Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2008 7:53:53 AM EDT
with the market like it is, i am looking into buying some land for investment, and personal reasons. ive always wanted land, and not just .3 acres with a tiny house.

here is the deal. i am looking at 32-39 acres of land. it is relatively flat, and would be great for shooting. the way i would do this, would be to let anyone on the forums(and other forums, thats ok too) would be able to come and shoot on the land, after signing a waiver and basically have good, SAFE fun. i would clear a spot about 600 yards long, and build a nice backstop.

all calibers would be welcomed, including .50BMG.

i would also have an area for people who are interested in shooting sub guns. any NFA weapons that would be used on the property, i would have to see the copy of the ATF forms before i could allow use, obviously. this would NOT be a business, but a place for us shooters to have good, safe fun and not be gouged. i would not sell ANY items at all, it would be a bring your own gear type place.  

the only thing that i can think of asking for, would be a 10 dollar required "donation" in order for me to keep the property up and keep everyone shooting. all types of ammo would be welcomed(except tracers, i dont want to put a fire out) and id have some grills and stuff for people to use. the 10 bucks would serve you all day access, from when i allow shooting to start, until i ask that it stops.

now, why am i asking this you ask? because i am looking for land. i have a few spots i am looking at, and i think this one is close(er) to the metro area. its still out there, but you could make a day or weekend out of it. if there isnt enough interest, ill keep looking as i am looking for land, not just for this purpose. but i know that not a lot of places allow full auto, silencers, or .50bmg's that are open on a regular basis. this would be a weekend thing only.

feedback?
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck jaak.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#2]
It sounds like a laudable plan, but I think you might be missing the forest for the trees.

You need to consider the noise impact to surrounding property owners. You also need to consider liability regardless of a waiver ETC. What if a shooter lobs one over the berm and a neighbor is killed by the stray bullet.

In my humble opinion a tract of land less than 50 acres might make a great place for you and a few close friends to shoot on, but it will not support shooting on the scale you are considering.

I hate to come off negative, but I think I'm being realistic.

TD
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It sounds like a laudable plan, but I think you might be missing the forest for the trees.

You need to consider the noise impact to surrounding property owners. You also need to consider liability regardless of a waiver ETC. What if a shooter lobs one over the berm and a neighbor is killed by the stray bullet.

In my humble opinion the a tract of land less than 50 acres might make a great place for you and a few close friends to shoot on, but it will not support shooting on the scale you are considering.

I hate to come off negative, but I think I'm being realistic.

TD

all input is appreciated. i dont want hundreds of people there, just a few dozen per weekend. there are no neighbors near by, its all land. i know it would piss a lot of ranges off(and maybe force them to make changes for the better)

im just sick of gun range owners being so anal about shooting NFA stuff, silencers, and large calibers. guess ill just keep the fun to myself. doesnt look like anyone would use it anyways.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I would have to drive about 35-45 minutes but I would be interested.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Past Douglasville in which direction?
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess it would depend on range ammo costs

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#7]
it was so good I guess the forum wanted it up here twice.  sorry double tap.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#8]
It would be fun to do something like that, maybe camp out and grill friday night and shoot saturday.

sadly though i am in south ga and i just wouldn't be able to do it much.

goodluck though
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#9]
You're damn right I'd be interested.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I am very interested in that prospect. Creekside seems like a great range, but I do not want to drive 1.5 hours to get there. Something in metro Atlanta would be great. Douglasville is only about 20 minutes from downtown. Let me know when you need members, I am in.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep count me in too!
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#12]
+1
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Isn't Advanced Bullets in Temple or somewhere out around Hwy 113
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd use it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#15]
in
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:09:17 AM EDT
[#16]
"a little past Douglasville" (in any direction) is eaten up with real estate development. Your biggest problems will be finding land that is reasonably priced, suburban encroachment, and property taxes.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:04:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm in. Just let me know where and when. I don't like that place in Temp. The last time I was there the guy that ran the place was kinda off an Ass to me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Yea Advanced is right off 113 right before I-20 exit 19. the guy there is an ass, but its cheap, the ground is made up of spent brass, and i can draw from holster, but cant double tap... id be in, but good luck.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I want in! I usually go down to my Family Poperty in Moreland or Luthersville to shoot outside but that's a haul from Woodstock. That would almost cut my trip in half to go to your proposed place.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I would love a place nearby..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top