Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 7:11:40 AM EDT
 The president's proclamation reads: "As a mark of respect for the victims of the Indian Ocean earthquake and the resulting tsunamis, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff from Monday, Jan. 3, 2005, until sunset, Friday, Jan. 7, 2005.
i really do not understand this aren't they some of the same countries that "hate Americans" this is really BS! i have compassion but they THEY WERE NOT VETERENS ! AND I THINK IT CHEAPENS THE MEANING
MY FLAG IS ALL THE WAY UP  
what do you think ? or am i just not getting it ?

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#1]
or am i just not getting it ? <<<<<<<<<<<<

Chris
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#4]
funny how people only have respect for the indonesians after they're dead not while they're alive
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry guys, I'm with Dave on this one......a large portion of those countries affected would just as likely celebrate in the streets were it the United States that got hammered.......I agree with providing aid but I'll be damned if I believe our flag should be flown at half mast in this case.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
So we'll take the high road.

If you want to complain about bush cheapening the meaning of anything, complain about george Tenet getting the presidential medal of freedom.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Where is the black and white pic of the 50S guy rubbing his forehead?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:09:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:43:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, were not doing as much as the chinese.  They're offering to send 150,000 replacement people.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:44:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I didn't say it wasn't a tragedy Tony, I said I don't believe we should be flying our flag at half-mast because of it......aid is fine, sympathy is fine, lowering a nation symbol isn't.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:46:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Tough call
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#13]
News anchor stated that the American dead because of the tsunami may surpass the toll of 9/11.  Can't hurt to drop the flag.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#14]
The President said drop the flag.  I don't know what rules you follow, but my understanding is if the Commander in Chief says drop the flag, you drop the flag.  Its not optional and anything other than following the command is equivelant to burning it in protest, not having it lit up at night, or letting it touch the ground.

Don't bother flying it if you're going to make up your own rules.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The President said drop the flag.  I don't know what rules you follow, but my understanding is if the Commander in Chief says drop the flag, you drop the flag.  Its not optional and anything other than following the command is equivelant to burning it in protest, not having it lit up at night, or letting it touch the ground.

Don't bother flying it if you're going to make up your own rules.

I'm relatively certain that the CICs rules only apply to government facilities.....a privately owned flag must meet certain requirements but flying it at half staff because the government is doing so isn't one of them.....as far as I am aware of at least.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I can agree with some of whats being discussed.  Just some of my thoughts below......

Send aid to the families here in the US who lost family over there.(funerl arraingments)
If they moved there to live- they are no longer US citizens......
When the 'war on terror' began, where did they stand? With or against. That should determine wether they get our help or not.

Something a little similar....Remember when the Phillipines wanted all US occupation off their island. We were ruining threir country & wanted nothing to do with us. Shortly there after they had a volcano go active. Seemed we didn't have enough troops or support there to help out fast enough. Alas, they needed our blood, sweat & money.

Don't curse, threaten, slander & tell me to be gone. Then when you fall, put your hand out & ask me to help you up...........but heh, thats just me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top