Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 8:58:55 PM EDT
the match at Ames Ikes was great today.  it was very nice to see some of the local ARFcommers there.  the nice weather allowed for a alot of great conversation inbetween putting bullets downrange.   i wont say that i was hitting well and when i got discouraged it mad eit all the more difficult to concentrate and do things right.  

if anyone in the greater ames area is interested in doing some  sort of game shooting i would strongly suggest this as THE PLACE TO START!  if you want more let me know annd i can tell you what i know and where to get more info.

Brett
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#1]
All I can say is I sucked real good today, but had fun none the less.  It was nice to meet killarBB and 40-45.

See ya guys next month!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Amen on that being a lot of fun.  I am glad I got to add 1911-ar15 to the list of people from this board that I have had a chance to meet.  The folks up there are very, very helpful, and will gladly "warm-hand" anyone interested through their initial experiences.  They did it for me last month, and kept the excellent experiences up for this month.

Unlike some "I-shoot-gun" related experiences with strangers that you may have, this one does not turn into a pissing contest.  Genuine fun is had by everyone involved, and everyone there delights in the opportunity to educate and help each other out.

For those of you who were there, thanks again for a second great experience shooting IDPA.  Someday I will actually be able to hit the targets, but it wont be next time.

After hearing a couple of your comments, I honestly feel like I may be racing you for the bottom of the chart.  All that I can say is that if I was the slowest, I WIN.

See you all next month, if not sooner.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#3]
We almost need a "Slowest member of the gun culture"  award.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:51:28 AM EDT
[#4]
good morning all

it was great to meet  killarbb and oz1038 sorry I missed you yammer

I'll look you up next month

scores are not up yet but I should be firmly set at the bottom of the chart

I will also say that yes the trigger job on my XD is a success and highly recommended
and the fiber optic sight are a must have for me, and my eyes    

they are that sharp   (without the smiles )

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#5]
i feel like i'm getting left out.  looks like i'll have to get the HK out and shined up...

hopefully i can get schooled up on the prerequisites and give it a whirl.  i have a bunch of distance shooting to do in the next month in prep for pdog trips, then maybe i'll check the IDPA out.  sounds like you guys have had positive experiences with them.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
All that it takes is a holster, mag carriers, clothing to wear over said holster/carriers, and a sense of humor.  It will hook you.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:57:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It will hook you.

this is what i fear...  my wallet is crying under the strain of my current afflictions.  when i get my long range shooting under control i think i'll give one a try.  

glad to hear you guys like it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn! How many ARFcommers were present there?? I was yaking with yammerschooner like I was an old lady, and there was another member, but I didn't get the name. So there were what, 4 or 5 of "us" there? Not a bad turnout. And Septic, yes, you have to give it a try! The beauty of it is that, unlike BRD, there is no incentive to use REALLY nice equipment.

Just show up with your little boomstick, don't take it too seriously, and just have fun.

It was nice meeting yammerschooner, he got me thinking about bullet casting again (although I barely have enough time to reload as it is... ).

Spraying a bunch of "humanoid" targets with a pistol can be quite addictive!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#10]
the rule limitin mags to 10 rounds would really suck for the mac
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#11]
hey killarbb

those blade teck mag pouches please tell me they are the 20.00 dollar ones not the 56.00 dollar set

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#12]
yeah that sounds about right

http://www.pistolgear.com/index.php

that is the link to where i got mine
$20 plus shipping and shipping was fast, i ordered on sunday night and had them wendesday.

Brett
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#13]
40-45  Is that a Canyon Creek trigger job?  I need to just bite the bullet and get it done.  I should have got it done when they were still $60.00 and not $130.00.  How is the overtravel and preset?Is it right at the break point?  I know I could shoot so much better with it if I got one.  

I may try my P14 next month for ESP.  Initially that is what I bought it for last August.  I still have yet to shoot it in a match.  I just love those 1911 single action triggers!  

It's cool to know there was five of us out there killing paper.  Hope to see more of you out there.

I really can't wait to try USPSA.  It's like IDPA on steroids.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Ozzy, are you going to start going down to Osceola?  If so, I may need to come along.  Carpooling sounds like a good excuse.  I have to get my barrel back and get my loads right first though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I plan on it.  It's just a matter of when.  I need  to get some more gear too.  I need more practice first.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#16]
the times are up!

Ames Ikes
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#17]
i thought i shot horrible, then i saw that my times werent so bad.  i was suprised to say the least.  cannot wait til next month, i might have a really big suprise.  lance dont say a word!  if it all goes down i might just have to post up some pics tomorrow night.
Bre++
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#18]
yeah, I win.  I suck the worst out of the bunch of you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You didn't place dead last on every stage, only one . When you can accomplish that on a regular basis then we'll accept your "worst of the bunch" claim.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
if it all goes down i might just have to post up some pics tomorrow night.

better be breaking out that digital camera soon!

I'll bet you don't even get your "foundations" in order tonight.

Who knows, a couple of cold ones and some idle hands have done wonders around this house in the past.  I'm looking forward to the post.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You didn't place dead last on every stage, only one . When you can accomplish that on a regular basis then we'll accept your "worst of the bunch" claim.

You're right, I should have qualified my boast.  It is part of my master plan.  I figure the worse I do now, the easier it is to improve in the future.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#22]
killarbb you have pics from the shoot?!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#23]
no pics yet.........i left went to bed last night with intentions of buying a new reloading press and trading away a 9mm pistol for a revolver.   well when i woke up this morning i realized that i let my purchase permit expire(not that it mattered, i reaffirmed the fact the a certain gun shop in des moines sucks ass on service).  so i wanted both but only got one.......next idpa i will be using reloads

Brett
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I will bring along a camera next time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Dammit this sounds like fun! Might have to give it a try....
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#26]
how "central" are you in Iowa?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I officialy sucked at the match. Thats what happens when your brain quits working .  It was cool to see that ESP was predominately us ARF guys and our XD's.  More practice is definitely on my agenda.

I need to remember my camera as well.  I took it one time to a match, but forgot about it until after.
It shoots up to 3 minutes of video, so it would be nice to get some video of people going through the stages.  Skip and his wife have a site that they post pics from matches on.  It isn't updated too regularly, but it is still pretty cool.  Skip and Lori's Site

EVERYBODY should shoot IDPA once!  Kinda like heroin, once is all it takes!  

Olofson is next week to all that plan on going.  I plan on it, but the shrooms are startin' to pop and that is priority one for the forseeable future.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#28]
wedding next weekend, i will be lucky to make it to the fun show at the fair grounds.  i wont be at the idpa match in polk city.  

good luck to all that go.

Brett
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Are you asking me? Or another person?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you asking me? Or another person?

Yep, you.  IM sent.  The above post was an attempted IM between movie and beverage breaks  at 1 this morning.  OOPS.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#31]
OK gotcha! IM replied....
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top