Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 4/1/2007 3:23:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's ours, in one of our semi-permanent camping sites. I'm curious about how long it will hold up to the elements.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=548676

Somewhere in the archives are threads where I made and evaluated all the tin-can wood-burning stove designs I could find on the internet, including the one in that You Tube video. This was the all-around best of the bunch:

www.backpacking.net/makegear/falk-woodstove/index.html
Link Posted: 4/1/2007 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
What I like about Rodent's version is the use of old campaign signs.  I'm assuming these are the plasic honeycomb sheets.

Pretty cool building a shelter from free field expedient non-traditional materials.

Link Posted: 4/1/2007 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
That campaign sign yurt is pretty sweet, is it just taped together?
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been thinking of making a small one from the pink hard insulation foam from HD.

ETA Where do you buy the sign board material like those campaign posters are printed on? Or wait until after elections?
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 3:16:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, this thread rose from the dead.

Quoted:
...  I'm assuming these are the plasic honeycomb sheets....

Corrrect. I think they're called "Corruplast", short for "corrugated plastic".

Quoted:
That campaign sign yurt is pretty sweet, is it just taped together?

Yep, we used "Gorilla tape" from Home Depot. You need at least a wood centerpost and some stakes to hold it down to make it sturdy in the wind, though.

Quoted:
... Where do you buy the sign board material like those campaign posters are printed on? Or wait until after elections?

Buy?

I've already got my eye on some "New Hampshire for Hillary" signs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I really could have used this in my trips to Burning Man... Probably would have kept the heat to a bearable level.

Oh well, live and learn.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow... I remember seeing whole neighborhoods of these (and similar) things in Tijuana back in the '70's.

But hey, I can see where they do have their place in survival planning. Good idea.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#8]
camo spray paint could do wonders.
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've been thinking of making a small one from the pink hard insulation foam from HD.

ETA Where do you buy the sign board material like those campaign posters are printed on? Or wait until after elections?

why wait, theres a shitton of hillary/edwards/obama ones around here...
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 2:44:15 AM EDT
[#10]
tagola
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top