Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 6:47:19 PM EDT
i was thinking about sticking a  leupold 3x9 on my M4 and i was wondering if i would be able to get any accuracy out of it. im not talking 3 inches at 600 yards like a bolty or anything but maybe enough to kill a coyote at about 500 yards.....thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont see why not.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I did that with my 20", works great.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:00:44 AM EDT
[#3]
ya well mines a 16 incher with normal barrle and not free floated. plan on trying it out tomorrow for shits and giggles see what kinda groups i can get.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:15:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought yours was a 14.5" M4-contour with a permanently attached muzzle device.

Your Hakko Tacpoint is freaking sweet, however. You should stick with that, man.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:21:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i was thinking about sticking a  leupold 3x9 on my M4 and i was wondering if i would be able to get any accuracy out of it. im not talking 3 inches at 600 yards like a bolty or anything but maybe enough to kill a coyote at about 500 yards.....thanks guys

If you already own it i don't see why not. If you're talking about going out specifically to buy a Leupy 3x9 for your M4, i probably wouldn't do that ;)
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#6]
a Leupy on a M4? what say'eth young man,,,,, .223 @500 yds. is'nt worth Dung for a kill

just opinion
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#7]
That should work just fine. I have used optics on all kinds of AR configurations, including the old style 4x on my 11.5"/5.5" Commando, and you're probably not gonna get sub MOA clover leafs, but that doesn't mean it won't  be effective. I assume you plan to use it for Varmints, so effective kill range won't be much of an  issue. It will help you pick out small critters hiding in the brush. So if you just have one laying around, give it a shot, see if you like it.  It'll be way less tactical than a dot sight, so you'll have to turn in your Ranch-Ninja badge.

ETA: I obviously can't finish reading a sentance before I start posting. If you have a lot of 500 yard shots, it'll probably be more a matter of your rifle being underpowered at that range (Like HIWATHL said).  If that is your "maximum engagement range", then it is up to your judgement to make the shot you are confident with.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#8]
ya well i just got done setting it up. i put the eScope on a ARMS mount so i can take it on and off and put my red dot back on, also orderd some bipods for it. im gonna go test it out here in a little bit and see what it will do. 90% of everything ill be shooting will be little critters like rabbits and other little fur bags, the other will be coyotes so id think at 500 yards it would still  end them. ok well ill give a range report when im done thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#9]
ya well i shot from 100 out to about 450 and it  shot good i thought. im kinda use to bolt actions when it comes to accuracy but this will do the job. i was shooting off the ground using a backpack for a rest so im sure i could tighten the groups up alot when i get my bipods. at 450 yards i was shooting a paper plate with every shot so that means a dead yote if i see one. also took the 17 out to.

the shooting sticks

AR15 at 125

the 17 at 125

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a couple

My Bull Barrel and Bushy Dissipator,,,,500 yd. shots not desired my Favorite caliber being .308 for a 'Smack Down',,,,,,well,,, thats what Dreams are made of

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#11]
ya im saving some money up to get a new varmit 700 in 308, so tell then ill stick to the 223 and the deer rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top