Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 11:54:54 AM EDT
So, I'm shopping around for some more AA rechargeable batteries. I already have quite a few Eneloop batteries, but now I'm looking for something very specific: the highest capacity AA battery on the market. While the Eneloops are great for holding their charge, I find that they're rather lacking in capacity for my flashlights. I don't mind having to charge my flashlight batteries ever week, but I hate my light going dead when I need it.

So, let's have a treasure hunt. Whoever finds me the highest capacity AA NiMH battery in the next 72 hours wins... my gratitude.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Of all the ones I have used... Eneloop. I saw your thread and was going to say exactly those. So you are ahead of the power curve.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
How about these?

Delkin 2900mAh AA

While I haven't used these, I can heartily endorse Thomas Distributing and their products.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
While the Eneloops are great for holding their charge, I find that they're rather lacking in capacity for my flashlights. I don't mind having to charge my flashlight batteries ever week, but I hate my light going dead when I need it.

Honestly, there really isn't much real-world difference in run-time between a 2200 mAH Eneloop and a conventional 2800 mAH Sanyo or similar NiMH cell - and the difference quickly shifts in the Eneloop's favor after they've been sitting on the shelf for just a week or so. It seems like the more capacity they try to cram into an AA cell, the faster it self-discharges. The shelf life of my high-capacity NiMH Sanyos and Duracells is absolutely pathetic.

For this reason, I've pretty much abandoned them, in favor of 2200 mAH Kodak pre-charged cells (which are functionally identical to the Eneloops) - In my high-drain flashlights, they always deliver their advertised capacity - even after sitting on the shelf for 6 months.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Bah. I was hoping someone had some hidden, magical 4 trazillion mAH cell out there somewhere. Guess I'll just stick with my Eneloops.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
While the Eneloops are great for holding their charge, I find that they're rather lacking in capacity for my flashlights. I don't mind having to charge my flashlight batteries ever week, but I hate my light going dead when I need it.

Honestly, there really isn't much real-world difference in run-time between a 2200 mAH Eneloop and a conventional 2800 mAH Sanyo or similar NiMH cell - and the difference quickly shifts in the Eneloop's favor after they've been sitting on the shelf for just a week or so. It seems like the more capacity they try to cram into an AA cell, the faster it self-discharges. The shelf life of my high-capacity NiMH Sanyos and Duracells is absolutely pathetic.

For this reason, I've pretty much abandoned them, in favor of 2200 mAH Kodak pre-charged cells (which are functionally identical to the Eneloops) - In my high-drain flashlights, they always deliver their advertised capacity - even after sitting on the shelf for 6 months.

I have many questions regarding this post so please answer them all...

I thought Eneloops were 2000 mah rated, not 2200 mah.  Is there a new Eneloop?  I thought Sanyo had 2700 and 2900 mah batteries and no 2800.  Can you provide links to the 2200 mah Eneloops and 2800 mah Sanyo?  

I have seen studies where 2700 mah sanyo batts have more juice at 3 months than Enenloops after 3 months sitting around after a full charge.  Can you provide a link to the testing that shows Eneloops outperforming any decent battery within 3 months?  I thought the crossover lines were past 6 months (I think regular 2700 mah Sanyos have more mah left at a 1A draw at 6 months) and hundreds of cycles for Eneloops to perform better other than voltage and the amount of current you can draw off them.  I know at 100 recharge cycles the Eneloops have significantly less capacity... perhaps you are reffering to batteries with over 100 recharge cycles sitting around and the Eneloops are giving a small edge in performance at that point?

I know the Kodak precharged cells are NOT functionally identical to Eneloops.  They have a higher mah rating but lower voltage and cannot sustain heavy draws.  I want to say Eneloops have consistant .1 V higher voltage and they have almost 200 mah less capacity if I remember correctly.  Eneloops work at a 10A draw and Kodak fall flat for sure at 6A and perhaps at anything over 4A.  THis is what I remember off the top of my head.  This is totally dissimilar performance to me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:30:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought some Ultralast 2600 mAh NiMH AA's at Fry's in Houston and have been pretty pleased with them.
I remember thinking when I bought them that they were cheap, so I didn't expect much.
However, I put them in my streamlight sidewinder and they work pretty well and have held a charge for about 6 months or so.
(light use of the flashlight)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top