Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2009 4:22:25 AM EDT
i noticed some of you didn't know bass pro was open.  apparently it is a "soft' opening...  the grand opening is this week sometime.  the 27th maybe...  i went in a week ago yesterday to check it out.

i won't spoil it for anyone as some of the fun of going into those places is your initial view.  suffice it to say it is worth your time.  i enjoyed the store, the folks working it that i interacted with were kind and knowledgable, and i enjoyed lunch there.  it is safe to say i enjoyed lunch there a lot.  in fact i highly recommend lunch there.

i picked up some stuff i hadn't been able to find other places and it appeared that the store was well stocked.

you guys might post your feedback, but i think it'll be a nice addition to the area and a fine store.  this may put the serious hurt on sportsmans, but you never can tell.  it might suck people away from scheels over to the east side and in turn they may stop by sportsmans in turn.  kind of like the home depot/ menards model...  build near your competition...  we'll see.

either way, check it out.  nice place...
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I've driven past it so many times, and then just one day there were all these cars there! I think it's odd that they would have a soft opening, and then a grand opening later. I figured opening right before the fair would be the best strategy, with all the visitors in town their numbers would be the best.  My friend said that they were going to have that one famous pool player there - The Black Widow - for the opening...not sure why.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Place was crazy busy on saturday when I went in to check them out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i noticed some of you didn't know bass pro was open.  apparently it is a "soft' opening...  the grand opening is this week sometime.  the 27th maybe...  i went in a week ago yesterday to check it out.

i won't spoil it for anyone as some of the fun of going into those places is your initial view.  suffice it to say it is worth your time.  i enjoyed the store, the folks working it that i interacted with were kind and knowledgable, and i enjoyed lunch there.  it is safe to say i enjoyed lunch there a lot.  in fact i highly recommend lunch there.

i picked up some stuff i hadn't been able to find other places and it appeared that the store was well stocked.

you guys might post your feedback, but i think it'll be a nice addition to the area and a fine store.  this may put the serious hurt on sportsmans, but you never can tell.  it might suck people away from scheels over to the east side and in turn they may stop by sportsmans in turn.  kind of like the home depot/ menards model...  build near your competition...  we'll see.

Hey Michael,

You were that close to me and no call.....what gives bro have I fallen from good graces?

Romper
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Was there Friday eve.Neat place,scenery in bar and eatery was good! Had a 2 hour wait to get in to eat.Bought some reloading stuff and went to the Big Steer to eat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey Michael,

You were that close to me and no call.....what gives bro have I fallen from good graces?

Romper

i'll call you the next time i'm around then.  sorry dude...  my altoona office is very near there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
what kind of rifles?  any AR's?   ammo?

thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]
didn't pay attention to any guns really.  i snagged a shitload of primers and some powder...

i saw quite a bit of ammo, but the cost was pretty high...
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I was in the Altoona area today and thought I'd check it out.  I'm busy with a home project so I didn't have a lot of time, but what I was able to see did not disappoint.  To say the least, the facility is beautiful.  It's every bit as impressive (or more so) as any other sporting goods super store I've been in.  

Something I haven't seen around here for quite a while......the ammo shelves were stocked full!   Their inventory of firearms is huge.  Prices were typical of the chain stores.  I noticed that they did not have any black rifles.  When I asked an employee about it he said current corporate policy prohibits them.  They need to change that.

The restaurant/bar/bowling alley is worth a look guys.  The food is good too.  I doubt the Daisy Duke's will replace orange shorts, but they are nice!

Final thought - Sportsman's better pull their head out of their ass or start putting plywood over the windows.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Well until their policy changes and they start selling "Black Rifles"  I will not step one foot into that store.   It's great that our city is growing and getting new stores.    A gun is a gun no matter how it shoots or looks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#10]
their guns are nothing worth bragging about.  Scheels and Sportsmans have lower prices on that part.  But they are definitely stocked up on everything, of course, they want to be for a grand opening.  I'd say in a few months it'll go back down like everyone else.  The place is HUGE though.  And they have quite a selection of apparel.  But like already said, no black rifles :(
-Thomas
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#11]
On the subject of ammo in stock, it looks like Scheels in Coralville has a very well stocked ammo shelf as of this past weekend.

And another note: I heard a rumor from a guy that has been working with the development of the area around Bass Pro that there will be an IKEA going in next. I feel that I have posted this before....oh well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Never been to an Ikea. Is it worth it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#13]
... and, Michael recommends eating lunch there...

but I'm not sure if he recommends the food...

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 12:06:16 AM EDT
[#15]
such a huge sporting gun company that prohibits "scary assault weapons" does more damage to our hobby/movement than 10,000 sarah bradys.

Not a dime from me
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 3:31:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Went yesterday...nice place.  Apparently ST13 bought all the primers and powder as there was little to nothing left unless your intereste is loading for shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 3:56:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Went yesterday...nice place.  Apparently ST13 bought all the primers and powder as there was little to nothing left unless your intereste is loading for shotgun.

i may or may not have bought every primer on the shelf...

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There is one a few miles from where I live...  I know people who go ape and goop themselves over IKEA...  but I'm not all that impressed.  Furniture and kitchen stuff.  Zzzzzzz....
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
didn't pay attention to any guns really.  i snagged a shitload of primers and some powder...

i saw quite a bit of ammo, but the cost was pretty high...

Bass Pro has a reputation for being high priced.
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i may or may not have bought every primer on the shelf...

What are their prices for LP primers?

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#21]
i think they were like $32 or so per 1k...
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I hate to pee on everyone's parade, but BP does the same bait-n-switch every other big box store does. They bring in the best managers and have assistant manager pose as regular retail helpers. They're all very knowledgable and helpful. They stock the shelves and the warehouse to high heaven, as running dry in the beginning would look bad.

However..Give it a month or two.

They'll bring in the regular staff and it will be the same retards you have to deal with in every other place. They'll run out of stock on items just like everywhere else, and their prices will be even to if not higher than the competition.

However I do like their wild game.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#23]
While it is an impressive looking store the super high prices had me running for the door!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#24]
My biggest complaint about Bass Pro and Sportsmans both is the lack of used guns.  If I want new guns I will go to my local dealer; I get better prices and a chance to support a small businessman.  On the other hand, I always enjoy checking out what Scheels has for used guns, even though they usually don't have any bargains.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My biggest complaint about Bass Pro and Sportsmans both is the lack of used guns.  If I want new guns I will go to my local dealer; I get better prices and a chance to support a small businessman.  On the other hand, I always enjoy checking out what Scheels has for used guns, even though they usually don't have any bargains.

Scheel's had a "used" XD45 Tactical with three mags for $450. After field stripping it I'd be surprised if it had been shot more than 50 times. I asked if they'd take $425 for it and he got the "go ahead." The case was missing the gun lock (as if I cared!) and the guy threw in two more 13-round factory mags for free.  

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top