Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 11:54:14 AM EDT
anyone been out yote hunting? I'm thinking of getting into it. just wondering what people use as "bait"
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I wait til I hear them howling in the beans, then run out with the rifle
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]

I'm getting my gear ready now, sighting in guns, washing cloths, etc....

I have never baited them, just called and road hunted. See a lot road hunting but them little f@%#ers are smart, they run to the center of the section and lay down. Quick math puts that at 880 yards out, we have taken shots but unless you are buzzing their fur they aren't moving.

My sister-in-law just bought a farm house that no one has lived in for almost 2 years, they are seeing yotes during the day

Her husband doesn't hunt so I guess I know what my weekend plans will be!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
anyone been out yote hunting? I'm thinking of getting into it. just wondering what people use as "bait"

Have not been out yet but I'm chompin' at the bit to have at 'em.  Just waitng for their winter fur to get REAL nice...  Then it's bang-flop city!!  

Baiting...  Tried a some road kill deer last year with limited success.  Got two but those guys were late to the party since the carcuses were gone in one night.  I have two farmers on my "route" that have pits where they toss their dead cattle, sheep, pigs...  Those locations can be gold mines IF your timing is right.  Mostly I just try and call them in.  Mouth calls and an e-caller with a decoy to hopefully seal the deal.  Also limited success.  I'm not that good with my calling.  

As they say...  Practice makes perfect.  I plan on practicing quite a bit this winter and hope, not for perfection, but at least a good showing.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried a couple times this year.(Feb-Mar) A E-caller and decoy are my bait.

A few years ago when I bow hunted alot after work(1st Shift). Right at dusk I would hear them howling. They were everywhere. It was creepy walking back to the truck in a wooded area at night and they sounded really close.

I had a Johnny Steward Predator 1. Was not loud enough so I upgraded to a FoxPro FX3. And I got a Mojo Critter. So far nothing yet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I tried a couple times this year.(Feb-Mar) A E-caller and decoy are my bait.

A few years ago when I bow hunted alot after work(1st Shift). Right at dusk I would hear them howling. They were everywhere. It was creepy walking back to the truck in a wooded area at night and they sounded really close.

I had a Johnny Steward Predator 1. Was not loud enough so I upgraded to a FoxPro FX3. And I got a Mojo Critter. So far nothing yet.

Same set-up. 1st times out this past mar-apr. No luck yet but ready to roll once things cool down.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#6]
the reason i asked is, I was camping a few miles north of Bemidji and it sounded like there was between 10-20, (i know it might of been 3 or 1, but they seemed to be howling all around me from many miles to just a few hundred feet away.) i got up and threw a few more logs on the fire and slipped in my sleeping bag thinking....i hope they get the GF first, that should give be plenty of time to climb a tree... i'm the romantic type
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top