BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Right on. I was trying to keep it in Microsoft-ese for the masses.

Corrupted society, eh? Ubuntu has Root disabled by default so little newbs like me can't hurt ourselves.

sorry for the tangent, but:
I don't use Ubuntu because it is not KISS enough ( www.archlinux.org ), but I don't believe this is true. I believe the way Ubuntu sets up the sudoers file by default gives full root access with sudo, and actually sets up the root account using this password automagically, so if you use the "su" command (switch user/ super user) and type in your "sudo" password you will have be logged in as root.
sudo = "super user" do = execute as super user
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]

here is my encrypted directory structure:

maps/
- East coast, state, and county maps in PDF format.
- above, annotated with PDF postnotes regarding "places of interest".

Where did you buy/ find .pdf version maps?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/18/2009 6:24:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Where did you buy/ find .pdf version maps? Thanks

i use MapSource (it's a program for loading my GPS) and i "print" the maps via Adobe Acrobat Writer to PDF format.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/18/2009 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where did you buy/ find .pdf version maps? Thanks

i use MapSource (it's a program for loading my GPS) and i "print" the maps via Adobe Acrobat Writer to PDF format.

ar-jedi

I see. I will look for something like that next time I buy a GPS.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to take the discussion too far afield, but wanted folks to know that there are free options for printing to a PDF. CutePDF Writer and PDFCreator are a couple of the options.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#6]
PDF 995 is another good one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#7]
No need to wait. Get Mappoint now and you can print maps to PDF.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I keep one on my key ring, but I don't keep any comprimising info on it either.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#9]
If anyone reads SWAT magazine there is an article in the current issue that covers this topic in a way. the article more covers how to keep your computer and internet use private when using foreign computers by utilizing a flash drive, but also covers security. its a good read. you can go to their site and read online for free.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top