Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 7:48:01 PM EDT
i've heard mixed answers about this, and i can't seem to find a straight answer at packing.org

i'm 20, and living by myself.  is there any way for me to legally posess a pistol?  i've been itchin to get into pistols but i can't find a legal way for me to have one.  thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is one can be given to you as a gift by a family member.  I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Gift
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
really?  everything i've read said in NC you have to have a pistol permit purchase for EVERY pistol transaction.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Blackpowder handguns and antiques are exempted from Federal and NC handgun laws.

Get into blackpowder.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
really?  everything i've read said in NC you have to have a pistol permit purchase for EVERY pistol transaction.

Nope. Some handguns classified as 'antiques' are exempted. See above.

Let me find the statute
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#6]
§ 14‑409.11.  "Antique firearm" defined.

The term "antique firearm" means any firearm manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar early type of ignition system) or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898; and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade. (1969, c. 101, s. 2.)

You do not need a pistol purchase permit for a handgun defined above.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#7]
welllll, thanks guys but i don't really want a flintlock pistol.  haha.  i was thinking more along the lines of a 1911.  but i guess there's no way to do that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out private sales then.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
welllll, thanks guys but i don't really want a flintlock pistol.  haha.  i was thinking more along the lines of a 1911.  but i guess there's no way to do that.

uh, gift.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#10]
well, someone said the only way i can avoid the pistol permit for EVERY pistol is to buy a blackpowder, so i figured i couldn't get one as a gift.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Why can't you get a pistol purchase permit from your sheriff?

Your over 18.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Your over 18.

everything i've read says you have to be 21 to get a permit
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Your over 18.

You have to be 21
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#14]
ok, so just to make sure it's perfectly clear...

if i go home this weekend, and my dad GIVES me a 1911, it's perfectly legal for me to bring back to my own place and take to the range, etc...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your over 18.

You have to be 21

Says who?

I looked at the statute and it does not mention an age

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#16]
VI. AGE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PURCHASE AND POSSESSION OF
WEAPONS
North Carolina law does not currently address specific age requirements for the
purchase of weapons. Rather, they look to the federal standards for such restrictions.
Under federal law, at 18 U.S.C. § 1922(b)(1), federally licensed gun dealers are prohibited
from selling handguns to persons under the age of 21. Further, all other purchasers of
shotguns and rifles are required to be at least 18 years old.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Right so dealers are prohibited but not private persons if NC uses Federal guidelines.

Am I reading that wrong?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#18]
The way the statute reads to me, a private sale can occur to an 18 year old if they have obtained a purchase permit. I may be wrong on that though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The way the statute reads to me, a private sale can occur to an 18 year old if they have obtained a purchase permit. I may be wrong on that though.

that's how it reads to me too, but isn't that kind of pointless since you have to be 21 to get the permit?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
ok, so just to make sure it's perfectly clear...

if i go home this weekend, and my dad GIVES me a 1911, it's perfectly legal for me to bring back to my own place and take to the range, etc...

Further confussion... it could depend on the range. Some firing ranges will not allow anyone under the age of 21 to use a handgun on the range. I am unclear as to whether or not this is law or range policy.

Best bet... call the Sheriff's department and ask them about the laws.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#21]
i shoot at Uwharrie, so i don't think it'd matter too much.  i'm gonna call the SD tomorrow and ask to clear things up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Kudos to NC Patrol- - -   In NC, you must be 21 to obtain a pistol permit which you must posses to purchase a handgun.  On private sales between "two dudes", you still must have a pistol permit to legally complete the sale.  Anyone over 18 but under 21 may posses a handgun, but only as acquired by gift, not through purchase.  You must also be 21 to obtain your NC CCH permit.  If you are under 21, you can take the NC CCH course from a certified instructor whom will require you to shoot for qualification/score, but you cannot apply to your local Sheriff for the CCH permit until you are 21.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Kudos to NC Patrol- - -   In NC, you must be 21 to obtain a pistol permit which you must posses to purchase a handgun.  On private sales between "two dudes", you still must have a pistol permit to legally complete the sale.  Anyone over 18 but under 21 may posses a handgun, but only as acquired by gift, not through purchase.  You must also be 21 to obtain your NC CCH permit.  If you are under 21, you can take the NC CCH course from a certified instructor whom will require you to shoot for qualification/score, but you cannot apply to your local Sheriff for the CCH permit until you are 21.

thanks! that's what i needed to know!  looks like my dad can give me one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm willing to put $$ on my post, but to CYA, do call your local Sheriff.  I by no means am a lawyer.   Just keep in mind that LE personell have a lot on thier plates at any given time, so some LE persons aren't completely up to speed on firearms laws.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#25]
thanks for all your help guys!  next time you see me at Uwharrie i'll have my new pistol  if the SD gives me the go ahead of course
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Solution.

Rem 870 12ga 3"

Excellent for defense, hunting, range, skeet, etc.

Inexpensive.

Can go as traditional or tactical as you want.

Perfectly legal for you to buy, sell, posess, and buy ammo for.

-Hershey
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Solution.

Rem 870 12ga 3"

Excellent for defense, hunting, range, skeet, etc.

Inexpensive.

Can go as traditional or tactical as you want.

Perfectly legal for you to buy, sell, posess, and buy ammo for.

-Hershey

i have 2 shotguns, 2 AR15s, 3 .22s.  the whole purpose is to get a pistol.  but anyway, i called the sheriff today and he said it was A.O.K. for me to have a pistol, i just have to transport it in the trunk, and can't take it off my property.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Congrats!!  Enjoy your new toy!  Decided on what you'll get?  I love my 1911.  Anyway, have fun picking one out!

-Hershey
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Congrats!!  Enjoy your new toy!  Decided on what you'll get?  I love my 1911.  Anyway, have fun picking one out!

-Hershey

yea, i just bought an HK USP 9mm.  i wanted to get a 1911, but i decided the .45 round is just too much money for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top