Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 8:30:13 AM EDT
i have a job interview there on 9/28.  if i get it, how much should i expect to pay for rent around there?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys.  all i know is i'll want a 1br and i have a dog.  i'm not making any plans yet, i'll find out next week if i get the job or not.  beerjager invited me for sleepovers, but i think i'll pass on that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Hopkins might be tight...there are lots of new apartments that just went up over there by HWY 169.
They are starting at $975 and go up from there...most are around $1100. (but, those were all NICE apartments)

I dwell in a house...so I can't comment. Me and the Mrs. moved out of our last apartment 6 years ago and have not looked back.

As iNuh said, finding one that allows dogs will be a problem...good luck.

-Warlock
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
my dog isn't too big.  she's a 50lb blk lab.  1k/mo is too rich for my blood.  damn!  if all else fails i'll sweet talk my mom into looking after her.

i'm hoping to not go over $600-650/mo if possible.  cheaper would always be better of course.  i gotta have money left over for food and gun stuff you know.  

inuh, i had bj's number but i think he got a cell phone...you could always log on to FA.com and PM him.  he calls me a couple times a week...at like 4-5am so be prepared.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#8]
In Coon Rapids, the place I had 2 years ago was $775/mo and it was decent. My sis was paying $600/mo for a not as nice place.

I can only imagine Hopkins will be more.  

Look up Apartment Search, they have offices around the metro, you just tell them what you're looking for and they can pull up a list  with rates and everything else. That's how I found a place when I first moved down here.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#9]
you dont have to live in hopkins.

there are plenty of suburbs 10-15 miles away.

you could move to north minneapolis and live cheap.

check out crystal and robbinsdale.

I would also look for a duplex in the star-tri around there.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#10]
The wife and I have a townhouse a few blocks from the Jedi Master Sully spoke of.  My area is "OK", but as soon as you cross the street, the area gets worse.

Hopkins is an old "downtown" type city that is in the middle of revitalizing.  The new areas are horribly expensive ($600,000 estate homes, $200,000 condos, etc) and the the rest I wouldn't want to live in.

Someone mentioned Fridley, which is a 20 mile hike.  I used to work at 694&Central, the commute from Hopkins TO Fridley was fine, but I would not commute from Fridley TO Hopkins, you'll be against the traffic and fighting all the commuters into the Eden Prairie business parks.  You'll want to live east or south of Hopkins to avoid congestion.  

I doubt you'll find many places that will accept dogs, especially a 50 pounder.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a house. You can get someting in South Minneapolis in the $175k range. Yard for the pooch. Your payments, taxes, and insurance would probably just be under $1k/mo.  S. Mpls is probably a 15 min drive to Hopkins.   Take advantage of the record low interest rates and buy now. You won't be sorry. Don't wait thinking that you don't know what your future holds. It is easy to sell houses if you decide to move. Just friendly advice from soneone who has been there.

My GF used to live at the Lou Anne apartments in Crystal (also 15ms to Hopkins). I can't remember what she paid in rent. She had a 70 lb golden retriever.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]
i'm in no position to buy a house.  i will have to take out a loan just to cover the deposit for an apartment.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are moving from southern WI to MSP, I suggest that you rethink your move.  You have seen a lot of good advice from the good guys on this forum, but I moved up here from southern WI many years ago, without checking the area out properly & I've been sorry ever since.  Minnesota people are very closed & reserved, at best, & they are more properly characterized as snotty backstabbers.  Wave to your neighbors every day for 10 years & one day they might warm up to you.  In corporate life, they range from closed-mouthed to active saboteurs.  They like to withhold information & take credit for your accomplishments.  You might think that the piling-on is bad in the arfcom forums, but it's nothing compared to MN corporate life.

OTOH, if you are moving from northern WI, you are probably used to it.

In any event, good luck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#14]
There is a place on 169, just south of Rockford Rd. that allows large dogs (large being anything over like 35lbs.). I knew a guy who lived there, said it was pretty nice. It is the complex with the angular glass looking into the pool, on the west side of 169. Good luck!

P.S. I also know that off of 62 there are some townhome stlye rentals that accept large dogs. I believe it was called Chasewood Gates, or something like that.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you are moving from southern WI to MSP, I suggest that you rethink your move.  You have seen a lot of good advice from the good guys on this forum, but I moved up here from southern WI many years ago, without checking the area out properly & I've been sorry ever since.  Minnesota people are very closed & reserved, at best, & they are more properly characterized as snotty backstabbers.  Wave to your neighbors every day for 10 years & one day they might warm up to you.  In corporate life, they range from closed-mouthed to active saboteurs.  They like to withhold information & take credit for your accomplishments.  You might think that the piling-on is bad in the arfcom forums, but it's nothing compared to MN corporate life.

In any event, good luck.

Hardcase, sorry you have had such a bad experience here.  I think the Metro area is worse than outstate MN for the stuff you mentioned.  Also, what industry are you in?  Corporate environments are like that in most big cities (that's why I started my own company)

As far as the waving, etc. I remember when I came here from South Dakota and said HI to everyone I saw on the street, then I got mugged.  When you live in the city and your neighbors change every six months, you tend not to get so friendly.  I mind my own business now as well.

I'm friendly, but tactful.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

In any event, good luck.

Hmmm

I moved here from central Wisconsin over 10 years ago... I wouldn't move  back on a bet.
Yeah the politics are a little wonky, but all in all I like this state.
(Course just about anything would look good after living in Oshkosh)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#17]
i'm moving from northern (superior) WI.  there is nothing for me up here.  my family is not originally from here either.  i don't care for the local people too much, or the lack of jobs.  i usually work warehouse type jobs and that's what i'm having an interview for tomorrow.

i already have a few friends down there so i'll at least have a social life.  all my friends that live up here have families/kids and no free time.  boring!  

i'm leaving tonight,  i'll (hopefully) update this tomorrow as to whether i need a place to live or not.  thanks for the info guys!

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i'm moving from northern (superior) WI.  there is nothing for me up here.  my family is not originally from here either.  i don't care for the local people too much, or the lack of jobs.

Wife and I just spent a couple days in Iron River.  Thought it was a fantastic area with all the wilderness and public forest lands.  The people were nice to.  But yeah, I don't really want to be a cashier at the local quickie mart.  But someday when I'm closer to retirement, I probably won't mind.

i usually work warehouse type jobs and that's what i'm having an interview for tomorrow.

Kinda figured thats where you were going in Hopkins, it's about the only employer left in town.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
 Minnesota people are very closed & reserved, at best, & they are more properly characterized as snotty backstabbers.

It's called Minnesota Nice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Heh, I know which warehouse in Hopkins.  Friends dad has worked driving truck for them for ages.

Anyway, if you don't mind driving, you could move somewhere relatively close to Hopkins.  If your job is likely not to require driving between 7-9am and 4-6pm, you can live as far as 20 miles away and get there pretty easy.  Even if you drive during those times, it's doable if you learn the back roads.  

That said, neighborhoods get worse (generally speaking) the closer you get to downtown, and better the further out you go.

Plymouth would be a good place to look, as would Crystal.  You could even go west of 494.

550-600 is the lowest I would consider paying for rent as anything under that is likely to be a real shithole.  

Good luck!

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#21]
soon as i pass the physical and drug screen i'm in.  damn.  hopefully i'll get enough hours there..i'm only nervous about the financial aspect right now.  i might stay at a friends place for a little while until i can find a decent apartment..but i'm going to start looking very soon!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Congratulations on the new job!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:59:04 AM EDT
[#23]
job fell through.  i'm applying for more down there though.  someday i'll have money again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:27:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Hardcase, sorry you have had such a bad experience here. I think the Metro area is worse than outstate MN for the stuff you mentioned. Also, what industry are you in? Corporate environments are like that in most big cities (that's why I started my own company)

As far as the waving, etc. I remember when I came here from South Dakota and said HI to everyone I saw on the street, then I got mugged. When you live in the city and your neighbors change every six months, you tend not to get so friendly. I mind my own business now as well.

I'm friendly, but tactful.

Yeah, mcnielsen you have some good points there.  The only time that I go outstate is to hunt & it's pretty obvious that they don't want to see city boys out there taking "their" game, what little is left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Minnesota people are very closed & reserved, at best, & they are more properly characterized as snotty backstabbers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's called Minnesota Nice.

Ya got that right, back40.  Did you see the thread about the treatment that some of the guys on here got from FAC?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Inferno, due to the fact that you're from a more rural part of "Sconnie" I'd bet that you'd get along pretty well with rural Minnesotans...

my mom's side of the family is from rural mn (macintosh to be exact), my dads side is from rural wi.

as far as city folks, i gave a few mnpls boys a ride to their cabin last year when they got their truck stuck out at the brule river.  pretty funny...they would have had to walk a couple miles wearing their fishing waders.  

what strikes me as odd, is that a bunch of people i know have developed attitudes after moving to the big cities.  they come back and talk a lot of shit about superior/duluth area.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top