Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 10:32:07 AM EDT
I bought one awhile back and ran 300 through it just playing around. I had always heard about how they are notorious for jamming??? So,I thought I would ask and see what the consensus is?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
They may suck if you're running around in a sand storm or laying in the dirt/mud firing 700 rounds a minute at someone who's shooting back at you, but under normal people conditions I've never had any problems.

Rumors.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
My buddy bought one for his bushy modular carbine. Looks intense. Shoots intense. I got to dump one and it was great. Ya kinda get board shootin in the middle of the mag. I have seen a total of four full betas go down range. Not one hiccup. My take on the matter> Only people that have not seen them in action nock the quality of this fully functional, really high cap mag. If you have the means, I highly recomend picking one up.
Josh-born in Cleveland
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
mine has been flawless I would buy another if I felt the need.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The ones I've seen were much better than some other big drums(like the crappy 90 rounder). But FYI it's a felony to insert any magizine that can hold over 30 rounds into a gun in OHIO. In Ohio law by inserting the magazine you are constructing a machine gun. Few LEO's know of this but it only takes one to ruin your life.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The ones I've seen were much better than some other big drums(like the crappy 90 rounder). But FYI it's a felony to insert any magizine that can hold over 30 rounds into a gun in OHIO. In Ohio law by inserting the magazine you are constructing a machine gun. Few LEO's know of this but it only takes one to ruin your life.

I've been meaning to bring this up, but according to the Ottawa County Sherriff's office, the ATF says Ohio no longer has this restriction.

Anyone else heard this or is the local ATF full of it?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been meaning to bring this up, but according to the Ottawa County Sherriff's office, the ATF says Ohio no longer has this restriction.

§ 2923.11. Definitions.
As used in sections 2923.11 to 2923.24 of the Revised Code:  

(E) "Automatic firearm" means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. "Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

It's still in there. And, FWIW, most cops know it. They may not be able to quote it chapter and verse but they can easily find it in the gigantic book they throw at you should they decide to charge you with it.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:53:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Kinda funny the last time I bought steel 40 rounders, a cop sold them to me. In view of some other leo's whom at least three of them mentioned they wished they had the extra funds to buy them. (made me wonder what else they have that's not for departmental/training use)I then loaded them to the top and proceded to shit out of the targets on the range that day.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Kinda funny the last time I bought steel 40 rounders, a cop sold them to me. In view of some other leo's whom at least three of them mentioned they wished they had the extra funds to buy them. (made me wonder what else they have that's not for departmental/training use)I then loaded them to the top and proceded to shit out of the targets on the range that day.

They are totally legal to buy and own. The instant they are inserted into a gun it's a felony. Go figure.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's why they didn't say anything, what are going to say to a guy that is shitting out of the targets?  
Nothing to see here, move along.  Don't make eye contact, yes, nod politely at the shitting man.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:06:01 AM EDT
[#11]
While we are on the subject here, what would they consider a belt fed gun? I've seen but never been lucky enough to use one while they are blasting away a couple ammo boxes at a time in semi-auto only
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:50:44 AM EDT
[#12]
A semi-auto belt-fed with a belt of 31 rounds is a machinegun in Ohio.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:25:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe it's just me but I'd rather buy 30 USGI 30 round mags then spend $300 for a Beta-Mag...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#15]
The other thing to consider with the AR15/M16, is that a 100 round mag dump might just cook the gas tube...

I have one in 9mm and .223, but both are for HKs, and yes... they are for attaching to a legally owned machinegun.  The first 9mm one had a failure, and needed to be sent back to Beta Co.  The second one has been flawless.

Another thing to note, is that the 31 round limit is for a gun capable of firing MORE that 31 rounds before reloading.   That means 1 mag capable of holding 31 rounds is a no-no if you can have one in the chamber, giving you 32 rounds before a reload.  Also noteworthy, is that this clause does not apply to rimfire .22...

What a crock of shit...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Maybe it's just me but I'd rather buy 30 USGI 30 round mags then spend $300 for a Beta-Mag...

Especially considering that you can't legally use it on a non NFA gun in Ohio.

You can legally use it, you just cant load more than 30 rounds in it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually as I understand it, it's illegal even if there are no rounds in the magazine. Simply inserting the larger than 30 round mag into the gun is the felony.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually as I understand it, it's illegal even if there are no rounds in the magazine. Simply inserting the larger than 30 round mag into the gun is the felony.

I stand corrected, I all I own are USGI 30's anyway.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

§ 2923.11. Definitions.

(E) "Automatic firearm" means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. "Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

It's still in there. And, FWIW, most cops know it. They may not be able to quote it chapter and verse but they can easily find it in the gigantic book they throw at you should they decide to charge you with it.

Not in this area, apparently. (not that I'm REALLY suprised that they're full of it, just wanted to know if anyone else had been told this)

A LOT Of them don't seem to know what the legal length of an AR barrel is, either.

I dude I know got his guns taken in a bullshit domestic charge, and when they gave his weapons back, they didn't even bat an eye at the 11" barrel. One of them even commented that they were legal.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Where is it a crime in the ORC to have one?  All I see is a definition, not a prohibition.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the 31+ law sucks, but because of that law, I will be drilling and pop riveting my new Colt 32rnd 9mm mags, so they can only hold 30
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#22]
We're glad you're a productive citizen now Geezah.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Where is it a crime in the ORC to have one?  All I see is a definition, not a prohibition.

The term "automatic firearm" is also included in the definition of "dangerous ordnance". The prohibitions against an automatic firearm fall under the dangerous ordnance prohibitions. Check out the 2923 section of the ORC including definitions in 2923.11

§ 2923.11. Definitions.

(K) "Dangerous ordnance" means any of the following, except as provided in division (L) of this section:  
 (1) Any automatic or sawed-off firearm, zip-gun, or ballistic knife;  

§ 2923.17. Unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance; illegally manufacturing or processing explosives.
(A)  No person shall knowingly acquire, have, carry, or use any dangerous ordnance.

(D)  Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, a felony of the fifth degree.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#24]
so whats lawful possession of dangerous ord?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
so whats lawful possession of dangerous ord?

Licensed mining, construction and demolition operations, police and military, federal tax stamp, etc. Look up the text in the ORC.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#26]

§ 2923.11. Definitions.

Let me get this straight:

An Automatic firearm is "any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading,"

Then any such automatic firearms is dangerious ordinance and thus illegal to even own.

Um the definition says the "firearm" which really is most semi automatic weapons with a detachible mag.  

If this back door law was to be enforeced anyone with a Ruger P89 to a Ar15 is an instant fellon because none where designed nor adapted to limit the interchangible magazine to 31rds?    It would be in effect a ban on any firearm with a detachible magazine?

Who will determine if a firearm design that does not restrict capacity indeed is or is not designed for greater than 31 capacity?

It says nothing about a magzaines design.  

Is inserting a magazine, adapting a firearm?    If it is then inserting such a magazine would be a no no?

I think this is Kalifornia waiting to happen!!    I love when governments make obscure laws with which to make un suspecting citizens criminals.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

§ 2923.11. Definitions.

Let me get this straight:

An Automatic firearm is "any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading,"

Then any such automatic firearms is dangerious ordinance and thus illegal to even own.

Um the definition says the "firearm" which really is most semi automatic weapons with a detachible mag.  

If this back door law was to be enforeced anyone with a Ruger P89 to a Ar15 is an instant fellon because none where designed nor adapted to limit the interchangible magazine to 31rds?    It would be in effect a ban on any firearm with a detachible magazine?

Who will determine if a firearm design that does not restrict capacity indeed is or is not designed for greater than 31 capacity?

It says nothing about a magzaines design.  

Is inserting a magazine, adapting a firearm?    If it is then inserting such a magazine would be a no no?

I think this is Kalifornia waiting to happen!!    I love when governments make obscure laws with which to make un suspecting citizens criminals.

Look everybody, its somebody trying to make sense of gun laws.   Its like watching a monkey fuck a football...
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top