Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2012 8:09:56 PM EDT
I found this in the hog hunting section and figured everyone would like to know about it, seems like someone in  South GA is giving us a bad name.

link

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, when I first started reading this I assumed it was a member who used to be here who had major problems in the EE.  He did guided hog hunts, too, but I can't remember his name for the life of me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:10:46 AM EDT
[#2]
That's all kinds of fucked up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#3]
That guy that was here in GA was Tommy something. I can't remember his last name as it was 8 years ago that we contracted with him for our Hog Hunts. I do remember that his partner was Jay Cranford.  The same guy in question in the linked thread.

Tommy also got a bad rap for selling a bunch of AR Parts and then never delivering them.

Tommy tried to get payment up front from us but we only gave him half. There were 8 of us in the party and only one guide - him. We had already expected to have a few guides to handle our party. His idea of a guided hunt was to take us and place us in stands.

We all ended up getting a good pig. Tommy did transport them to the Red Meat processor for us.

As for the tip, we had already planned on giving him one based on the level of service we received as that is typically how tips are done.
He became pro active near the end of the hunt and started making it known to us that he expected a tip which kind of took us all back. Even more so when he told us what he considered as a tip.
He ended up getting about half of what he wanted and got a little angry over the fact as we left.

It truly sucks that these guys are still out ripping folks off.

This is the link that we used to book the hunt back in 2004 - Trophy's Unlimited

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#4]
That guy that was here in GA was Tommy something. I can't remember his last name as it was 8 years ago that we contracted with him for our Hog Hunts. I do remember that his partner was Jay Cranford. The same guy in question in the linked thread.

Yes, his name is Tommy Haskins.  I am not at all surprised that he's involved with this other guy, as it seems to be right up his alley.  I'd be curious to see if they are truly still partners, but it sounds a lot like his MO.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Bingo.........that was it Haskins. Tommy Haskins. A crook along with Jay Cranford.

A quick Google search reveals that Tommy has started up his own Hog Guide company down in Macon - Hog Guide.net
He even has a pic of the pig I took back then with my 50 Beowulf on the bottom of one of his pages.

He mentions his sister company..........I expect that is the other site run by Jay Cranford.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#7]
A few years ago a fellow came in the shop and purchased a fairly large quantity of various AR parts and accessories.

I didn't know him but he told me he was in the guided hog hunting business including suppressed night hunts using night vision scopes.

He tried to sell me on a guided hunt but my Spidey Senses were tingling something awful and I decided not to book a hunt.

I have to wonder if this is the same Tommy you guys are talking about..????

I know a couple of guys that run hogs with dogs but I would hate to get in the middle of of an already screwy situation.

td
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Did everyone get their refunds for the BH ammo? I seem to recall that not all did.....just a bunch of empty promises.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#9]

I only ever bought a chamber brush from him.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I bought a lot of reloading components and a Colt AR-15 (preban) from him, but it was all face-to-face deals either at a match or when I met him to buy the rifle.   While he had problems at the end, early on, he had the potential to REALLY screw a lot of people over, since he didn't have the ability to charge credit cards at matches, he was recording numbers on a pad of paper, and I never heard of him charging anybody extra (of course, everybody knew exactly how to find him).

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought a lot of reloading components and a Colt AR-15 (preban) from him, but it was all face-to-face deals either at a match or when I met him to buy the rifle.   While he had problems at the end, early on, he had the potential to REALLY screw a lot of people over, since he didn't have the ability to charge credit cards at matches, he was recording numbers on a pad of paper, and I never heard of him charging anybody extra (of course, everybody knew exactly how to find him).

I remember buying parts, ammo, and safety indicators from him out of his vehicle, at the 600 yard line parking lot, after matches a few times. I did let him write down my cc info, and never did have a problem.  

It's pretty unfortunate how he went sideways with all that stuff.  He used to be a nice guy, helpful, and always had what I needed, and good to have a laugh with.

Some people don't do good with business, and some people handle things poorly.  It's unfortunate that what used to be a decent fellow ended up being both of those bad things.

I have high respect for people that can do a good job in the gun business (most small businesses, actually)  I used to do refinishing for people, and light repair/modification/cleaning work in my spare time.  I was pretty happy doing it, but once people started calling that I did not know, and there started to be a lot of stuff to do, I realized a really strong potential to become one of those pariahs of the gun community we hear about, keeping projects too long, losing stuff, and being generally hated while trying to do things the way you do them.  I cut it off, and will only work on stuff as I please, for friends who understand that I have a very full life.

The stuff about the hog hunting is pretty inexcusable.   I guess we can all get fooled by a friendly guy once in a while.  Hopefully folks will steer clear of doing business with him once the word is really out there.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That guy that was here in GA was Tommy something. I can't remember his last name as it was 8 years ago that we contracted with him for our Hog Hunts. I do remember that his partner was Jay Cranford.  The same guy in question in the linked thread.

Tommy also got a bad rap for selling a bunch of AR Parts and then never delivering them.

Tommy tried to get payment up front from us but we only gave him half. There were 8 of us in the party and only one guide - him. We had already expected to have a few guides to handle our party. His idea of a guided hunt was to take us and place us in stands.

We all ended up getting a good pig. Tommy did transport them to the Red Meat processor for us.

As for the tip, we had already planned on giving him one based on the level of service we received as that is typically how tips are done.

He became pro active near the end of the hunt and started making it known to us that he expected a tip which kind of took us all back. Even more so when he told us what he considered as a tip.

He ended up getting about half of what he wanted and got a little angry over the fact as we left.

It truly sucks that these guys are still out ripping folks off.

This is the link that we used to book the hunt back in 2004 - Trophy's Unlimited

Thanks for this info!  I am the guy who had bad experience in GA that this thread is about and I did book it from the same company as you  - Trophy's Unlimited.  our story is exactly the same except in our case Jay got all the money upfront (my mistake) and never showed up again throughout the weekend.

This post shows that the pattern is repeatable and will help a lot with my coming complaint with GA Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:09:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I can't say anything regards to the hog hunting but only to say Tommy Haskins put on a great opening day dove shoot at Hickory Hill this year.  It was well planned, prepped, with great food and lots of folks.  Everyone got birds.  I don't know Jay Cranford but Tommy seemed to me like he is trying hard to run a respectable business.  And this is coming from someone that didn't really get along with Tommy years ago.  Just my opinion.

Sorry about your hunt though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Let me state for the Record that I have absolutely NOTHING to do with Trophys Unlimited and this thread is Not about Tommy Haskins or Hogguide.net.
I have One of the largest Hog Hunting Operations in the south shooting Thousands of Georgia Swamp Boars since leaving this Board and the Closing of GPSS..
I am not active on this board and am NOT Involved in the Selling of any Guns or Gun Parts on This Board or any other.
We do Hog Hunts and Do them Very Well.

I do believe that For the record that ALL of GPSS business has been setteled years ago.

LOTS of you guys are Still Pile ons, with no dog in the fight, just gossip mongers.

I run a reputable business and have THOUSANDS of Happy Hog Hunting Customers.
Do remember that when you read something on the internet that you are only getting one side of the story and not the whole thing.
Tommy Haskins
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Post below will leave a mark!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Do remember that when you read something on the internet that you are only getting one side of the story and not the whole thing.
Tommy Haskins

How many different screen names have you been banned under??  Here's the list I was able to find:

GPSS
loknload
flightmec
hogguide
rapidfiregunner
magazine
M118_LR
manny_0
johnnyfire
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Let me state for the Record that I have absolutely NOTHING to do with Trophys Unlimited and this thread is Not about Tommy Haskins or Hogguide.net.
I have One of the largest Hog Hunting Operations in the south shooting Thousands of Georgia Swamp Boars since leaving this Board and the Closing of GPSS..
I am not active on this board and am NOT Involved in the Selling of any Guns or Gun Parts on This Board or any other.
We do Hog Hunts and Do them Very Well.

I do believe that For the record that ALL of GPSS business has been setteled years ago.

LOTS of you guys are Still Pile ons, with no dog in the fight, just gossip mongers.

I run a reputable business and have THOUSANDS of Happy Hog Hunting Customers.
Tommy Haskins

So you never said if your sister company was Jay Cranfod or not?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tommy Haskins

How many different screen names have you been banned under??  Here's the list I was able to find:

GPSS
loknload
flightmec
hogguide
rapidfiregunner
magazine
M118_LR
manny_0
johnnyfire

WoW....Just WoW.

Talk about multiple personalities

td
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#21]
IBTL!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:38:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tommy Haskins

GPSS
loknload
flightmec
hogguide
rapidfiregunner
magazine
M118_LR
manny_0
johnnyfire

Wow, does anyone have a picture of this prize. I see that he lives in Forsyth and I want to know what he looks like just in case I run into him.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top