Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 5:39:48 PM EDT
Does anyone know the laws for carrying knives in general, and/or in public?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
§908. Prohibited offensive weapons.  

(a) Offense defined.—A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.  

c) Definitions.—As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:  

“Firearm.” Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive, or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.  

“Offensive weapons” Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:46:18 AM EDT
[#2]
i believe this website has info on carrrying knives as well as firearms.

www.packing.org
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just a point to keep in mind.  Misdemeanor convictions of the 1st and 2nd degree will make you a prohibited person in the eyes of the Feds and that means NO MORE GUNS.  

I know a lot of us like those assisted opening knives like the ones by Kershaw etc...  However they fall under the same general guidelines as automatic and gravity knives.  It would be a horrible thing to lose one's gun rights over something like that.  

Not trying to be a downer, just a realist.

John

Not to argue , but is there case law to substantiate that Kershaw knives are illegal?

I havent bought a pocket knife in a store in quite a while , but the Kershaw knives are at
every Flea Market and Gun show.

And there is no way a Kershaw blade can be opened without use of outside force.

They are Definitely NOT Automatic - Switchblades- or Gravity Knives.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#6]
It's interesting that your source of direct information on this is a PSP. member

On my last trip to my County Courthouse I emptied my pockets to pass through
the metal detector.

The Sheriffs Deputy kept my pocketknife ( which shall remain nameless)while
I did my business - (no weapons allowed inside)

When I had concluded my business , I retrieved my knife and went on my merry way.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#8]
John,

Can you post an example of a folding style knife that would not violate the law?

Thanks,
Gary

example.... would this knife be okay?

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks John.  I would have never guessed that the knife laws would have be "murkier" than the gun laws!

Gotta love our state....

Gary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top