Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 5:44:26 PM EDT
I got to thinking about why everyone trains so hardcore. So I will ask the question. What does everyone expect to accomplish with all of the training they do? I would think everyone has a goal, or a reason why they train. Is it for personal defense, or hopes to be an operator, for the fun and to be a better shooter?? Or....???

That and how often do you train/practice? How many actual classes (DE or other) have you been through?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What does everyone expect to accomplish with all of the training they do?

To be better than anyone I meet  

How often do you train/practice?

Some skills every work day; "Serious" practice (live-fire) about every 2-4 weeks...though lately it's closer to 4 weeks than 2  

How many actual classes (DE or other) have you been through?

Not enough!  But I'm working on it  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Didn't you play cowboys and indians, or army when you were little?
I have to grow older, but I don't have to grow up!  

Oh, and I figure the more I train, the more I'll kick your ass at SEWSA
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
There a lots of reasons:

1.  It's FUN!  Also, what MisterPX said!!  

2.  I truly believe it is a civic duty to be law abiding, responsible, armed, and proficient with said arms.

3.  In case we see TEOTWAWKI.  Or as Bob and Brian say on the morning show, "in case the bad times come".  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There a lots of reasons:

1.  It's FUN!  Also, what MisterPX said!!  

2.  I truly believe it is a civic duty to be law abiding, responsible, armed, and proficient with said arms.

3.  In case we see TEOTWAWKI.  Or as Bob and Brian say on the morning show, "in case the bad times come".  

Ok, what is TEOTWAWKI?  Some Indian dish made with corn??
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The End Of The World As We Know It

y2k
zombies
Hurricanes
etc.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#6]
TEOTWAWKI:
Nuclear, Bio, Chem warfare (widespread), zombie hordes, Constitution suspended, etc.

SHTF:
NBC (localized), Hurricaines, blackouts, etc.

MHO, YMMV, IANAL, etc.

(Damn I spend too much time in the SF and at Frugal's)

-------------------------------

Why I train the way I do:

No plans on being an operator, fighting a MZB* invasion, nor am I playing cowboys and indians, cops and robbers, or "Army".  I own tools, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to be the best that I can be at using those tools, specifically because those tools have exactly one purpose: To save my life, or the life of someone I care about.

The "advanced" team stuff can be handy, as I am two (married), and we all know that "one is none", yada yada.

*Mutant Zombie Biker(s): Roaming bands of hooligans bent on destruction in an SHTF or TEOTWAWKI scenario.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:43:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Cuz it beats just randomly blasting at shit all the time.

Don't get me wrong i still have my blast fest fun too, but I prefer to focus my shooting time on something worth while, and working skills is very worthwhile.

Thats the quick answer. The long answer I'll spare you cuz I don't feel like typeing it all out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Because yo unever know when you might need all the practice you have done in the past, and it sure does beat shooting the same old paper targets, kinda spices things up.

Batch114
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I got to thinking about why everyone trains so hardcore. So I will ask the question. What does everyone expect to accomplish with all of the training they do? I would think everyone has a goal, or a reason why they train. Is it for personal defense, or hopes to be an operator, for the fun and to be a better shooter?? Or....???

That and how often do you train/practice? How many actual classes (DE or other) have you been through?

I started out cause it's fun. This fall I found out exactly what I have learned, when I joined a trap league. I've shot trap before, just never on a league. My "post DE training" scores are somewhere in the range of 5-7 birds per round better!!! Mostly it's for fun. The girlfriend says it's cause I like to "play GI JOE". Whatever. I just consider it another enjoyable way to spend my time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Simple..Cause I can..... and I enjoy it and provides me with a skill that may come in handy someday.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:49:25 AM EDT
[#11]
To prepare to do whatever it takes in the event that becomes necessary.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Iam hopeing the cia will here about my skills and need me someday to save the world
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#13]

I got to thinking about why everyone trains so hardcore

In large part 'cause I'm a 'Walter Mitty' wannabe.

However, my job requires me to use learned motor skills under stress regularly. I have seen and experienced firsthand, again and again, the simple fact that you will revert to training under stress. People who take too many short cuts in training simply fail to get it right in the field. If I ever do have to defend me and mine with deadly force, I'm gonig to have a plan and some solid training to do it with. Bad things do happen, and luck is simply the residue of good planning.

If you're gonig to do it, do it right.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Too many wannabe's out there.  That's all I have to say about that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ahh but you don't say what type of wannabe.

There are those that wannabe prepared to defend their lives should the need arise.
There are those that wannabe prepared for natural disasters and emergency situations when LE can't be there or the .gov has failed to plan propperly, Katrina provided us with some great examples of that.
There are those that wannabe more proficint with thier guns.
There are those that wannabe better shooters/competators in shooting sports.

There are those that are wannabe super duper mall ninjas
There are those that are wannabe operators/HSLD types

There are lots of wannabes, maybe you could be more spesific?
If you think it's either of the last two, you don't know very many of us well enough to even assume that about us. Perhaps if ya got off the internet and came out to a shoot or an event you might know that.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Colt100,

I agree.  But the members of WI crew I've met don't fall into that category.  The fact that they take training seriously, rather than buying high-tech toys & then posturing about how bad-ass they are, supports my argument.  There are very few WI clowns, and I've only seen them online [not aimed at you, but at Mr. "JBT" poser  ]

Meet them at a shoot and make an informed judgment.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#18]
ewwwrrr,  the MN fiasco...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Guess I fall into the clown category   see
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Guess I fall into the clown category   see

Umm, that went over my head.  I hope I was clear that no one I've met in person is classified as a clown
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry was trying to be the class clown (I shoulda put in more smilies I guess)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

ETA: Back to flamethrower's original Q.  I guess I don't see the "hardcore" part to how I (we) train.  Yep, it's a little bit more than your average "go to the indoor range and shoot a bullseye at 30'" or "go to the outdoor range and shoot at a bullseye at 100 yards", but I see it as practical rather than hardcore.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#24]
<hijack>
<==In Mad-town tomorrow for the day.  Anybody up for lunch or an early dinner?  I think BC's going to be in town as well.
</hijack>
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: Back to flamethrower's original Q.  I guess I don't see the "hardcore" part to how I (we) train.  Yep, it's a little bit more than your average "go to the indoor range and shoot a bullseye at 30'" or "go to the outdoor range and shoot at a bullseye at 100 yards", but I see it as practical rather than hardcore.

I guess I should have worded it better. All of the classes are great and I think I can honestly say (PX can probably agree) that the amount of training that I see and hear about that goes on with the WI crew is more than most service members see during an entire enlistment. At least for NG and Reserve. I wish this type of training was going on while I was in. I was single back then and had more money and time. I would have taken them all in short order. With the NG there is really only so much you can do/learn without going full time. I was assigned 3 weapons or 2 depending on how you look at it. M-16, M-203, and M60.  Qualified expert with all 3, even got a perfect on my last 16 quals. The problem is practical training with the weapons systems is nearly nil outside of quals and toting the things around at sling arms. I volunteerd for every op-4 team to try and get more into tactics. I tried to get every bit of info I could. It never seemed to be enough.
I never went full time. I wonder if that was a mistake.

I have always been of the belief that you never stop learning.  Since retreat is not an option, forward is the only place to go. I just need to put more time and effort into training.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't train NEARLY as much as I should.  I have taken very few classes.  I try to get out to my club and shoot when I can.  I'm kind of ashamed but I just don't have the time right now.

Training for me is something to take away form---------->  There are just too many damn idiots out there that have guns and don't know what the hell they are doing with them!

Training not only teaches how to shoot, it can also teach good reasoning, staying calm in elevated situations, and self control.  Training can teach you how to use a gun as an effective tool and not have it just be something to "Bust a cap in somebodys ass".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top