Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2018 12:30:00 PM EDT
I filed my taxes and they sent a letter say i ow nearly 7K they are claiming "they need to verify" verify what? ugh this is such a pain in the ass, it seem every year i get a return the last few year they do this crap and it getting VERY old having to jump though hoops
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Everything tax related here is so much more complicated than everywhere else I have ever lived. It was so difficult registering my car when I moved here I seriously considered leaving it registered in North Carolina and paying the much lower taxes on it there.  The problem primarily stemmed from having to prove I didn’t owe back property taxes despite the fact that I had never before had a Missouri license, vehicle registration, or any other property in Missouri.

Then, in 2014 the state tried to bill me for past due income taxes in the amount of several thousand dollars for tax years 2011 and 2012. I didn’t live in Missouri either of those years and had in fact never lived in Missouri prior to 2013. I had to jump through more hoops to prove I had not lived in Missouri during that timeframe.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I was supposed to get a meager 57 dollars back....

Mine were filed weeks before the deadline and I've not seen anything as of yet...

Honestly, I don't care how much I get back as long as a don't owe...

I mean the more I get back the better, but I dont want to owe...
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Last year I didn't get my state refund until October... My federal within a month but State took forever... you can go to the state website and check your status once every 24 hours.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Still do not have all of my 2005 state tax return, not sure what the hold up was/is...I would get maybe $25 at a time. Still owed about $200.

Steve
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was supposed to get a meager 57 dollars back....

Mine were filed weeks before the deadline and I've not seen anything as of yet...

Honestly, I don't care how much I get back as long as a don't owe...

I mean the more I get back the better, but I dont want to owe...
View Quote
I like owing... I hate letting them use my money interest free.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I like owing... I hate letting them use my money interest free.
View Quote
I'd just like to break even or as close too it...

When I was working for Charter, I would get about 700 back from Feds and 300 from State...  So I wasn't giving them much to work with...  I looked at it like Oh Wow, I actually get a few of my dollars back...  Now if I was getting a few grand, I'd have to adjust it some...
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Any way to Check on the status of a Mo State income tax Ripoff refunds???

I think if we are owed money back and they do not have it back to us by a certain time, it should be credited interest like they'd do us if we were late...  I mean fair is fair...

I wonder if I don't get my meager 57.00 back, can I claim that somehow next year as a credit...  
If it reduces my next years liability I might not be mad...
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys are mad about MO taxes... I just came from Illinois... This is like a tax holiday!
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 1:20:29 AM EDT
[#9]
That's one of the reasons I love my wife..

Finance and Business management majors for the primary job and works taxes in season. We always try to owe a bit to state and get a return from federal... it's safer that way.

The fed can always print more money to hand out, the state won't....
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The information reported on your return, such as income, deductions, and payments is being verified for accuracy. This validation process generally requires six weeks from the date your return was received.

The Department refreshes the data on this application daily, usually overnight. However, during heavy processing periods, the status of your return may not change from day to day.

Mine is being "Verified" for accuracy...
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:19:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never had an issue with MO taxes. I either owe, or I get my money back within a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I do Quarterlies, I TRY to break even but I don't know what my annual expenses are going to be until I file... I don't want to mess with Owing but I don't want to do TOO much paying either... I used to switch to exempt at some point in July for my personal taxes because I was pretty well paid at that point...
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#13]
The woman of the house does quarterly payments.  The tax guy's computer dropped some info and we were told she owed $6,000.  That was an interesting day.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The woman of the house does quarterly payments.  The tax guy's computer dropped some info and we were told she owed $6,000.  That was an interesting day.
View Quote
I wish there was no withholding.

I wish everyone had to pay quarterly.

It would lead to a revolt.

Tea party style.

I pay quarterly.  And have withholding.  Also, file taxes for others.

Our founding fathers would be kicking us in our asses if they saw where we are now.

They never envisioned an income tax.  If they had there would be another added to the bill of rights.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I wish there was no withholding.

I wish everyone had to pay quarterly.

It would lead to a revolt.

Tea party style.

I pay quarterly.  And have withholding.  Also, file taxes for others.

Our founding fathers would be kicking us in our asses if they saw where we are now.

They never envisioned an income tax.  If they had there would be another added to the bill of rights.
View Quote
I agree.  Everyone has to buy stuff, even pimps and drug dealers.

Should be NO income tax, and everyone pays sales tax.

ETA... Furthering that thought, there should be NO monetary figures tied to any state or federal budget.  The entire budget should be line item by line item percentages of revenue taken in.  State/Fed gets more income, they have more in the pot for that budget line item.  Take in less, then less to spend.  That would end deficits.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I agree.  Everyone has to buy stuff, even pimps and drug dealers.

Should be NO income tax, and everyone pays sales tax.

ETA... Furthering that thought, there should be NO monetary figures tied to any state or federal budget.  The entire budget should be line item by line item percentages of revenue taken in.  State/Fed gets more income, they have more in the pot for that budget line item.  Take in less, then less to spend.  That would end deficits.
View Quote
You say that as if they care how much of your money they spend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top