Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2008 7:15:38 PM EDT
guy at work was telling me how he goes out in his boat and shoots his gun(s) all the time. says he just radios the coast guard and has at it.

does that sound about right? seems a little shoddy to me. he's not the bull shitting type but i was like

-

also, all the talk about gun/boats got me wondering. what does the law say about bringing my gun(s) when i head on over to the bahamas by boat?

thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know  its been awhile  . If you go to the islands and you enter their waters you should go to customs 1st thing . You should also fly a white flag as you go this is to show your vessel is under quarantine ( your going to their customs and have not been cleared yet ) . They are going to then want to keep your gun ! If you don't tell them you have one aboard and they find it you will never see it again ! If you make it passed customs with the gun and you are boarded later  and it turns up your FUCKED !

As for guns aboard your boat that's all good . you have the right to defend your vessel .
Shooting it off on the water for no good reason is very dangerous . A pistol is bad enough but a rifle Don't forget in the gulf 10 miles out  and your in Federal waters .
I have been boarded by the USCG and US customs before . Both times after they stated they were going to board us the next thing they asked was " do you have any fire arms aboard " . At this point be sure to tell them the truth if you don't you will regret it  afterwards . After they boarded us the 1st thing they wanted to see is the fire arm . To make it short after they CK you and everyone aboard out ( we all CK out good )they will return your fire arm unloaded . Then after you stow it they may or may not return your ammo .  
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 1:20:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Been doing it in local waters for decades, never had a problem with the CG.

Guns in Bahamian waters:

Firearms on board must be declared to Customs together with serial number, manufacturer and the exact ammunition count. Weapons must be under lock and key at all times and you are not allowed to take firearms off the boat unless a permit is obtained from the Bahamian police beforehand.

Any infraction of this Law is dealt with severely.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 4:13:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Shooting on a boat is fun and VERY,VERY hard to hit targets like oranges.

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

that sounds fun i'd dump a few coconuts overboard and try to hit em.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

*snip*

is there anything that says how far you have to go out?
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*snip*

If it were me I would go out beyond site of land and only do it on a semi calm or calm sea. High seas would make it dangerous because of control issues and the seas could hide a boat that might be in range.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Just some food for thought.

Note the term "catch all" under  "termination of use"
www.boats.com/reeds/jsp/rn_ch_2_b.jsp#a18

Read  MARPOL ANNEX V   # 3)
www.boats.com/reeds/jsp/rn_ch_2_c.jsp

Roll the dice    

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*snip*

If it were me I would go out beyond site of land and only do it on a semi calm or calm sea. High seas would make it dangerous because of control issues and the seas could hide a boat that might be in range.

I have seen John boats 25 NM off shore . If you can tell me you could see that from 1 NM away I'm really impressed . But what if you didn't  see it and something went a stray ? Would you want to pay that price ?

ETA Guy's don't get me wrong here I'm not trying to piss in anyone's pool here . It's just this . I feel that anyone who has spent enough time on the water has learned to have the utmost respect for it . For if you don't it can and will take your life away in a heart beat . It will do this to you with out ever blinking its eye .
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have seen John boats 25 NM off shore . If you can tell me you could see that from 1 NM away I'm really impressed . But what if you didn't  see it and something went a stray ? Would you want to pay that price ?

ETA Guy's don't get me wrong here I'm not trying to piss in anyone's pool here . It's just this . I feel that anyone who has spent enough time on the water has learned to have the utmost respect for it . For if you don't it can and will take your life away in a heart beat . It will do this to you with out ever blinking its eye .

I have no idea what you just said...
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no idea what you just said...

Your kidding me right .
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#11]
not really, what does a john boat 25 miles out have to do with anything?

eta, never mind. i get it, a long winded round about safety lesson.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#12]
A john boat is a very small vessel that has a low vertical profile  . This can and will make it hard to see even in the best of conditions at sea . But because they are more often than not made of aluminum they do show up well on radar  . Because they show up on the radar screen before I can get a visual on them I know  this to be a fact of life . To sum this up for you . If the john boat can make it 25 NM off shore they sure as the sun shines can make it out to 10 NM . . You could be shooting a gun off from a boat and not see that you are going to shoot someone to death . Are you willing to pay that price for having FUN ?
What else do you not under stand ?

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
not really, what does a john boat 25 miles out have to do with anything?

eta, never mind. i get it, a long winded round about safety lesson.

Your young you'll get over it
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 3:58:55 AM EDT
[#14]
what kind of gas tank can you fit on a jon boat to make a 25NM round trip? the deep sea swells will capsize that thing for sure. You must be suicidal or Cuban to go offshore in any jon boat.
eta* to add my first bs flag.

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
what kind of gas tank can you fit on a jon boat to make a 25NM round trip? the deep sea swells will capsize that thing for sure. You must be suicidal or Cuban to go offshore in any jon boat.

Watch it mister... i have a 15 bluefin scout boat I take offshore on nice days (mornings) its great fun, i run it with a 25 johnson and have a 15 gallon tank in the center seat. I have my Rem 870 marine shotty strapped to the gunwhale when i am on the water as well as a sidearm.

as fo shooting out there, well I dont think I would be shooting a rifle unless of course I was repelling boarders or pirates from a distance, thats what the shotty is for.

I will say this, there have been days when i have gone offshore fishing on larger vessels.. and we were low on bait or could not find any before going out. An 870 marine mag with birdshot is a great way to collect flying fish for trolling... and fun too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Is this comment aimed at me ?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this comment aimed at me ?

A jon boat is usually used on flats, lakes, canals etc... I have never seen anyone take one out on salt water, especially out on deep sea. It does not have a v-shaped hull, no keel, it is a small 8-14' vessel usually made out of aluminum with no bilge, no console etc... for one of these very small fresh water vessels usually used for hunting in lakes to be found 25 nautical miles off shore is pretty wild. If you did see one, I'll bet he didn't make it back alive. the sides of the boat are only up to 1' high or 2' high max. these very small boats can float in only a few inches of water because they are lightwight, and flat bottom. It is near impossible to take one of these tiny vessels out to open sea. especially 25NM out where a deep sea swell will easily turn this small unstable vessel over. They are very stable on flat water such as a lake, and that Is why they are sought after by hunters, bass fishers, etc... a boat this small will not surive at all on any light choppy day on salt water, let alone on deep sea.

here is a picture of a typical jon boat for comparison. just in case you are confusing it for another type of boat.
one fiberglass, one aluminum/steel riveted.

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope thats what it was  . Maybe about 14 to 15 ft long 2 guys in it  . I have also seen bass boats out at the 10 to 15 NM range .
I can tell you have not spent as much time as I have on and below the water though.

I used to love the days when we would head out before the dawn . Going to the Middle Grounds . Flat seas . BE 100NM off shore and it would be like jumping into a mirror  the seas get that flat. After the splash  you could see the bottom  in 150 fsw below you . It was  like being in space .

Think what you want it is a free country .  Remind me some time and I'll show you some pics . I don't have a scanner and they are on 35mm film or you would be looking at them now .
GB
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I read in the Florida Firearms Law Book that once you get in international waters (I think it was 5 miles offshore on the Atlantic side) you're pretty much free to blow away anything EXCEPT other boats, protected marine wildlife, structures, etc.  Don't know about shooting within the state waters though.

ETA: coincidently, the page reference for guns on private boats according to the table of contents is 87.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#20]
i hadn't realized poseidon himself was an arfcomer

-

now that i think of it, we probably shouldn't shoot guns at all. god forbid a round ricochets off into the horizon and some bum walking down the road five miles away gets nicked in the head.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have seen jon boats in the ICW everyday I am out. It can be done, not mt idea of a good time but still.

BTW I saw guy on a kayak about 4 miles out with a dive flag up!!! I sat there and watched 45-50 mins later he poped up. That is crazy..
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:08:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have seen jon boats in the ICW everyday I am out. It can be done, not mt idea of a good time but still.

BTW I saw guy on a kayak about 4 miles out with a dive flag up!!! I sat there and watched 45-50 mins later he poped up. That is crazy..

yep. I've seen em too from 163rd all the way down to 96th st bridge. alot of people use em to get to their sailboats parked out in the bay. the ICW is choppy enough on a bad day. Imagine a jon boat off of government cut.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:35:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that sounds fun i'd dump a few coconuts overboard and try to hit em.

" that sounds fun" I bet that's the same thing the guys in the jon boat said

Some of you guys are in for a big sunrise one of these days

Ignorance of the law is no excuse
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:41:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

-

now that i think of it, we probably shouldn't shoot guns at all. god forbid a round ricochets off into the horizon and some bum walking down the road five miles away gets nicked in the head.

Troll  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:47:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I can see the BS flag coming now, but...

I know a guy who works as a dockmaster at a local marina, he has a WOODEN 14 foot ROWBOAT. thats right a FUCKING ROWBOAT! that he built, that he takes offshore fishing... he rows that fucker out there ...fishes and rows the fucker back in.

Swear to Christ... I heard people talking about it and never believed it... I worked with him at that marina. I talked to the guy all the time really nice guy, down to earth and with alot of integrity.

I was offshore one day just on the edge of the stream, bout 12 miles, there was a weedline that I was trolling, me and my buddy were in his 22 pathfinder.  Out in the distance ahead of us I see this "boat along the weedline.. A rowboat, I am thinking I'll get the coasties on a bunch of cubans before they manage to get ashore. We pull lines and roll north to catch the boat, we get there and here is Joe in his rowboat casting into the edge of the weedline. I can't imagine the look on my face when we rolled up, I recognized who it was and he looked at me and after a great big hello said "so tell me a fish story!, you have anything?"...

I still have a great deal of respect for that man!  That one incident changed my perspective of what "could" be done quite a bit.

Would I do it, hell no,  but HE did and it was not the first time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:17:11 AM EDT
[#26]
The Old Man and the Sea!!  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#27]
called the coast guard's local office today and the guy said it wasn't a problem as long as "you're far enough out," the "guns are legal" and you're shooting in a "safe manner." apparently he does it all the time.

Quoted:

Quoted:

-

Troll  

if you consider someone disagreeing with your "holier than thou" opinions trolling then i guess i'm guilty as charged
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top