BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 5:33:36 AM EDT
I'm going to be taking a long drive through Tennessee, and
need to know where I can determine the legality of traveling with some
class 3 guns. I will obviously have my paperwork and will plan to leave
the guns unloaded. I also plan to carry my 1911 concealed in an IWB
holster. I have a Florida non-resident CCW license.

The guns:

Anything I should be concerned about from a legal standpoint?

Thanks

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#1]
According to the information I have you will be fine with the CCW in TN.  The only states that do not recognize the non-resident FL License is South Carolina, Colorado, Michigan, New Hampshire.  There are several states that do not recognize the FL res. or non- Res. CCW permit too.  They are CA, NV, OR, MN, WI, IL, NY, ME, MA, CT, RI, NJ, MD and DC.
You should not have any problems with the NFA items as long as you have the paper work with you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually, to make it through, you must first let me try the Mac out.

No problems, as long as your paperwork is in order.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice collection sir, if you come through Memphis, and if you like, give a shout out and we'll take you out to MSSA for a fine day of shooting, albeit the 50 BMG will have to stay in the truck.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Nice collection sir, if you come through Memphis, and if you like, give a shout out and we'll take you out to MSSA for a fine day of shooting, albeit the 50 BMG will have to stay in the truck.

Thanks for the invite! I'm planning to do a looooong marathon drive so no stops planned.

Thanks though

Shawn

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The only problem I see is with the MAC10. Lage uppers are not allowed in Tennessee. Since I live on the Tn border here at Ft Campbell, KY you can stop by and I'll happily swap you out either a side or top cocker for your use while I keep your slow fire setup nice and safe. I just want to be a team player and don't want you to have any issues
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:02:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The only problem I see is with the MAC10.Lage uppers are not allowed in Tennessee. Since I live on the Tn border here at Ft Campbell, KY you can stop by and I'll happily swap you out either a side or top cocker for your use while I keep your slow fire setup nice and safe. I just want to be a team player and don't want you to have any issues

Que?

HKO
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:45:29 AM EDT
[#8]
If you go to tngunowners.com forum there is a section that list all the states that TN honors CCW permits and it is all but six states.  The are all Obama states!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I took the to mean he was joking.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:14:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I took the to mean he was joking.

Correct. Translate that to read: "He has a Lage upper and I want one. He should stop by and swap with me as he passes through"
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#11]
It's worth pointing out that tou can drive through ANY state with all of that stuff in your car as long as you follow FOPA transportation guidelines and you've got approval out the proper interstate NFA forms. Take this from someone who drove through NJ, MA, CT, and NYC on a weekly basis. FOPA gives you incredible protection throughout the country, but if you don't follow it to the letter, you are subject to the laws of a less-than-desirable state. Everyone who travels with firearms should take a few minutes to get familiar with FOPA.

When traveling, the only thing you ever really have to "check" about is handgun permit reciprocity if you intend on carrying a firearm outside of the FOPA guidelines (i.e. carrying a loaded firearm on your person) and for that I recommend
www.handgunlaw.us as a resource. Tennessee is easy... as long as you have a permit from any state and it's got your picture on it, you're good. What you really need to check on when traveling with a CCW are the laws such as duty to inform, prohibited areas, etc. That's where handgunlaw's site comes in handy.

Would've maybe helped this lady...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/pistol_whipped_at_wtc_1x32hgT52UNhxkP36ZYAgJ
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The only problem I see is with the MAC10.Lage uppers are not allowed in Tennessee. Since I live on the Tn border here at Ft Campbell, KY you can stop by and I'll happily swap you out either a side or top cocker for your use while I keep your slow fire setup nice and safe. I just want to be a team player and don't want you to have any issues

Que?

HKO

It was sarcasm silly.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info guys, hopefully the drive is uneventful!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top