Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2012 4:51:16 PM EDT
I went to load up on some more Celebrity hams ($2 for $5) and saw next to them Hormel Compleats roast beef and gravy for the same price. I bought a couple and me and a daughter tried them for lunch.  Not bad. About on par with school cafeteria food.  They are pretty neat. Fully cooked and no refrigeration required.  I think these could be very handy for camping, bugout, power outage, etc.

typo edited.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I went to load up on some more Celebrity hams ($2 for $5) and saw next to them Hormel Compleats roast beef and gravy for the same price. I bought a couple and me and a daughter tried them for lunch.  Not bad. About on par with school cafeteria food.  They are pretty neat. Fully cooked and refrigeration required.  I think these could be very handy for camping, bugout, power outage, etc.

No refrigeration required? I goto Walgreens for a lot of FAK prep. Cheaper than CVS.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry.  Correct, NO refrigeration required.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 5:35:29 AM EDT
[#3]
When these came out they were on sale at my grocery store.  I bought several to put away.  They're not bad at all.  Just add water and heat.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#4]
My local one had knit stocking caps two for $3 a few weeks ago.  I got four –– and wore one shoveling this morning.

Two is one, one is none, four is two.

I also caught either a back-to-chool sale, or the close out of that stuff, and got alot of stainless steal water bottles cheap.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you post a pic of the container?  I looked at my Walgreens but didn't see them.  But I'm bad at shopping if I don't know what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Just watch the sodium intake on these things. Personally, I think TEOTWAWKI will be a high-stress, high-activity environ where a little extra sodium won't be as bad for you as it is in a non-TEOTWAWKI situation (and, really, it beats starving), but just be aware that meals like this usually are high in salt. Additionally, assuming the standard 2000-calories-per-day baseline that these dietary tables are based on, a meal like this would only provide 1/9th of your daily requirement of calories.

But, math and nutrition aside, after a long day of pulling people off rooftops, manning barricades, and hanging looters from lampposts it would be nice to be able to have a hot meal of comfort food.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just watch the sodium intake on these things. Personally, I think TEOTWAWKI will be a high-stress, high-activity environ where a little extra sodium won't be as bad for you as it is in a non-TEOTWAWKI situation (and, really, it beats starving), but just be aware that meals like this usually are high in salt. Additionally, assuming the standard 2000-calories-per-day baseline that these dietary tables are based on, a meal like this would only provide 1/9th of your daily requirement of calories.

But, math and nutrition aside, after a long day of pulling people off rooftops, manning barricades, and hanging looters from lampposts it would be nice to be able to have a hot meal of comfort food.

In that scenario, my "comfort food" will be the blood of my enemies!

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks very interesting.  What's the shelf life?
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks very interesting.  What's the shelf life?

looks to be 18 months, but read the reviews online before buying.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:45:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:22:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to eat these for lunch all the time, they are pretty tasty, but I wouldn't really consider them a prep item. They don't really do anything canned foods can't do (aside from being a little more convenient to prepare), and shelf life doesn't compare to canned foods. More expensive, too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#14]

I like to keep a couple of those in my office for lunch when the weather sucks.  Can usually get them at WalMart or Target for $2.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#15]
The Hormel Completes roast beef and mashed w/ gravy was very good tasting for a prepared food IMO.  I find the vast majority of pre-prepared beef products to be disgusting, and I was able to enjoy this one.  The only real issue I had with it was I am not a huge eater, but I thought the portion size was a bit on the small side.  I suppose if you add a couple slices of bread and a small desert/snack it makes for a pretty fair lunch.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a couple cases put aside, I got them from Amazon. Walmart carries the meals for 1.98 each.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I like to keep a couple of those in my office for lunch when the weather sucks.  Can usually get them at WalMart or Target for $2.

This.
I get them at walmart all the time.
They are not bad, but not a lot of calories.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They make red label (normal), blue label (not sure) and green label ("healthy") Compleats.  The green ones have in general about 1/2 the sodium, lower fat, etc compared to the red labels.

I haven't tried it but if the power is out and you have an alternate source of cooking heat, you can drop the sealed tray into boiling water to heat it up (or just eat it cold)
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a couple cases put aside, I got them from Amazon. Walmart carries the meals for 1.98 each.

Wal-Mart also occasionally carries the Hormel "Dona Maria Platillos" version - Uses the same no-refrigeration packaging as the "Completes", but the recipes are targeted at the Latin-American market. Most of the items are very spicy, and are usually served with rice or tortillas - Great for getting your SHTF Mexican food fix.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that scenario, my "comfort food" will be the blood of my enemies!

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#21]
And just an FYI on them.. they last WAY longer than their best by date.

I found 2 hidden all the way in the back of my store room shelving from when I stocked them a while back.  I was rotating some canned goods and they must have fallen back there.  "Best by" date was Oct 2006.  I ate one of them last week, it was just as good as new.

I used to stock them more then I do now.. but they are great.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top