Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 12:10:40 AM EDT
Hi!

i was talking to a guy the other day and we were discussing hand gun laws in arizona. He stated that to buy from a FFL one needed to be 21 yrs of age(state law), but private party transfers of hand guns only required a person to be 18 years of age.

could somebody confirm/disconfirm/elaborate?

thanks!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:27:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It's true, but the 21 years of age requirement is a federal law, not state.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:59:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hi!

i was talking to a guy the other day and we were discussing hand gun laws in arizona. He stated that to buy from a FFL one needed to be 21 yrs of age(state law), but private party transfers of hand guns only required a person to be 18 years of age.

could somebody confirm/disconfirm/elaborate?

thanks!

The above is the absolute truth.
There is a federal law requiring all handgun purchases from an FFL be made only by people 21 and up.

AZ law and fed law is that you must be 18 to own a handgun.
Since private sale of firearms are legal here it is as perfectly legal to sell a firearm to someone between 18 and 20 years old as it to sell to someone 21 and up.

There is also a regulation on stores selling pistol ammo.
They can sell only to 21 and up.

It is not illegal however to be in possession of pistol ammo between the ages of 18 and 20.
So you specifically ask for a certain calibur that fits the "rifle" you intend to use it with.

From the time I was 18-20, I just asked for a box of .22, .25, .32, .380, 9mm, .357sig, .40, or .45acp specifically for a marlin camp carbine/hi-point/whatever or a box of .38, .357, .44, .45lc, etc for a winchester lever action/cowboy rifle.

I soon realized though that most places wouldn't even bat an eye if you asked for ammo while you have a pistol in a holster on your hip.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#3]
great thanks for the answers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Nowadays they have age checks on registers built with the UPC code that they scan. It doesnt matter what you use it for(MP5 or saturday night special) if it is sub-rifle and not a .22LR, you need to be 21. Trust me , I have tried.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nowadays they have age checks on registers built with the UPC code that they scan. It doesnt matter what you use it for(MP5 or saturday night special) if it is sub-rifle and not a .22LR, you need to be 21. Trust me , I have tried.

Didnt you try to get to Fox & Hound?

Just tell them it's for a machine gun or to make your god happy.  They never know how to respond and usually sell it to you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:29:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This is why I avoided places like walmart and big5.
That and they had a no guns sign posted at the time, between 1997-2000.
I prefered places that only sold firearm related items.

Even now I try to avoid walmart as much as I can, but sometimes that winchester white box will lure me in.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is why I avoided places like walmart and big5.
That and they had a no guns sign posted at the time, between 1997-2000.
I prefered places that only sold firearm related items.

Even now I try to avoid walmart as much as I can, but sometimes that winchester white box will lure me in.

I also went to Bear Arms down in Scottsdale. The only place that will sell pistol ammo to me is Scottsdale Gun Club when I am about to use their range. I am a member there so they already know me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#8]
hmmmmmmmm

have you tried to buy it online? most places ive seen that sells ammo only requires the buyer to be at least 18.. i am not quite sure how they check this though! h.gif
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
hmmmmmmmm

have you tried to buy it online? most places ive seen that sells ammo only requires the buyer to be at least 18.. i am not quite sure how they check this though!

Someplaces require you fax ID or send them a scan. Someplaces (like ammunitionstore.com) require you to fill out an affidavit swearing you're "legal", while somepalces (like cheaperthandirt,com and sportsmansguide.com) dont really care and seem to sell to anyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top