Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2003 8:46:34 PM EDT
TRG
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Give me some info and I can probably load ya some and ship it up to you. Then again I don't have a 308 rifle to test the load in, yet. Maybe a little later down the road.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:26:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if you saw, but came across this thread in EE

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=114&t=182119
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#3]
STOP!!!!

If you're loading this for use through a suppressor, you have two BIG problems..if you just want a light load, you only have one...

.308 subsonic is tricky to load, and improperly done can BLOW YOU THE FUCK UP, as well as destroy your suppressor.  

I buy my .308 sub, because the problems involved with loading my own are too much for me to want to screw with at this point in my life.  

If you have a 1:12 twist barrel, like most Remingtons, you can't shoot any of the heavy subsonic i.e. greater than 180gr.  They won't stabilize.  If you have a 1:10, like on the Savage, you can shoot the heavier stuff, but be on the lookout for signs of instability.

I use TTI Armory 170gr .308 sub, it's a buck a shot, but it is 1 MOA accurate out of my rifle, and won't blow the end off my can.

www.ttiarmory.com
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
STOP!!!!

If you're loading this for use through a suppressor, you have two BIG problems..if you just want a light load, you only have one...

.308 subsonic is tricky to load, and improperly done can BLOW YOU THE FUCK UP, as well as destroy your suppressor.  

I buy my .308 sub, because the problems involved with loading my own are too much for me to want to screw with at this point in my life.  

If you have a 1:12 twist barrel, like most Remingtons, you can't shoot any of the heavy subsonic i.e. greater than 180gr.  They won't stabilize.  If you have a 1:10, like on the Savage, you can shoot the heavier stuff, but be on the lookout for signs of instability.

I use TTI Armory 170gr .308 sub, it's a buck a shot, but it is 1 MOA accurate out of my rifle, and won't blow the end off my can.

www.ttiarmory.com

I do plan to use this load ina suppressed .308 Savage.

I had read about the possiblity of detonating a cartidge, so I know it has to be done right.

Thanks for the link Sparsky.  I will get in touch with the seller.

QS, you meantioned two problems, but only described the detonating cartidge problem. What was the suppressor related issue?

TRG
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#6]
An unstable bullet that yaws after leaving the barrel causing baffle strikes.

This can happen when you have the incorrect twist for the bullet/speed combo your using.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, the other problem is an unstable load caused by too heavy a bullet for the velocity/twist combination.  You should always test fire subsonic .308 without the can first and carefully examine the bullet holes to make sure that there's no yaw.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#8]
QS,

Are you talking about a problem due to a LACK of powder?

(i.e. the primer sets it all off at once because the powder sits too low in the case...can't think of the term.)
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes...it's an old problem with light loads and slow powder, but it can happen with fast powders as well.  Detonation, is what it amounts to.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top