Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2007 6:53:18 PM EDT
I know lots keep an esbit stove, nalgene, etc. so what thoughts do you guys have on these?

Crusader Survival Unit

I'm sure someone will see some glaring problem that I don't see. Aside from the fact that I don't know what kind of pouch these might fit in.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Only problem I see is the price. I've been using the GI canteen cup and cook stand for years to good effect, and they are alot cheaper
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Only problem I see is the price. I've been using the GI canteen cup and cook stand for years to good effect, and they are alot cheaper

Quite true, but this is a canteen, cup, small pot and stove in one. It's not cheap but it seems a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]
lets start with the canteen, it's a british pattern 1958 water bottle...it has been the same style since 1958 and comes with a plastic mug which clamps/fits over the top...it also has been cheaply copied by a few countrys and companys..you can tell the real from the fakes by the cheap molding and no makers stamp also the plastic mug has metal rivets rather than plastic rivets on the real ones..most of the newer bottles have a OSPREY makers mark...the metal cup on the bottom of the water bottle is a new item on issue to the british army its called a "crusader mug" it comes in both stainless steel and teflon coated..before this mug the british troops never had a metal mug only the plastic one and had to use thier messtin  to heat food up...the stainless steel is issued to the british forces...the "cooker" or stove nests on the bottom of the mug and can use hexamine tabs,trioxane or that new jellied fuel now on issue to british forces...back in the day the water bottle was carried in the brit. canvas(a tight fit) p-58 water bottle carrier now its carried in the new nylon PLCE carrier(lots of room)as th pouches are cut big...also now carried in chest rigs and vest pockets....to answer your question its a good strong water bottle holds 1 ltr. i have a few real ones and use them all the time...i like brit. kit....vince g. 11b inf.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
So the whole thing is standard Brit gear? Is there a cheaper source?
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
yes,yes it is...it's a hit and mess thing, sometimes you can find them at the gunshows/surplus stores etc...also i think U.S. cavarly sells them in thier catalog or was it brigade quartermaster you'll have to look at thier catalogs....or you could look at british surplus web sites but i think the shipping is a killer....vince g. 11b inf..
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 2:07:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quite true, but this is a canteen, cup, small pot and stove in one. It's not cheap but it seems a good idea.

swede volcano stove ? lol ;p

IMHO..
USGI stuff would do just as well at 1/2 the cost, which leaves extra $$ for other gear or preps.

sorry. in my eyes 50$ for that is not what i'd spend, but  thats just me..i also refuse to  spend the extra 30$ for Ti gear when it saves me only 1-2 oz's YMMV
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:19:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

swede volcano stove ? lol ;p

IMHO..
USGI stuff would do just as well at 1/2 the cost, which leaves extra $$ for other gear or preps.

sorry. in my eyes 50$ for that is not what i'd spend, but  thats just me..i also refuse to  spend the extra 30$ for Ti gear when it saves me only 1-2 oz's YMMV

+1 on the GI surplus stuff. I recently picked up 2-new GI canteen stoves for $2.50 ea., and 3-used/VG SS canteen cups @ $2.34 each on Ebay. GI canteens are as cheap (or cheaper), and so is Trioxane fuel.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#8]
hey protus i think the volcano stove is Swiss not Swede..sorry bro do'nt mean to split hairs...in Arizona those stoves kind of dryed up on the surplus market and hard to find....vince g. 11b inf...
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Bear Grylls uses one....That's enough reason for me.

Being how weak the dollar is compared to the sterling, finding one at a decent price will be a challenge. Ebay might be an option. There are more than a few private sellers from the U.K. who won’t rape you on shipping, and can find just about any British kit you can imagine.

I have a British windproof smock coming in as we speak. The seller charged me 12 pounds, which is pretty good considering the distance involved.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I've just gotten a bunch of these guys from Sportsmans Guide. Theyre well made, have a cup that nests onto the bottom of the bottle, has a drink tube for your gas mask, fit a liter Nalgene pouch and, best of all, are 20 for $20. Yup, a buck each.

Clicky

A very good deal.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've just gotten a bunch of these guys from Sportsmans Guide. Theyre well made, have a cup that nests onto the bottom of the bottle, has a drink tube for your gas mask, fit a liter Nalgene pouch and, best of all, are 20 for $20. Yup, a buck each.

image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/115562_ts.JPG?cell=200,200&cvt=jpeg

Clicky

A very good deal.

If anyone needs one of these let me know. I know this is not the EE but I like these and have more than I need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top