Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2009 11:42:26 AM EDT
One topic I have not seen here, or in any of the 'survival fiction' I have read, is the use of an Anerobic Digester to produce fuel for a generator or cooking.
They work, cost nothing to run, as they are 'fueled' by anything from dead cats to yard waste,  and are fairly efficient.  Methane produced by one can be compressed and stored, and burns fine in a range, heater or generator.

As a fuel source in a novel like "Lights Out" or "Patriots", it would make sense.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
FINALLY, a use for dead cats!!!!  Thank you Mannlicher.....  c'mere you little fuzzy bastards meet Mr. Gamo Whisper.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a big one where I work.
Cuts the boiler gas bill down a few milion $$$ per year.

I'd say it's worth researching.

You need to adjust the PH to keep the "bugs" happy/healthy.
We use caustic for that, and for scrubbing the Hydrogen Sulfide
out of the poo gass before it gets compressed and sent to burn.

There is a lot to it, but may well be worth your effort.

Local community colleged often offer a course for Wastwater Treatment Operators...
Look into that.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
FINALLY, a use for dead cats dogs!!!!  

FIxed!

Gotta poke the hive...

I love both cats & dogs...let's not get carried away.

Oh, and this is not a tag for a novel use of my compost piles...

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We have a big one where I work.
Cuts the boiler gas bill down a few milion $$$ per year.

I'd say it's worth researching.

You need to adjust the PH to keep the "bugs" happy/healthy.
We use caustic for that, and for scrubbing the Hydrogen Sulfide
out of the poo gass before it gets compressed and sent to burn.

There is a lot to it, but may well be worth your effort.

Local community colleged often offer a course for Wastwater Treatment Operators...
Look into that.  

I have some friends here in town, that research these, build them custom for farms, and small towns, and a few for individual use.  

They have all the knowledge, skills, and practical knowledge regarding digester's anyone would ever need.

I would love to see sustainable technology like this incorporated into some of today's survival fiction.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if it's possible to tap off gas from a domestic septic system in this manner?

Anyone know?

Might not be a lot of output unless you have a huge family.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#7]
the fellows I know say the hottest fuel for a digester that they have ever found, is the waste water from Tempeh production.

In a survival community, the sustainable production of Soy Tempeh, would provide high quality protein, and the waste would produce the fuel needed to cook the beans, and to power a stove or generator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top