Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2003 4:34:50 PM EDT
I just returned from a dinner for one of my brothers sons birthday and the discussion about face to face sales in NY came with specific regard to the age of eligibility.  I thought that I read something in my C&R books about the sale of rifles to minors under the age of nineteen was prohibited but everyone else was convinced that the age of 18 made someone "not a minor" as far as rifle purchases was concerned whether it's a FTF(face to face) or purchased from a dealer.  I do have a gun that I am going to sell to one of my nephews when they are of legal age but I want to make sure everything is perfectly legal and don't want to jeopardize my C&R license.  Anyone know the correct information about selling a rifle FTF?
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It's 18 in NYS for the transfer of a long gun for either a private or dealer transfer unless further restricted by local law.

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Um , you don't know any 18 year olds that
have a shotgun or a .22 ?
You a Big City feller?

Seriously , I took a look at ATF online,
and I only see 18 as the legal age for
longguns.

NY says 18 is legal for longguns too , so,
as long as the "no prohibited person" part
is adhered to its just a private sale
(course you keep a C&R book )
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in American Outdoor Sports a week ago  when a few kids came in and one asked to buy a shotgun.  The salesman said that he could not buy a shotgun with pistol grip unless he was 21.  

Bill H.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was in American Outdoor Sports a week ago  when a few kids came in and one asked to buy a shotgun.  The salesman said that he could not buy a shotgun with pistol grip unless he was 21.  

Bill H.  

Then the salesman was a moron.. :)
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]
i picked up an M1A on my 18th birthday from a dealer if that means anything
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the responses and yes I too have verified that it is indeed 18 for long guns FTF.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was in American Outdoor Sports a week ago when a few kids came in and one asked to buy a shotgun. The salesman said that he could not buy a shotgun with pistol grip unless he was 21.

Bill H.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It may have been a store policy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I was in American Outdoor Sports a week ago when a few kids came in and one asked to buy a shotgun. The salesman said that he could not buy a shotgun with pistol grip unless he was 21.

Bill H.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It may have been a store policy.

ive been to this shop before and from my experience I will have to agree that the salesman is a moron
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top