Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 3:48:45 PM EDT
is the best  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What the hell is TX music?  its the best  And how is it different than OK music? well it's better  for example okie's got garth we got ray wylie hubbard

I hope you aren't talking about tejano.  That shit sucks.
dont get me started on the fucking mexican thing....... i'm "suposed" to be getting my membership extended for another year since it's been paid for twice ....... i'd hate to get banned for racial coments

This is a good place for you to start ray

Seriously if your ever in north texas southern ok tune into 95.3 the range they play mostly texas artist ........ americana ........  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#3]
big deal man, we got scott keton and vince gill, but then again tejas had stevie ray, but he's dead and don't count, but they still got his brother.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Texas ain't got jack for original music! Willie Nelson may live there part of the year, but he also has a home in Hawaii!
Even Los Tigres Del Norte won't claim Tejas!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
  so when am i going to hear about good OK music  

so far just whining
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]
We have Carrie Underwood (I don't know her but I know her sister), and we have Garth Brooks, and we have Reba. Oh, and Junior Brown came by my place one day last year and I got to talk to him briefly. That was interesting. Anyway, that's all I can think of for Oklahoma right now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

so far just whining

"go to town, get on a bender,
come back home, kick out a winder"

WOODY GUTHRIE, circa the Dust Bowl days - prior to "The Grapes of Wrath" with Henry Fonda.
Even Bob Wills played that music! And if you don't recognize either of those names - then you ain't no picker for sure!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Woodrow Wilson Guthrie was born on July 14, 1912, in Okemah, Oklahoma. ok you got one somewhat recognized  talent from 90+ yrs ago nice going dan

And your going to try to compare him to a legend ....... Bob Wills the king of western swing who is from where ..........

sorry fellas your fighting a loosing battle........  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
It's okay, we got Boland and Ragweed. I just lump both states together, cuz ya gotta like Billy Joe Shaver, Robert Earl Keen, Charlie Robison, Pat Green and quite a few more.

Check out 95.9 out of Fort Worth on streamaudio, they play a lot of the good sheeet.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's okay, we got Boland and Ragweed. I just lump both states together, cuz ya gotta like Billy Joe Shaver, Robert Earl Keen, Charlie Robison, Pat Green and quite a few more.

Check out 95.9 out of Fort Worth on streamaudio, they play a lot of the good sheeet.

You should have let them twist in the wind a little longer

I'm glad to know someone on this board has good taste in music besides me
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:03:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

so far just whining

what genre of hickory nut music do you want to hear?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Toby Keith, Vince Gill, Garth, Reba, and that dude from Bethel Acres.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#14]
HHHHmmmmmmmm, Just off the top of the old noggin'.

Mel McDainel

Joe Diffie

Wade Hayes

and for Dan, if ya wanna go back alittle........how about Jude-N-Jody the singers and the furniture slaesmen.

***Ronnie Dunn, Tulsa area, but I don't think he was born an Okie??
Who could forget the ...NOT COUNTRY...Sam Kinison(Tulsa) SCREAMING his lungs out.

Dave
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I think I forgot one.  I know Roger Miller was born in Texas but grew up in Erik/Sayer.

How could I forget...............................Gene Autry................................................................................

The CowboyOkie turned MULTI-MILLIONAIRE!!!!!

Dave
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I think I forgot one.  I know Roger Miller was born in Texas but grew up in Erik/Sayer.

How could I forget...............................Gene Autry................................................................................

The CowboyOkie turned MULTI-MILLIONAIRE!!!!!

Dave

i said good music ........ not rich musicians..... garth qualifies as the later also
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
........how about Jude-N-Jody the singers and the furniture slaesmen.

Dave

Oh, yeah! Mom was raised on Bob Wills and Woody Guthrie. Her great grandfather was from Ohio, was an 89'er, punched cattle up from Tejas after the Civil War. She could sing the cowboy ditties for hours on end from listening to him.
Anyway, I was raised by a gal that could sing 15 million different  country songs. I mean REAL country.
Buck Owens, Jude & Jody, were some or her favorites. Frankly, I hated 'em back then.
After a trip to Austin to visit a friend, somewhere around 1975 or so, I got into country and western in small way. We saw Willie Nelson and Michael Martin Murphy at the Armadillo World Headquarters for around $2 or so. Sitting on the floor, drinking and smoking! When they passed me the joint, I passed it on! All of a sudden I had several people looking at me like something was seriously wrong. "Are you a narc?" No, I replied, I just get mean and like to fight when I get ripped! They  all nodded OK and everything was all right!
And I knew "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" when I was 10 or 11. Mom sang it and several others. That was 10 years or more before Willie recorded it in the mid 70s.
I remember eating breakfast around Conway Twitty at Kips on North May in the late 60s and early 70s too. He was a decent guy, always spoke to you if you said hello.
But the musician/singer I really miss is Marty Robbins. His old cowboy ballads still tear me up!
Any body like Bob Dylan?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 for passin' the doobie anyway....
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Sitting on the floor, drinking and smoking! When they passed me the joint, I passed it on! All of a sudden I had several people looking at me like something was seriously wrong.

So you had more in common with Bill than you relized at the time

Any body like Bob Dylan?

Dylans a great song writer, kinda like K. Kristofferson only better, but neither one can sing for shit.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Hmmmmmm......

Sorry, Texas, but you have a lot to make up for after spawning the Dixie Chicks.
You have unleashed the heifers of hell upon mankind and must repent!

Thanks Texas!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Dylans a great song writer, kinda like K. Kristofferson only better, but neither one can sing for shit.

Yep, I'll agree with that. The only thing I have in common with the "worthless unnamed" is that we both like women. But I'm faithful, and he's not!

Joe_JBguns, ACman is a BIG fan of the Dixie Chicks! When he drives to the Texas Bigfoot Research Organization meetings, that's all he listens to on the way!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:13:25 AM EDT
[#22]
you boys should be ashamed of yourself ........ only one Okie knew what good music was ...

I'll be gone till sunday so you guys try to find out what good music is while I'm gone.....
I'm going to point you in the right direction again.....

David allan Coe ........ he's originally from Ohio...... but that's some damn fine music..... and been doing it a long time

www.officialdavidallancoe.com/gateway.htm

you girl's take it easy and have a good easter............. I'LL be back ....
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:55:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
you boys should be ashamed of yourself ........ only one Okie knew what good music was ...

] ....

Up against the wall, you red necked mother!
Or was that Jerry Jeff Walker?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

David allan Coe   ....

way back when there wasn't a lot of blacks in norman bout 86' 88' or there abouts, (well least not as many as there is now), there was a group of about same size as the group of hickory nuts I ran around with, but they'd come around playing rap and shit flashing their gang sign bullshit, and this RN that ran with us would jam in the DAC tape he had and blast it through his 500watt kenwood system,

funny thing though, it never went beyond some hard looks from either side, no words nothing, kids do that now days and there'd be a riot or something, since all the schools went PC with this zero tollerance bs, I know more bigoted blacks than whites these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top