Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 10:40:36 PM EDT
..but dont ask me why I dont sound like Paul Hogan or Steve Irwin. But since I've been here since 1990, I now sound mostly like the rest of you 90% of the time.
No I dont sleep with sheep.
Yes we drive on the "wrong" side (actually YOU people do since the first car that didnt have center steering was right hand).
No the water doesnt go counter-clockwise when you flush the toilet.
Yes most snakes there are venomous.
No I never had a pet dingo.
Koalas are cute but mean as snot.
No I will not call you "mate", thats reserved for Aussie friends of mine.
No I dont throw shrimp on a barbie.
Yes vegemite is quite salty.
No I dont surf.
My name is not Max Rostenkowsky (Mad Max reference)
No I dont chant "Two men enter, one man leaves"
The "Bush" isnt right outside Melbourne. Try another 300km north.
Speed limit signs that say 100 are NOT in MPH.
No I dont have 4pm tea. That Brits you fool.

Reason for this post. Today I was at Subway with a friend and we were talking about where we were when the shuttle blew. Some late teen to early 20's butterface chicks started asking question out of the blue because I dont have the "aussie accent" much anymore.  Basically these are answers to some of the types of questions they kept answering. My friend seen I was getting annoyed, so he started asking also. That asshat.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Scrum sir?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:30:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Do they still listen to Men At Work down there?

And where can I get a car like Mad Max??
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty sure the toilets flush backwards, I saw it on a Simpsons episode.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
..but dont ask me why I dont sound like Paul Hogan or Steve Irwin. But since I've been here since 1990, I now sound mostly like the rest of you 90% of the time.
No I dont sleep with sheep.
Yes we drive on the "wrong" side (actually YOU people do since the first car that didnt have center steering was right hand).
No the water doesnt go counter-clockwise when you flush the toilet.
Yes most snakes there are venomous.
No I never had a pet dingo.
Koalas are cute but mean as snot.
No I will not call you "mate", thats reserved for Aussie friends of mine.
No I dont throw shrimp on a barbie.
Yes vegemite is quite salty.
No I dont surf.
My name is not Max Rostenkowsky (Mad Max reference)
No I dont chant "Two men enter, one man leaves"
The "Bush" isnt right outside Melbourne. Try another 300km north.
Speed limit signs that say 100 are NOT in MPH.
No I dont have 4pm tea. That Brits you fool.

Reason for this post. Today I was at Subway with a friend and we were talking about where we were when the shuttle blew. Some late teen to early 20's butterface chicks started asking question out of the blue because I dont have the "aussie accent" much anymore.  Basically these are answers to some of the types of questions they kept answering. My friend seen I was getting annoyed, so he started asking also. That asshat.

Good Day Mate
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Which one? The Holden HQ Monaro that teh Night rider drove, the Falcon XB sedan yellow police cars or the Falcon XB/GT black interceptor Max used at the end?

The XB/GT is very hard to find in Aus. Seen 2 for sale in the states ever. One red, one green.

fuggers.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I sold my '79 Triumph Bonneville to an Aussie fellow back in '84.  He had come here to buy up Brit bikes and ship them back home for re-sale.  He was VERY difficult to understand.  I think he was from Brisbane.  Between the heavy accent and the differences in terminology, it was a real struggle.  He mentioned that he had been to England and didn't like the people there.  Called them "a bunch of damn pommies".  It took me many years  to find out what that meant.  I asked every English bloke that I ran into and none of them knew.  Never met another Australian, so couldn't ask them.  Finally; in a National Geographic magazine, I found the answer.

It's a good story.  Care to enlighten the rest of the folks here?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Dont worry diesel, I even have troubles understanding Brizzies (people from Brisbane). Much like it is here with the different slang from state to state, its the same between the states in Aus. Hell even if I go back now, I'll probably have some memory lapses due to not using it every day. I had a hard time when I moved here with having to repeat everything I said. Gradually it slipped away and started sounding more and more like a local. It comes back if I'm on the phone with my aunte, cousins or my mates down under usually in a few minutes. Probably because I hear it and it triggers something. Talking to people here in WI, nothing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:21:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Very cool Rob.

AnnieO and I have some really good friends from Adelaide.  Lots of talk about Cricket, Netball, and Bowling. Took the guys shooting when they visited us here last (last spring), and got them hooked.

Know anything about the import laws when it comes to firearms?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:19:35 AM EDT
[#9]
How big are V8 Supercars there?  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Where do they sleep when their beds are burnin?
Midnight Oil.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]
How plentiful are kangaroos?  Ever hit a dingo with your car?  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which one? The Holden HQ Monaro that teh Night rider drove, the Falcon XB sedan yellow police cars or the Falcon XB/GT black interceptor Max used at the end?

The XB/GT is very hard to find in Aus. Seen 2 for sale in the states ever. One red, one green.

fuggers.

It HAS to be the black one with the blower on it that he drive at the end.

I figured for building one here in the states I ould use a late 70's camaro or firebird.
now to find one that isin't a broken down, rusted out, shitbox
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Where do they sleep when their beds are burnin?

THe time has come to say "fairs fair", to pay the rent and to pay our share.

Dun Dun Dun..  tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic Dun Dun Duuuuuuuunnnnn.

They came to milwauke once, but I was to broke to go.  I didn't like them that much though.  Another one hit wonder.  Or maybe two hits? I can't remember.

I hear our Dirks Bentley is over there now.  "Come a little closer baby, I feel like lettin go"
Midnight Oil.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:12:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I would hardly call Midnight Oil a "one hit wonder". I have about 8 albums of theirs. They probably have 12 -15 albums total. They didnt do well in the states due to their music is political mainly. Last I heard, they are on hiatus due to Peter Garrett (lead singer) is in a politcal office that I cant remember what it is.

Nightdriver, look for a 73-75 Ford Falcon XB GT. Thats what the one with the blower is. They modified the front clip since the original car has roud lights. Theres a few in the states (mainly regular XB coupes. The GT's are sought after there like a Hemi car is here. My cousin has a 74 XB/GT with a 351C and 4 spd. Its black and the previous owner put the roof spoiler on it. He pays a serious road tax every year on it since its a V8. But as he puts it, its a car he's loved since childhood.

Mugen, big as is physical size or popularity? Sizewise a Falcon XR8 is about as big as a taurus but has a 5.0L V8. A Holden HSV Commodore is about the size of a chevy impala (new ones) with a 5.7L v8.

FMD Adelaide is a beautiful town. I stayed there on a few weekend holidays with my fiancee. Loved the old world charm of the town. As for importing firearms there now, forget it. Unless you have a REAL GOOD REASON to own a firearm, they are pretty much banned if you live in a city. Everything semi-auto is prohibited also.

inferno, skippy's are pretty plentiful. We've hunted eastern greys a few times when the pop got bad. Once in a while we seen reds at my aunte's place (was around12-15K acres last time I was there, but I take it she's bought more since. Gotta ask her the next time I call). Never hit a dingo. They usually a skitterish towards people in my experience with them. But most the ones I came across were hybrids. My aunte has hit roos before. Hence the BIG ASS brush guard on teh toyota Hi-lux and the toyota LC's. I came close to nailing one with my fiancee's Holden Barina (think geo metro). Scared teh bee-jee-bees out of us when it hopped OVER the hood when we were doing about 80km/pn (45mph or so).
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:50:49 AM EDT
[#15]
jesus christ answer everyone but  me. You play rugby? if so you ever whore yourself out?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:58:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Just wanted to say thanks for the hospitality back in 1969.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:32:37 AM EDT
[#17]
No rugger, never played. Due to knee issues when I was a kid, my mom kept me from contact sports.

No problem TwoStep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top