Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2009 9:07:16 AM EDT
I know I have seen these in some of your stuff, and it seems like a useful and LIGHT way to have backup copies of important documents and info.

My question:  What do you have on yours and which bag would you carry it in?  

I have the dillema of (either bag) it will be in my vehicle.  If my vehicle is broken in to, too much informatin could be used for ID theft or some other crap.  I'd like to have bank acct info, life insurance and homeowners policy info, wills and POA's, copies of titles to vehicles and property, serial numbers and photos of firearms and important pictures.   See what I mean.  

What do those of you that have these have on yours and what about encryption??  Can you password protect the info?  How hard would it be to crack??

Maybe I'm just paranoid....

Doesn't mean they're not watching me though...

Link Posted: 1/17/2009 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a couple Ironkeys. First, scan all your paper work into your computer. Then go download and use Truecrypt. Copy the Truecrypt encrypted files to the Ironkeys, which will encrypt them all over again with the hardware encryption. Keep one in your BOB, and send one on to a relative or something waaaaaay out of your area. If you want a backup backup, burn the Truecrypted files to a CD, DVD, or old-style MiniDisc (not the new ones as they're magneto-optical).

If someone can get to your information after you've done all that, you've got bigger problems (i.e. why'd you piss off 4chan?)

––GD
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#2]

http://archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=608288
http://archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=460965
http://archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=496737
http://archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=504485
http://archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=612892
http://archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=609433

here is my encrypted directory structure:

auto/
- pics of my truck and wifes car.
- scan of vehicle registrations for above.
- scan of vehicle insurance for above.
- pdf repair manual for my truck.

bins/
- binaries of applications, e.g. Acrobat, Truecrypt, EchoLink, Firefox Portable, PortaPutty, etc

financial/
- prior year tax return
- scan of bank account statement.
- scan of employer paystub.
- scan of employer 401K account.
- scan of Fidelity brokerage account statement.
- scan of one each credit card statements.

firearms/
- scan of any transaction records proving i'm the lawful owner.
- pics of weapons for insurance purposes.
- name, address, & number of a couple of FFL's.
- PDF versions of teardown/cleaning manuals.

gps/
- PDF manuals for my Etrex and Magellan RM800.
- latest application to download new firmware to gps's in case of corruption.

ham/
- scan of amateur radio license.
- scan of RACES/ARES cards.
- pics of rigs for insurance purposes.
- field expedient antenna construction articles.
- PDF user manuals for VX170, IC24AT, IC703+, V8000, FT8800, etc
- FRS/GMRS/MURS frequencies.
- various frequency reference guides for local police/fire/govt.

house/
- scan of deed.
- scans of mortgage paperwork.
- scans of any township docs (tax assessment, etc).

insurance/
- scan of homeowner's insurance policy.
- pictures of items which have non-trivial replacement costs (e.g., wife's engagement ring).
- scans of appraisals for any items which have non-trivial replacement costs.
- scan of life insurance policy
- scan of will

maps/
- East coast, state, and county maps in PDF format.
- above, annotated with PDF postnotes regarding "places of interest".

medical/
- PDF of FM4-25.11, basic military first aid.
- PDF for proper application of a tourniquet in the field.
- various other first aid reference manuals.

numbers/
- scan of household address book, includes all family/friends/etc.
- PDF of number directory at work.
- text file with contents of cellphone memory.

passports/
- scans of my and my wife's passports.

pics/
- family pictures.
- parents / siblings pictures.

shtf/
- SHTF planning documents
- PDF survival guides, desert/blizzard/shelter building/etc
- 14 part PDF survival document from WHO
> 1 - Cleaning and disinfecting wells.pdf
> 2 - Cleaning and disinfecting boreholes.pdf
> 3 - Cleaning and disinfecting water storage tanks.pdf
> 4 - Rehabilitating small-scale water distributions systems.pdf
> 5 - Emergency treatment of drinking water.pdf
> 6 - Rehabilitating water treatment works.pdf
> 7 - Solid waste management in emergencies.pdf
> 8 - Disposal of dead bodies.pdf
> 9 - Minimum water quantity.pdf
> 10 - Essential hygiene messages.pdf
> 11 - How to measure chlorine residual.pdf
> 12 - Delivering safe water.pdf
> 13 - Emergency sanitation - planning.pdf
> 14 - Emergency sanitation - technical.pdf

wallet/
- scans (front and back) of everything in my wallet, incl credit cards, DL, NJ FID, social security card, employer ID, healthcare cards, etc. note that it's important to scan the back as there is always useful info there –– for example, generally the "report lost/stolen card" contact number for your credit card company is on the back.

––––––

anyway, that's what i have on my 1GB USB key. my Truecrypt file is 400MB big, and i keep a copy of that same file on my home PC, my wife's laptop, my work computer, and obviously on my USB key on my person. once a year i snail-mail a burned CD to my parents out in PA, and tell them to put it in with their important papers.

forgot to say that you should dupe everything for your wife/SO/GF

––––

Quoted:
Secure it with
www.truecrypt.org/
-Foxxz

+ 1,048,576.

the HUGE ADVANTAGE with using TrueCrypt over a "hardware encrypted USB drive" is that you can store, copy, transmit, duplicate, etc etc your TrueCrypt vault (= a file) as many times as you want, in as many places as you want, on as many types of media as you want.

in other words, you fell into the water, your USB key is ruined?

no problem, your TrueCrypt vault is also on your PC's hard drive at home, on your PC at work, on another USB flash drive in your BOB, on another USB flash drive in your BOV center console, on a CD at your parents house in a drawer, on a CD in a safe deposit box in a bank, on a networked server fileshare on the other side of the world, etc etc etc.

2 is 1, 1 is none.
having one HW-encrypted store of your stuff is a single point of failure.

ar-jedi

ETA, from a prior post

Quoted:
FYI is there any advantage to the thumb drive over a couple of CD's?

the USB drive is easily updatable as new info is found/old info is changed. the USB key is easier to hang around your neck, or stuff in your BOB/pack. but keep reading...

Quoted:
Can you set a password for the thumb drive?

don't encrypt the entire USB key. instead, see my link above for TrueCrypt software (open source, free, very good). use it to make an encrypted container, and that's where your docs will go into.

ETA:
the main reason you don't want to encrypt the entire key is that in order to decrypt the key on some random computer you found, you would first need to install the decryption software. which you would get from where? so there is a chicken-vs-egg problem.

hence, make a container within the USB key; encrypt that. OUTSIDE THE CONTAINER, place the truecrypt installer application AND use the "Make Traveller" function from within truecrypt. the latter will add all the necessary bits to the USB key to unencrypt the container without having to actully install truecrypt on the PC. and, having the actual installer application is just backup.

don't make the container larger than about 600-650MB. why not? keep reading...

Quoted:
Is it EMP proof?

no one knows. so, in true ARFCOM fashion, "get both". make a CD copy once every 6 months or so, and perhaps keep a second USB key in an RF proof box somewhere with the rest of your electronic SHTF stuff. nevertheless, if there is an EMP strong enough to take out your USB key, it probably means you have huge problems forthcoming!

as noted way way way above, i periodically make a copy of my USB key onto a CD, and send it off to my parents in another state (aka cheap offsite storage). this is why you should not make the encrypted container larger than 600-650MB –– otherwise it will not fit onto a CD.

ar-jedi

––––

also

http://www.truecrypt.org/
http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/05/10/03/2214221.shtml?tid=126&tid=198&tid=4
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You could use truecrypt or other products to encrypt the USB key...or you could just go with an Ironkey

Jon

ETA - obviously my posting fu is weak and slow compared to others here...

Link Posted: 1/17/2009 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#4]
There was a really good blog written by a guy down in NO before and after Katrina, but I can't remember the address.

He mentioned storing data on a thumbdrive for just such an emergency.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There was a really good blog written by a guy down in NO before and after Katrina, but I can't remember the address.

Here's the link:

The place with no name
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on shanes blog..    G&HYSTG (Get and Have your Sh*t Together)

He has a very nice step by step and reccomendations on what to have.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Great info here, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the great info fellas...  I D/L'd TrueCrypt and have figured it out to sufficiently make it work for me.  Looks like a great program and the traveller disk is a great feature.  

Lots of good info as to what to put into the package too...  I was swimming a bit when I first got started on this, but you all were a great help.

Stay safe!
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one I put together but there are some really good suggestions in those archive links I have not considered!  Time to revaluate my emergency files!
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Great thread...

Keepass may interest some of you for your SHTF flash drives.

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#11]
good stuff
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 for the ironkey
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 4:20:21 AM EDT
[#13]
You can also put the USB drive in a tube vault from county comm if you're worried about damaging it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the Corsair Survivor. All aluminum tube with sealed o-rings and plenty of storage. You can use an encrypted partition to store data and also run a Linux Live disto along with Windows portable apps to cover all the bases

––Slax Live Linux USB
––Portable Apps (Firefox, OpenOffice, etc)
––TrueCrypt USB Drive Encryption
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Big +1 on the Iron key.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the link:

The place with no name

Wow!
Good Stuff!
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks all that replied (i.e. AR-Jedi). I'm currently waiting on my flatbed scanner to arrive. The info provided helped put my mind at ease (and the wife's too...)

No matter what the SHTF scenario is, IMO, its beter to have the info you want / need outside the house rather than wait for the FD to retrieve your firebox (unlikely) or the Zombies to stop eating youe potato chips (equally unlikely).

As soon as my scanner gets here, I intend to start backing up all my important .doc's.

Thanks again to all that helped steer me in the right direction...
Link Posted: 2/8/2009 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I just ran across this.  Great info guys.  I was getting ready to do this myself on my next vaca.

FB
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a flash drive about 3yr ago.  It has accidently been through the washing machine one time and another time through the washer and dryer and still works.  I forget the brand right now but it was nothing special.  These things are pretty tough.

Rick
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is there some trick that I can use to find these threads?  All of them dump me at the main archive page.

hmmm... they used to work... ???

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/13/2009 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Good information here. I have a spare 2GB that I found that I thought I had lost and replaced with a 4GB so I was thinking on using the 2GB Model for my Emergency Backup Files.
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#23]
another thought: if you use a cell phone with a micro SD flash card, you could load your true crypt file onto it, and it will be riding hidden in your phone, more likely to be on your person than a USB key drive might be.
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
micro SD flash card, you could load your true crypt file onto it

you'd still have to carry a micro SD card reader around –– they aren't std on every PC by a long shot.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#25]
There's also a Linux distro called KNOPPIX that has a burn to flash option that will allow you to basically boot into a reduced Linux operating system from the flash drive.  You can have the OS, documents, apps to read the documents, etc. all located on the thumbdrive.  If you can access BIOS to boot from USB, you'll be able to use any computer you run across to access your information.  So store everything in Adobe .pdf, etc. and put the reader on the flashdrive (or OpenOffice for word docs/spreadsheets/small databases/etc).  
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
micro SD flash card, you could load your true crypt file onto it

you'd still have to carry a micro SD card reader around –– they aren't std on every PC by a long shot.

ar-jedi

my strategy there is that it would be far easier to procure a new adapter than it would be to replace all the information anyways, and many PCs have reader slots in them nowadays with the proliferation of digital cameras. One of the Micro SD to Mini SD adapters can be had very cheaply and stuck in your wallet.

ETA: Also, the Micro SD file, in my case, is intended to duplicate copies I have on USB drives.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#27]
After having two different computers crash and lose alot of pictures, documents, etc. I have learned to back up almost everything on thumb drives and DVD's...It only makes sense to do so for natural and man made emergencies as well. This is one of the better threads I have read in a while. Keep the info. coming people.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#28]
There is also a product out there called PING (partition image not ghost) that allows you to do a it copy of your entire hard drive.  It essentially takes a snapshot of the drive and puts it in an 'image' file (a group of files) so that you can write it to a new hard drive, etc.  Beats a backup as it takes ALL of your hard drive info, not just backup files and incrementals.  No re-installation of the OS, products, etc - just re-write it to the drive and you're good to go.  It runs off a CD (iso image download that you burn to a disc), but you could probably put it on a USB as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There is also a product out there called PING (partition image not ghost) that allows you to do a it copy of your entire hard drive.  It essentially takes a snapshot of the drive and puts it in an 'image' file (a group of files) so that you can write it to a new hard drive, etc.  Beats a backup as it takes ALL of your hard drive info, not just backup files and incrementals.  

i looked around but i can't seem to find a 500GB USB flash card.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is also a product out there called PING (partition image not ghost) that allows you to do a it copy of your entire hard drive.  It essentially takes a snapshot of the drive and puts it in an 'image' file (a group of files) so that you can write it to a new hard drive, etc.  Beats a backup as it takes ALL of your hard drive info, not just backup files and incrementals.  

i looked around but i can't seem to find a 500GB USB flash card.  

ar-jedi

The copy gets put on an external drive, or another drive in the system - not the USB.  The USB would just carry the iso image of the PING software so you could do backups/recovery without a CD.  It also allows you to do compression, and doesn't copy the pagefile and other empty space so you wouldn't need an entire 500 GB.

Link Posted: 2/16/2009 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#31]
So, what woult the "Image" of a 500 BG HD relate to in a (JPG???) file?  How much data could you cram into an image and have it be reliable?
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So, what woult the "Image" of a 500 BG HD relate to in a (JPG???) file?  How much data could you cram into an image and have it be reliable?

an "image" is geek-speak for an "exact copy" –– as in all the bits.  as in "mirror image".  it has nothing to do with JPEG-encoded digital photographs.

to make an example for you...

you have a hard drive in a computer that you use daily.
you "image" it using Ghost or PING or similar application to copy all of the data into a big image file.
(in this context: all = everything; your documents, your applications, the operating system, everything)
you transfer the image file to another media, say a DVD or perhaps a portable disk.
you insert the DVD/attach the portable disk to a second computer.
now you run the original application again, and unpack the image onto the second computer.
when you are done, the second computer is an exact clone of the first.

the problems with this approach have always been threefold:

1) the HW on the second computer has to match to a fairly high degree to the hardware on the first.  for example, if you image a Windows desktop PC, and put that image on a laptop, do not be surprised that it doesn't boot.  the drivers and surrounding infrastructure needed for the laptop differ from what were needed on the desktop.  even if it does boot, much Windows "safe-mode" hacking might be need to get this to finally run right (ethernet network, monitor settings, and so on).  moreover, if the hard disk on the second machine is even 1 byte smaller than the image file, you are stuck - you can't unroll the big image file onto the small disk on the target computer.

2) the image files can be huge (they contain EVERYTHING) and therefore portability is an issue.  you can not image your typical Windows computer and fit the resultant image file on a compact flash card or USB memory stick.

3) and finally, with some imaging applications, if you need just 1 or 3 or 7 files from the image, you can't quickly get just 1 or 3 or 7 files out of it.  you'll need to unpack the image fully onto another disk before you can get to individual files.  this is time consuming ––sort of like unpacking your entire clothes dresser every time you need a pair of socks.

––

IMHO, imaging is great for corporate IT folks who need to "clone" standardized company PCs for deployment to cubicle dwellers, and subsequently to fix those same PCs when the dwellers hose up Windows.  imaging is not a good solution, in most cases, for SHTF carry-your-documents-around applications.  with imaging, you'd require a large capacity storage media, confidence that the target computer will accept the image and run, and a lot of time.  if SHTF, i just need to bring my socks and some other stuff, not the entire dresser, with me.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/17/2009 5:15:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like a lot of trouble for a solution we established earlire in the post...

BTW, I got all the important stuff that was suggested backed up and secure in 3 spots now.  Thanks for the great advice.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Great thread.  Working with thumb drive data now.  Finally figured out how to disable the silly U3 stuff on sandisk 4G cruzer micro (well...kindof at least).  Going to just use portable apps.  Trying to use the KISS concept.

AR-Jedi.... Question.... What's your reason for encrypting all the "non-personal" stuff in your file structure?

II would seem you would want your "non-personal" data in the clear, so if you need it, you don't have to worry about the password stuff  (It's not likely you would need your bank into, if you just needed to look up first aid data really fast.)  Plus... think if you are in a rush, and you forgot password... then you cant get to that info.

Link Posted: 2/20/2009 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Trying to use the KISS concept.

AR-Jedi.... Question.... What's your reason for encrypting all the "non-personal" stuff in your file structure?

for me, it's KISS –– one container, all my stuff, copied to multiple media.
when i do an update, i just need to copy one container to multiple media.
i can remember my password, and if i forget my wife has it as well.

it works for me.  if you have a better way that works for you, use it.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I like to keep as much food and ammo on my USB drive as it will hold. I figure that about 4GB of ammo and 8GB of food should get me through the worst of the first few days. Then I can try to find a working computer and check it for personal pictures and info and just assume the identity of the person on the computer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#37]
you may look into a data compression utility lik "winRAR".

compress then encrypt, or visa versa. not sure which way is better.
then leave a .exe file to load it onto the host pc, unless you load it to run from the USB.  

also known as a ZIP or Tar file
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#38]
I can't find a link that I saw a while ago about setting up truecrypt that had pictures of the installation and what to do.  

Anybody know what I'm talking about?
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#39]
I should download more food onto my usb then

I just ordered a freebie if you will - if any of you does the Mycokerewards thing then they have one on there now for like 1250 or 1450 points or so. <shrug> Free is good.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Didn't you pay for the cokes though?  There's no free lunch or spare change...."they" say
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
medical/
- PDF of FM4-25.11, basic military first aid.
- PDF for proper application of a tourniquet in the field.
- various other first aid reference manuals.

shtf/
- SHTF planning documents
- PDF survival guides, desert/blizzard/shelter building/etc
- 14 part PDF survival document from WHO
> 1 - Cleaning and disinfecting wells.pdf
> 2 - Cleaning and disinfecting boreholes.pdf
> 3 - Cleaning and disinfecting water storage tanks.pdf
> 4 - Rehabilitating small-scale water distributions systems.pdf
> 5 - Emergency treatment of drinking water.pdf
> 6 - Rehabilitating water treatment works.pdf
> 7 - Solid waste management in emergencies.pdf
> 8 - Disposal of dead bodies.pdf
> 9 - Minimum water quantity.pdf
> 10 - Essential hygiene messages.pdf
> 11 - How to measure chlorine residual.pdf
> 12 - Delivering safe water.pdf
> 13 - Emergency sanitation - planning.pdf
> 14 - Emergency sanitation - technical.pdf

Good idea... Never thought about the PDFs...

Can also, throw something out there... Practice - on how to UN-encrypt that thunbdrive (can't wait for that 1TB thumbdrive)

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
compress then encrypt, or visa versa. not sure which way is better.

compress then encrypt is ALWAYS better than the other way around with respect to file size.  if you encrypt then compress, you will find very little if any compression as a result.  this is due to the fact that most all modern encryption algorithms have scrambler functions to prevent pattern analysis of the encrypted plaintext.  

(ronin)$ wget http://www.yahoo.com/

––02:19:50––  http://www.yahoo.com/
          => `index.html'
Resolving www.yahoo.com... 69.147.76.15
Connecting to www.yahoo.com|69.147.76.15|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 9,490 (9.3K) [text/html]

100%[====================================>] 9,490         ––.––K/s

02:19:51 (373.79 KB/s) - `index.html' saved [9490/9490]

(ronin)$ crypt < index.html > index.html.crypt
Enter key:

(ronin)$ ls -sl index.html index.html.crypt
 24 -rw-r––r––   1 ar-jedi      staff       9490 Mar 29 02:12 index.html
 24 -rw-r––r––   1 ar-jedi      staff       9490 Mar 29 02:20 index.html.crypt

(ronin)$ gzip -9 index.html ; gzip -l index.html.gz
        compressed        uncompressed  ratio uncompressed_name
              2103                9490  78.1% index.html

(ronin)$ gzip -9 index.html.crypt ; gzip -l index.html.crypt.gz
        compressed        uncompressed  ratio uncompressed_name
              9530                9490  -0.1% index.html.crypt

Quoted:
then leave a .exe file to load it onto the host pc, unless you load it to run from the USB.  
also known as a ZIP or Tar file

self-extracting or tar files make it extremely difficult to get at just one or a few files.  in contrast, a mounted Truecrypt container is accessed just like a normal filesystem.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/24/2009 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Question.
If I am correct, the portable applications from http://portableapps.com/apps are installed directly on your usb drive. This allows you to use those programs from your usb drive regardless if they are installed on the host computer.
But there is no such "portable" equivalent for TrueCrypt (i.e. doesn't require TrueCrypt on the host computer)? If the only computer available during SHTF is some public-use computer (which you have no administrator rights), you would be out of luck accessing your TrueCrypt encrypted data, right?
In that situation, would an encrypted USB drive like IronKey be better?
Sorry if I am missing something. Thanks techno gurus.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Question.
If I am correct, the portable applications from http://portableapps.com/apps are installed directly on your usb drive. This allows you to use those programs from your usb drive regardless if they are installed on the host computer.
But there is no such "portable" equivalent for TrueCrypt (i.e. doesn't require TrueCrypt on the host computer)? If the only computer available during SHTF is some public-use computer (which you have no administrator rights), you would be out of luck accessing your TrueCrypt encrypted data, right?
In that situation, would an encrypted USB drive like IronKey be better?
Sorry if I am missing something. Thanks techno gurus.

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=truecrypt-portable

You can put the Truecrypt app on your USB drive. (obviously you need to store it outside of the actual TC volume).
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You can put the Truecrypt app on your USB drive. (obviously you need to store it outside of the actual TC volume).

Inside of your link, it says "You need administrator privileges in order to able to run TrueCrypt in traveler mode (for reasons, see the chapter Using TrueCrypt Without Administrator Privileges)."

Using TrueCrypt Without Administrator Privileges
basically says TrueCrypt must already be installed on the computer if you don't have administrator privileges
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Right. But Admin Priv's on a Windows box isn't usually a big deal since most personal Windows machines don't even have multiple users enabled, and those that do often have Admin Priv's for everyone.

Mac OSX and Linux/Unix are another story, as they enforce Admin ("sudoers") much more strictly.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Mac OSX and Linux/Unix are another story, as they enforce Admin ("sudoers") much more strictly.

i swear Debian and Ubuntu have corrupted society.  
the term you are looking for is "root".  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/25/2009 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Right on. I was trying to keep it in Microsoft-ese for the masses.

Corrupted society, eh?
Ubuntu has Root disabled by default so little newbs like me can't hurt ourselves.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You can also put the USB drive in a tube vault from county comm if you're worried about damaging it.

Just so everyone knows, the IronKey will not fit in the Tube Vault. If you do want a encrypted copy of your files the Iron Key can export an encrypted copy to a normal Thumb Drive which will fit in the tube vault. I plan on doing this once I finish backing up my data. This way I will have my primary IronKey(on my person) and a secondary Thumb Drive(in a secure location).
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#50]
What do you have as far as paper copies in case you are unable to access the thumb drive.  To start, maps, medical info, and contact lists would be handy to have as a hard copy just in case.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top