Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2011 11:17:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2011 12:48:51 PM EDT by TZapp]
A book by Louis L'Amour. This book is one of the best I have read. Anyone looking for a good read? This is it!!

http://www.louislamour.com/novels/lastofbreed.htm

ETA: This book is not a Western.

here is the book info copied from the link above:

It is the compelling story of U.S. Air Force Major Joe Mack, a man born out of time. When his experimental aircraft is forced down in Russia and he escapes a Soviet prison camp, he must call upon the ancient skills of his Indian forebears to survive the vast Siberian wilderness. Only one route lies open to Mack: the path of his ancestors, overland to the Bering Strait and across the sea to America. But in pursuit is a legendary tracker, the Yakut native Alekhin, who knows every square foot of the icy frontier––and who knows that to trap his quarry he must think like a Sioux.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:02:25 PM EDT
Hey! That's the only Louis Lamour book I've ever read!

It was on the coffee table in the day-room while I was in Basic and I read it "a-page-here-a-page-there" while the drills weren't looking when I pulled CQ runner.

I enjoyed it a lot and second your recommendation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:40:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Z09SS:
Hey! That's the only Louis Lamour book I've ever read!

It was on the coffee table in the day-room while I was in Basic and I read it "a-page-here-a-page-there" while the drills weren't looking when I pulled CQ runner.

I enjoyed it a lot and second your recommendation.
It really makes me rethink my plans of survival in a SHTF situation. The character "Joe Mack" really has it tough.

Although there arent many places that get close to Siberia temps in the U.S. I would have a hard time making it in really cold states if i had to.

Im going to let the my wife read this after me, then offer it up on the book section of Arf.com

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:12:09 PM EDT
Outstanding book. I still have the paperback I bought when it first released.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:04:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TZapp:
A book by Louis L'Amour. This book is one of the best I have read. Anyone looking for a good read? This is it!!

http://www.louislamour.com/novels/lastofbreed.htm

ETA: This book is not a Western.

here is the book info copied from the link above:

It is the compelling story of U.S. Air Force Major Joe Mack, a man born out of time. When his experimental aircraft is forced down in Russia and he escapes a Soviet prison camp, he must call upon the ancient skills of his Indian forebears to survive the vast Siberian wilderness. Only one route lies open to Mack: the path of his ancestors, overland to the Bering Strait and across the sea to America. But in pursuit is a legendary tracker, the Yakut native Alekhin, who knows every square foot of the icy frontier––and who knows that to trap his quarry he must think like a Sioux.

Too campy. A Harlequin for men. Fantastically wealthy, lives in a huge house that is only accessible by helo, a refined gentleman yet a savage inside. Come on...
Top Top