Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/11/2005 1:40:44 PM EDT

I've been in the process of figuring out which 9mm AR or AR system I want to buy/build, and I figured since all those ancient sten mags are so cheap, they'd be the best bet, considering the magazines are pretty much all pre-94, and thefore legal here in MA.

However, when I hit the big surplus house websites (ie Tapco), I keep seeing "cannot ship to MA" plastered all over, despite it being perfectly legal.

(I could buy a colt pattern 9mm AR, but the mags will be like $70 each!)

Is there some new law I don't know about, or are these big businesses just too lazy to figure out the specifics and therefore just don't bother to do business with MA.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:00:14 PM EDT
Find a friend in surrounding states.

I may or may not have willingly said that....stupid gun laws
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:27:52 PM EDT

these big businesses just too lazy to figure out the specifics and therefore just don't bother to do business with MA.

Bingo!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:52:38 PM EDT
Not exactly, a few years ago the AG ran a "sting" operation. He had his staff phone/Internet/Mail order ammo, knives, etc. with no questions asked. Thus ~12 out-of-state dealers got threats of lawsuits and quickly signed "consent decrees" swearing that they would never do business in MA again.

Then the AG did a big media splash about the "illegal sales into MA" and declared (unilaterally) that ALL ammo/mag/component sales into MA were illegal.

As much as I hate the AG, these dealers should have insisted on a copy of our LTC before shipping these items. They didn't and the AG's actions scared off 90% of the out-of-state dealers.

And now you know the rest of the story!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:05:03 PM EDT

I belive visiting an out of sate gun show would not be violating any state laws, as long as I made sure I got mil surplus mags, not new manufacture, which would guarantee beyond any shadow of a doubt pre-94 manufacture.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:41:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jon3:
I belive visiting an out of sate gun show would not be violating any state laws, as long as I made sure I got mil surplus mags, not new manufacture, which would guarantee beyond any shadow of a doubt pre-94 manufacture.

I know what you are trying to say, but "mil surp" is no guarantee of when something was made (unless the product went obsolete pre 9/13/94). Out of state dealers have been known to sell new hi-caps as "pre-ban" to unsuspecting customers. One just needs to be vigilant!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:42:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LenS:

I know what you are trying to say, but "mil surp" is no guarantee of when something was made (unless the product went obsolete pre 9/13/94). Out of state dealers have been known to sell new hi-caps as "pre-ban" to unsuspecting customers. One just needs to be vigilant!

I'm pretty sure nobody is issueing the sten any more =)
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:29:56 PM EDT

Is there some new law I don't know about, or are these big businesses just too lazy to figure out the specifics and therefore just don't bother to do business with MA.

Nope. +1 on AG having too much time on his hands.

I know a few ended up paying fines, but that might have been for ammo sales into MA.

Find a friend in RI/NH, etc.

Actually...brownells still ships to MA, now that I think about it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:17:20 PM EDT
Soonest and closest gunshow for you is in Concord, NH, Labor Day weekend. www.dipromo.com.
No sales tax up here either as you know.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:36:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Blackmore:
Soonest and closest gunshow for you is in Concord, NH, Labor Day weekend. www.dipromo.com.
No sales tax up here either as you know.

I went to the last one. It wasn't bad, got a case of 3131 at a comparable price to online.
Top Top