Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 8:22:45 PM EDT
If you can download torrents, the interview spans hours 2, 3, and 4. Commercials are edited out so each 'hour' is around 14MB and 40 minutes long.

Coast.to.Coast.AM.RADIOSHOW.Jan.04.2008

Summary from the link:

Avian Flu Pandemic

Art Bell spoke with practicing internist Dr. Gary Ridenour about why he believes that avian flu represents the greatest health threat to mankind in the history of the world.

The current strain of avian flu kills about 60% of the people who contract it in as little as eight hours, Ridenour said. In order for it to become a pandemic, he explained, the virus must mutate down to a less lethal but far more infectious form that can be spread from one person to another. Ridenour estimates a one in three chance of an avian flu pandemic in the near future.

Though seemingly counterintuitive, Ridenour said the death rate will be highest among 20 to 40 year olds because they have the best immune systems. This is because the avian flu harnesses the immune system to attack and dissolve the tissue in the lungs. According to health experts, this "cytokine storm" is one of the main reasons so many young and healthy people died during the 1918 flu pandemic -- an outbreak that killed an estimated 50 to 100 million people, Ridenour noted.

He estimates this time up to one billion people could perish during the pandemic, but not solely from the virus' lethal effects. Instead, Ridenour believes many will not survive because of a disastrous infrastructure meltdown caused by the pandemic.

Ridenour noted that Tamiflu and other flu treatment drugs will likely not be an effective defense against the virus. If people can stay secluded indoors for the first 8-10 days of the outbreak, he recommended, there is a good chance they will survive the first wave.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:13:25 AM EDT
[#1]
cool, fewer people.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:59:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Any outbreak will bother me less than the government response.
article by Jerome Corsi
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i have to question some of what i have heard him discuss.

yes bird flu has a potential to be a pandemic. there are also another dozen or so strins of other viri that would be a MUCH more likely candidate and potentially just as fatal given an infrastructure melt down.

jmho but what i heard of that interview was fear mongering for ratings.

i think you're spot on.  take home message, from the above blurb and other articles i've read, that, regarding a pandemic, the question is not if, but when.  also, the melt down of the infrastructure will cause a great number of the problems.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Any outbreak will bother me less than the government response.
article by Jerome Corsi

that answers a question that i've had for a while.  some months back i read an article on the .gov' computer modeling of how to respond to a pandemic, similar to the 1918 pandemic.  the models indicated that quarantining entire neighborhoods, towns, etc., would likely prevent the pandemic.  my thought has been how in the world are they going to quarantine entire cities, there is no way.    and now w/ this quote, from the article, "The SPP plan gives primacy for avian and pandemic influenza management to plans developed by the WHO, WTO, U.N. and NAFTA directives – not decisions made by U.S. agencies,"  it becomes clear.

a big concern under quarantine, what happens to the unprepared masses, when, for some reason, the .gov fails to bring in food/water/medicine, etc., as promised.  the quarantine will end and people will search for food.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I am an emergency responder for my company. I visited an off site warehouse yesterday we own that was stocked to the ceiling with respirators and other "pandemic" supplies.
They are obviously expecting the worst.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am an emergency responder for my company. I visited an off site warehouse yesterday we own that was stocked to the ceiling with respirators and other "pandemic" supplies.

if you can, what company do you work for?  i understand if you don't want to, or can't mention.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#8]
No offense here intended w/ my question/sidetrack - but as there appears to CtoC listeners in this thread......

Anyone catch the 83 year old WWII veteran that called in at the end of Monday night's CtoC show and happen to mention he knew for a fact the US transported a non-dead Hilter to France after Germany surrendered?

Ya think he was telling the truth?

I never heard that before except from some looney-tune from Florida that calls himself Orion, who supposedly has pictures, taken in US of Hitler and other Nazis looong after the war....

Thought Hitler commited suicide, myself, but old guy sounded convincing and swore it was true.

mike

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#9]
If everything Art Bell clamied was true, we would have all died years ago.  What a fruitcake.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting...   Tyson chicken has found ABF in their Chickens....

www.wesh.com/health/16488170/detail.html
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Thankfully the subject of this topic isn't Art Bell or Coast to Coast AM.

www.lahontanvalleynews.com/article/20070918/News/109180034

Dr. Gary Ridenour, a popular Fallon physician, wants you to be prepared.

Twice voted "Best Doctor" by this paper's readers, Ridenour has written a book, "Pandemic," detailing the rippling effects from a potential worldwide pandemic stemming from avian flu and offers suggestions on how to best prepare for the worst.

"Because if you are prepared for the worst, whatever less than that can be handled," he writes in his introduction.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:54:34 AM EDT
[#12]
That can't be true. I heard Art say that Hitler and his crew went to live at the south pole with the aliens, bigfoot and the hollow earth people.
The show is entertainment. Every author is trying to get suckers to buy his or her book. Fear sells.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:39:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
thats funny the russians have a peice of his skull that tested dna positive for old adolph.

must have been his clone we captured.
he sacrificed part of his skull to back up the theory that he was dead and allow for an escape.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i used to have a tyson processing plant as one of my accounts. trust me ABF is the least of my worries on tyson products. i refuse to buy their meats. Others may be just as bad, but i have seen them first hand.

+1

If you ever saw inside a chicken processing plant, you'd never eat chicken again.  Unless you raise it yourself maybe.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i have to question some of what i have heard him discuss.

yes bird flu has a potential to be a pandemic. there are also another dozen or so strins of other viri that would be a MUCH more likely candidate and potentially just as fatal given an infrastructure melt down.

jmho but what i heard of that interview was fear mongering for ratings.

Would he be more concerned about bird flu because of its main delivery method (at least initially), birds?

I only ask b/c if I remember correctly you did some work a USAMRIID or the CDC and am interested in your opinion.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i used to have a tyson processing plant as one of my accounts. trust me ABF is the least of my worries on tyson products. i refuse to buy their meats. Others may be just as bad, but i have seen them first hand.

+1

If you ever saw inside a chicken processing plant, you'd never eat chicken again.  Unless you raise it yourself maybe.

+870

Tyson plant a few blocks from my business, hell just the chicken trucks are bad enough....
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if you can, what company do you work for?  i understand if you don't want to, or can't mention.

No name, we are a large oil co but not one of the largest.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Dr. Gary Ridenour is a tard. I can say this because I work as a Paramedic in Fallon, NV where he practices. He has such a poor reputation and is ethnically weak that in this town he has lost his priveliges at the hospital here and is not allowed in. This has been this way for the past few years. He is also well known in this town as being way too generous when handing out narcotic and controlled substance prescriptions that IMHO these patients have no business having meds like that. And to top it all off it's said that he was just arrested for his thrid DUI which is an automatic felony in Nevada. All that said, I've read about half of his book and I find it to be loaded with fluff. But I'm just a medic not a doctor. However I do know what 20 other doctors in this town think about him. And I also know that I would not trust him to practice medicine on myself or anyone in my family.

My $0.02
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If everything Art Bell clamied was true, we would have all died years ago.  What a fruitcake.

No kidding.  Weren't the poles supposed to reverse a few years back? That was gonna really screw shit up for every one.

Makes for some great late-night listening.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Dr. Gary Ridenour is a tard. I can say this because I work as a Paramedic in Fallon, NV where he practices. He has such a poor reputation and is ethnically weak that in this town he has lost his priveliges at the hospital here and is not allowed in. This has been this way for the past few years. He is also well known in this town as being way too generous when handing out narcotic and controlled substance prescriptions that IMHO these patients have no business having meds like that. And to top it all off it's said that he was just arrested for his thrid DUI which is an automatic felony in Nevada. All that said, I've read about half of his book and I find it to be loaded with fluff. But I'm just a medic not a doctor. However I do know what 20 other doctors in this town think about him. And I also know that I would not trust him to practice medicine on myself or anyone in my family.

My $0.02

Yikes. I have family in Fallon.
M
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 1:21:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

My $0.02

That's a pretty blistering indictment.

You may be right about the "Candyman" thing, since he's been disciplined by his state board in the past for being too cavalier with narcotics.  Hit this link and do a search for "Ridenour," and you'll see what I mean.

As an aside, medicine attracts a real mixed bag of people, including all sorts of abrasive, a**holish personality disorder types.  Even the flaming a**holes are usually tolerated, provided they're a good physician, and take good care of their patients... being a prick is bad, but being a sharp, dedicated doc covers a lot of sins.  He may be a fine physician... but when your own colleagues want nothing to do with you, that's not a good sign.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm sure overall he's a nice man personally. If he was my neighbor, I'd probably BBQ with the man. Just professionally and ethically I do not care for him. In my observations whenever I go to a call for a prescription overdose, a great deal of the time it's his name on the bottle compared to the other physicians in the area. Gotta love morphine, soma, lithium, valium, xanax, codiene, ativan, methadone, trazadone, elavil, prozac, etc. A great deal of the times pt's have more than one type of these meds and in very large quantities. Naturally, I'm not saying it's his name EVERY time nor his fault in any way these patients have overdosed. But geez! Dr. Feelgood is in the house!!!!!

IMHO, conditions such as restless leg syndrome, depression, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, anxiety, ADD, ADHD, etc are WAY over diagnosed throughout the entire medical field. Especially in children. Your not a kid anymore unless you have a cell phone by 7 years old and on at least two different pshych meds and possible seeing a certfified pediatric phsychiatrist two days a week. Naturally there are cases where people actually do suffer from some of the more legit conditions such as depression involving military personnel who have seen some shit and have returned home. But overall, get a grip on life! And above that quit trying to give your kids a better life through chemicals and actually be a parent and role model to them. Your kids might have ADHD because you never play with them and they spend hours in front of the XBOX eating nothing but sugar and sodas.

There's my rant, now I feel better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top