Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2008 9:29:21 AM EDT
I have a Montana trip next month for elk.

I have primarily used Failsafe, but haven't gone out West for a couple years, so I'm not sure if there are better offerings. The 300 just collects dust here in Florida.

What is the best commercial ammo available. Probably won't be reaching out beyond 300 yards.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think Winchester is loading the Failsafe any longer. If you still have some and it fires through your rifle accurately I would stick with it. I don't know that there has been a better built bullet for large game. If you are out of the Failsafe and need something new I would look at the new Accubond. It seems to be the next generation of the Failsafe. I didn't notice a significant shift of point of impact when I switched form one to the other in my .270 Win.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at Hornady's Custom ammunition.  Excellent ammo.  For Elk go with a minimum of 165gr.  I like the new InterBond bullets. Hornady's InterBond is pretty much the same thing as Nosler's Accubond.

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=938920

Never mind... you said you have a .300WSM -I don't believe Hornady makes .300 WSM ammo..  In that case, I have heard good things about Federal Vital-Shock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 4:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Failsafes were the only thing I could get to group well out of my A bolt 300 wsm, but very hard to find anyone that still has them around here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all.

I still have a couple boxes, so I won't recreate the wheel.

Keib
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
My Sako really likes the Win 180 gr Supreme Ballistic Silvertip.  I used to shoot Fed Premium 180 gr Nosler Accubonds, but I found my rifle likes the Silvertips much better.  I've tried six different loads for the rifle and it loves some and hates the rest.  It's expensive, but try several different loads - you never know which load your gun will like.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 6:37:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I ordered a couple boxes of Win Supreme 180 Accubonds.

I was shooting the Win Super X 180 yesterday and had dificulty keeping 4" groups @ 200 yards.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it an A-bolt?
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is it an A-bolt?

Sorry, I hadn't checked the thread since I last posted. Its a Win. Mod 70.

Successful hunt. 2 elk and a mule deer. Ammo did its job. The muley was taken on the last afternoon of the hunt and I had to reach out to 410 yards. Vertical was perfect, but bullet drifted to the back of the boiler room. We brought back 400+ lbs of meat and donated the remainder to Hunters for Hunger. When I get pictures together, I'll share them.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on the accubond.

Keib
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I just shot a 450+ lb cow elk @ 180 yds with my .300 WSM this past weekend.  I shoot Winchester 180 gr Ballistic Silvertips.  I hit her high in the right shoulder and the bullet exited high on the left shoulder.  The elk literally dropped in her tracks.  I won't use any other load in my rifle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#10]
i use my 300wsm here to hunt deer and hogs....
wasnt to impressed with how the win 108gr SP  silver box did on the hog but deads dead,,,,

and yes i agree its a lil over kill for here, but i got it to hunt  elk,mosse,bear etc in canada but hunt here more..
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I was not very impressed with the expansion of the Failsafes.  The Accubonds loaded by Winchester have woked well for me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#12]
If you go by price, then Winchester XP3's or something loaded with Barnes MRX bullets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top