Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2014 7:24:41 AM EDT
Now that the US Postal Service has stopped selling International Reply Coupons (IRC), how does one send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to a foreign contact, in order to receive a return QSL card?

I know about eQSL.  I prefer a mailed card. Call me old-fashioned.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd like one or 2 myself, but wondering how much trouble it is.

HS
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want a QSL card then you are going to have to include between $3.00 to $5.00 cash. You don't send an SASE to them.

International Postage Rates

Its not going to be cheap to get paper qsls.  International Postage rates went up for many of the EU countries, so $2.00 might not be enough.

If you check, many of the DX staions will send you a QSL card by sending them money via Paypal.  Email the DX station and ask them if they will do this.

I just got Vietnam by emailing the QSL manager and sending him $3.50 via Paypal.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at there QRZ page

most will ask for one or two "greenstamps"

that's a US Dollar bill

just send them a SASE envelope and a buck or two,  . .  you'll also need an international stamp, availible at your local post office.

more and more dxpaditions are going to QRSS paypal

which is were you send them paypal and they send you a card.

--------------------
edit, because kekoa is right, I said SASE by habit
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#4]
You don't send a "stamped"  self addressed envelope.

You send a self addressed envelope and green stamps (U. S. dollar bills).  Most will request two green stamps, but some are even more (check their QRZ.com site). If they don't say, then you can check the postal rates for their country here, and send an appropriate number of green stamps.

Never put their call sign in the address when you send them your card, and "hide" the green stamps in the return envelope that you send them.  This will help to deter mail theft.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#5]
here's an example

http://www.qrz.com/db/V55V

V55V Namibia flag Namibia
CONTEST CALL
Operated from the QTH of Martin V51W
Omaruru
Namibia

QSL since 2007:

Alfons Niehoff DJ8VC
Ernst-Hase-Weg 6
48282 Emsdetten
Germany

* Via buro or direct

* QSL direct with 1 NEW irc or 2 green stamps and 1 self adrest envelope is QSL direct return

* QSL direct without irc's or green stamps is QSL return via buro

* QSL via buro is QSL via buro return
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His home address is Germany
send him a QSL, an envenlope, and $2 hidden inside.

His card looks just like that pic.  

-----------------------------------------------

the bureau or "buro" is another way to get cards, it's a lot slower, but it works

http://www.arrl.org/incoming-qsl-service
http://www.arrl.org/outgoing-qsl-service

If you've worked some DX,  you've probably got cards waiting at the buro for you.
send them some large envelopes, because after a while, they throw them away if they don't hear from you

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#6]
As others have mentioned, green stamps seem to be requested more often these days.  You can also buy IRC's from QSL managers in the US.  You can contact some US based QSL managers and inquire if they have them for sale, or browse through the classifieds on some of the Ham forums.  
I mostly save the IRC's I am sent from other countries, and send them out only for the contacts that specifically request them in order to get a card.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Paper QSL cards are the best.

Opening up the mailbox, and getting a card is like getting the new BROWNELLS catalog.
something cool besides bills and junkmail

here's some of the more colorfull ones,...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top