Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 4/2/2006 2:13:37 PM EST
My son is doing a science project which requires the destructive testing of a structural element of a building -- a scaled model of a cross section of a timberframed building known as a 'bent'. Im certain I cant put together enough weight to make it fail. So, my thought was to apply a hydraulic press to the 'problem'. However, the press must have the ability to display the amount of force its exerting. Its the later part Im sure not all shops have (being able to display the downward force of the press). Does anyone know of a place where I could get this done in the Everett/Bothell area? If not Seatle generally would be fine. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:32:43 PM EST
Look up an independent testing facility like Krazan or anybody else that tests concrete cylinders. Concrete is taken right off the truck on the job site and put into cylindrical forms to cure. Upon curing they press them to see if they have come up to strength. If they break, they need to know how much pressure caused the break, so they must have a guage on the press.

If you can't find any testing facilities, call some concrete companies. They can steer you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:01:31 AM EST
Thanx, didnt thnik of that avenue...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:11:33 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:03:50 PM EST
Thanx...I was going to stop by the auto machine shop thats nearer our home today. I wonder if those dials measured the air pressure rather than downward force of the spindle. Ill give it a shot though...cuase I have to get this project done. Its surprising just how stought a 5/8" sq piece of poplar is. :)
Top Top