Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 7:01:38 PM EDT
greetings all ... i found out today i'm being transferred to NOLA and am wondering if anyone can give us any recommendations on a place to rent. my wife and i have 2 dogs, but other than a place that allows pets, we're pretty open to anything reasonable.

any help would be greatly appreciated! oh yeah, we'll be leaving the great state of NC around the end of march, and i think i'm to report in around the middle of april.

-E5T
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
greetings all ... i found out today i'm being transferred to NOLA and am wondering if anyone can give us any recommendations on a place to rent. my wife and i have 2 dogs, but other than a place that allows pets, we're pretty open to anything reasonable.

I'm so sorry.  Please except my condolences.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:41:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you know where exactly you will be transferred to?  Is it definitly in the city or is it a suburb?  There are lots of undamaged  houses for sale if you changed your mind about renting.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

yeah, exactly what i thought

Quoted:
Do you know where exactly you will be transferred to?  Is it definitly in the city or is it a suburb?  There are lots of undamaged  houses for sale if you changed your mind about renting.

oh yeah, it's the city ... 4400 Dauphine St.

i'm thinking we're going to have to be up for quite a drive ...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
If you would like I can get my wife to start looking for a place for you.  She's been really busy and has gotten pretty damn good at finding homes for people that lost their homes to Katrina.

Let me know;

Redbaron
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live out here in the Luling area. It's a small town right outside of New Orleans and we are actually higher ground than any other place in the Orleans metro area.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct on that one.  It is going to take you an hour to get to work from just about any surrounding city.  The other option is to live in NOLA, then it will take you 45 minutes.  See my point?

My advise is to look into Slidell, Luling and Laplace for a start.  If you are going to rent and not buy, I would suggest looking on websites like Remax and CJ Brown Real Estate for rental properties.  It really just depends on how far of a drive is "Too far" for you.  

I am in Baton Rouge and I am so tired of living in the city I can't stand it. We are moving out to Maurepas as soon as our house is built (hopefully this year).  I will have a solid 30 minute drive to work, but my wife will have an hour to 1.25 hour drive to her office (Downtown BR).  

Brian
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Rather than live in NOLA, I would refuse the transfer or find a new employer. I lived there two years. Robbed twice and a third try was made and I lived in Metarie. Cousin walked out of Antoines and was hit over the head with a bottle and robbed. Friend's brother was killed and robbed on St. Charles.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Rather than live in NOLA, I would refuse the transfer or find a new employer. I lived there two years. Robbed twice and a third try was made and I lived in Metarie. Cousin walked out of Antoines and was hit over the head with a bottle and robbed. Friend's brother was killed and robbed on St. Charles.

Sometimes I wish I could, but the Marine Corps has been good to me here and there, so if they tell me to go to NOLA, I reckon I should ablige.

Seriously though, there's no way I can refuse the orders, so I'll have to make the best of the situation. I'm waiting to hear from the gunny down there who I'll be working for on the base housing situation. His belief is base housing is going to be our best/only bet.

So, are there places I should avoid? I've heard mixed feelings about Metarie, and I've heard a decent bit about River Ridge (or something like that).

-E5T
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
River Ridge is awesome, but the housing is not cheap.  Next to it is Harahan.  The police there are like Nazi's.  The will arrest or ticket you at the drop of a hat.  There is zero crime in Harahan.  Why the mixed feelings about Metairie?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
River Ridge is awesome, but the housing is not cheap.  Next to it is Harahan.  The police there are like Nazi's.  The will arrest or ticket you at the drop of a hat.  There is zero crime in Harahan.  Why the mixed feelings about Metairie?

I've heard mixed things about Metarie ... alaman alluded to crime there, but I've also heard it's nice.

I pulled up the web site for River Ridge, and they do look nice ... unfortunately, our dogs weigh more than a combined 40 lbs (one of their requirements for pets
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard mixed things about Metarie ... alaman alluded to crime there, but I've also heard it's nice.

I pulled up the web site for River Ridge, and they do look nice ... unfortunately, our dogs weigh more than a combined 40 lbs (one of their requirements for pets

Here in Luling, you are 10 minutes from the city and out in the country. Another good thing is that you're on the same side of the river as Belle Chase  and no dog restrictions.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here in Luling, you are 10 minutes from the city and out in the country. Another good thing is that you're on the same side of the river as Belle Chase  and no dog restrictions.

now THAT'S what i want to hear ;) we need to find a place where big dogs aren't "discriminated" against ... we have a german shepherd and an american bulldog, each weighs about 65lbs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top