Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2011 10:52:54 AM EDT
Ok, so it is time to replace my ATV tires.

To the best of my knowledge (did search) this has not been covered. and since we don't have a ATV forum/thread (unless I missed it in my search).

After much research online, I am more confused than when I started. BUT...............  I think I have it narrowed down to ITP Mud Lites AT. 6ply.

The Dunlops just aren't doing it. I have plugged them so many times (Damn Locust Tree Thorns), and sliced/gouged from creeks and hillsides.

So I think I am going with a 6ply.

Help me out.

I use my 400cc Utility ATV for hunting, trail riding, playing in the snow, farm/chore work.

Looking for a little more aggressive bite than the Dunlop KT125s (no longer made).

So basically an all around tire. (Tire Size will be 25x11-10, or 25x12-10)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any recommendations?

Where to find best price on tires online?
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#1]
The MudLites will be a good upgrade for you.  They are fairly popular on ATVs in Alaska which run in rugged and varied terrain.

I run MudLite XTR radials on by Rhinos and Grizzly.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I run a set of MudLite XTR too!  They are 6 ply and radials!    I have over 1500 miles on them and they are holding up nicely!  
I run 27x9x14 in the front and 27x11x14 in the back.
I have run them in the mud, sand dunes, rock crawling, and even plenty of miles on the pavement!   They continue to impress me!  
Here is a good pic of them with around 1,000 miles.  This was taken in Moab, UT.

Here is one on the Paiute trail in Marysvale, UT

Now what ever tires you do get, I would suggest you get them balanced!   All 4 tires took over 3 ounces of weight, and it made a HUGE difference!  
They ride like a dream! Hope this helps!

ETA:  Rockey Mountain ATV has them...      http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=138&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webCatId=8&keyword=+xtr&prodFamilyId=5361

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

SNIP

Now what ever tires you do get, I would suggest you get them balanced! All 4 tires took over 3 ounces of weight, and it made a HUGE difference!

Interesting.

I did not even consider this. (Makes sense, just didn't think of it)

Where did you get it done at?

I was just at ATV dealer price checking tires. I asked about mounting, and Parts Rep said have to check with Service rep.

So I go to Service, and they want $48 to mount 2 tires. I just looked at him .

To my knowledge, Firestone, Goodyear, etc.. don't have a machine that will handle the small ATV tires.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

Now what ever tires you do get, I would suggest you get them balanced! All 4 tires took over 3 ounces of weight, and it made a HUGE difference!

Interesting.

I was just at ATV dealer price checking tires. I asked about mounting, and Parts Rep said have to check with Service rep.

To my knowledge, Firestone, Goodyear, etc.. don't have a machine that will handle the small ATV tires.

Yikes!  $48 seems a bit steep!

When I bought mine, I also got my set of 14" rims.  They were already mounted when I got them.   A friend of mine has a local auto shop.

He had his guy balance them for free! It was funny because everyone in the shop thought they were for my Truck.   One of the wheels took almost 6 ounces!  The best wheel was 3.5 ounces!  A few weeks later my cousin made me take his set in to have them balance too.  It took a lot of high speed (50mph+) shimmy out of the bars.  I am very happy with my set up!  Everyone thinks I am crazy to have done this, that is until they take it for a spin!

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for the Mudlite XTR's!!!!  My favorite tire, very aggressive, very durable.  Got a flat 30 miles into a trail that could not be plugged.  Had to go another 20 miles to get off the trail on the flat tire and did not do any damage to the rim.  These tires are the toughest.  I would also go to some little mom and pop tire place to get the tires installed and balanced.  If you take them to an atv shop or big name store (Discount) they will charge you an arm and a leg if they will even touch them at all.  Good luck. Happy ridin.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Vampire Tires AWSOME tire

Mudzilla Love em wear like Iron Ride real good Super traction Last forever

Good year Mud runner Great all around tire

I ride in Everything From Snow To rock to mud to Tar roads to swamps

Plow Snow U name it.

Had Mud lights great In Snow But wore out real fast on the rear of my Machine

Right now i am running  Mudzillas And there the best so Far and next is Vampires Super tough tires
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had great luck with the ITP's, but run the 589's.  I would not hesitate at all to run the Mudlites.  ITP makes good stuff.  Drop some Slime in those tires also.  Every time you see a green dot appear, you know you just saved yourself a plug!!!

Doc
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 3:28:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Carlisle AT489, 8 ply. I have over a 1,000 miles on them so far and no flats, no big gouges, not a thing.
They are on a 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 660.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Love my Maxxis Bighorns!

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
SNIP

Interesting.

I was just at ATV dealer price checking tires. I asked about mounting, and Parts Rep said have to check with Service manager

I use to work at a Firestone and we dismounted and mounted alot of ATV tires with a Coats rim clamp, the key is to braking them down is leaving alil air in the tires, after braking one bead down air it back up but stop before the bead pops back on and thin brake the other bead, it takes only a couple minutes per wheel.

Link Posted: 11/7/2011 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Would there be any need to balance the tires if you run slime?

Doc
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#13]
X2 on the Bighorns. Tough as nails, don't wear at all, and are radial. Be a perfect tire for your terrain. And they are excellent in the snow as well.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#14]
What size are those Bighorns? Im looking for a set that will look good on my rancher
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What size are those Bighorns? Im looking for a set that will look good on my rancher

AT26X11R14 in the rear

AT26X9R14 in the front

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 3:23:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a set of Bighorns on my Honda Rincon, and I love them. Great tire for all conditions, they don't wear fast, rugged as hell.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I use a Kenda Excalibur. They are on the inexpensive side. Like $70.00 each and despite their looks are quite smooth and quiet.

I have had them in the muskeg in Alaska, The sand dunes of the Oregon coast, Low desert trails and High mountain terrain of Arizona. Never had a problem. Only regret is not stepping up a size from stock.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#18]
My Rancher has a set of the Bighorn knock-offs, and so far they are great;

Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd recommend Bighorns as well.  I have close to 2300 miles on my latest set and they still have a LOT of tread left.

I don't want to knock anyone's tire choice, but, we call MudLites "PlugLites" for a reason...
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#20]
If you like Big Horns try GBC Dirt Tamers, they look like big horns but are 1/2 the price 6ply.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Currently trying a set of PitBull Growlers.  More expensive, but, made in the USA.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I run big-horn radials on on my grizzly700.  I'm happy with them.  I put about 400 miles on them and they still look new, never had any flats.  They're not the best in deep mud but they do very well everywhere else.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'd recommend Bighorns as well. I have close to 2300 miles on my latest set and they still have a LOT of tread left.

I don't want to knock anyone's tire choice, but, we call MudLites "PlugLites" for a reason...

This is what I was trying to get away from.

Locust tree thorns are a PIA.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm running 6ply zillas with about 1600 miles on them. Very little wear showing. Ride is ok except at 2 or 3 mph(lots of vibration). They really like picking up sticks and stuffing them in really hard to get to places. I think next time I'm going to try the Big horns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top