Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 6:37:22 AM EDT
As reported by the St. Louis Post Dispatch...........click the link for the video.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/illinoisnews/story/60D37B6EC5FF4711862576320011605B?OpenDocument

Tape shows beating on bus of Belleville West student

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

Tuesday, Sep. 15 2009

BELLEVILLE — A Belleville West High School student was beaten aboard a bus on

the way to school Monday, and a police spokesman said the beating could be

racially motivated.

The 17-year-old victim was white and the teen assailants were black. Police

released a video of the beating, which shows the victim being punched

repeatedly while other students on the bus gather to watch, some cheering. It

doesn't appear that the victim did anything to provoke an attack and tried only

to defend himself. Police said it all unfolded in a five-minute span.

The victim was trying to find a seat and was told by two students he could not

sit next to them, police said. When he did sit down, one teen tried to push him

out of his seat then began grabbing the victim's neck and punching him in the

face.

The victim eventually returned to his seat, but another student began taunting

him a few minutes later. The victim was then struck in the face.

It was unclear what, if anything, the bus driver did to stop the attack.

Students intervened to help the victim both times.

"In my estimation, it's racially motivated," said Capt. Don Sax of the

Belleville Police Department. He said one reason he had formed this opinion was

that many of the students, most of whom were black, yelled their support for

the beating.

"There was absolutely no justification for the beating either time," Sax said.

Two teens were taken into custody; authorities will apply for charges today.

Both students have been suspended, said Superintendent Greg Moats.

He also said there had been no racial problems at the school and said that he

wanted to talk further with police to determine why they believe race could

have been a motivator in the fight. He also said the school will do everything

possible to make sure students are safe, but he wouldn't elaborate.

Greg Jonsson of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Why the hell didnt the bus driver nut up and put a stop to that shit!!!!!!!???!!!!  I got alot of things I wanna say but there all coc violations so Ill keep my mouth shut.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#2]
We saw that last night on the news....so what part of that failed culture is attractive to the youth of today?....
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#3]
[Superintendent Greg Moats] said that he
wanted to talk further with police to determine why they believe race could
have been a motivator in the fight.

Really?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Just saw this posted by someone on Facebook... It's F'd up.  I promise my kids (if and when I ever have any ) that I will do any and everything in my power to make sure we NEVER have to live in an are where THEY are the ones who have to "sit at the back of the bus" - pun intended.

Two more words - Karate Lessons!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#5]
das racis
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess that's what happens when you let wild animals mingle with people
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why the hell didnt the bus driver nut up and put a stop to that shit!!!!!!!???!!!!  I got alot of things I wanna say but there all coc violations so Ill keep my mouth shut.

Because of all the political correctness BS, if the driver intervened they would have been sued by the parents of the aggressor’s parents and then fired.  This is why our society is the way it is.  Judges have fucked over so many people that the motto is "don't get involved or you'll be sued".
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I just saw the preview of it on the  news. That ticks me off, now had he fought back and whooped a few of them he would be the one in trouble and charge with a racial hate crime.

ETA: I wish that kid could have snapped at least one of there little worthless necks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#9]
BULL SH –––––––– I WOULD NOT STAND FOR THAT IF IT WAS MY SON. AND YES I KNOW THE CAPS IS ON.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#10]
he wanted to talk further with police to determine why they believe race could
have been a motivator in the fight

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#11]
And Al Sharpton is missing on this one...
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#12]
They are backing off it now......race was not a factor, it was just his selection of seats.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

ETA: I wish that kid could have snapped at least one of there little worthless necks.

Give him time. When they let it go to stay PC and not offend the Africans he may go postal at school. Then you and I will further reap the consequences with our 2A rights.

America is going to shit because as a whole we are afraid to hurt the feelings of minorities by calling them out on their shit.

Someday we will again be segregated by threat of violence from their side.

I just hope uncle Whitey cuts of the money flow (social services/entitlement) when that happens.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give him time. When they let it go to stay PC and not offend the Africans he may go postal at school. Then you and I will further reap the consequences with our 2A rights.

America is going to shit because as a whole we are afraid to hurt the feelings of minorities by calling them out on their shit.

I just hope uncle Whitey cuts of the money flow (social services/entitlement) when that happens.

It would also help is white kids didn't buy all the damn rap records and support pieces of shit like Kanye West who would probably cheer the 2 aggressors on.  Turds like that disrespectful POS are supposedly role models for what to be like for black kids.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:20:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would also help is white kids didn't buy all the damn rap records and support pieces of shit like Kanye West who would probably cheer the 2 aggressors on.  Turds like that disrespectful POS are supposedly role models for what to be like for black kids.

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:09:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
das racis

Nope.  Only white people can be racis.  

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because of all the political correctness BS, if the driver intervened they would have been sued by the parents of the aggressor’s parents and then fired.  This is why our society is the way it is.  Judges have fucked over so many people that the motto is "don't get involved or you'll be sued".

It doesn't work like that.  The driver should be in trouble for inaction.  No school employee can sit back and watch a fight without being held liable.  He or she can even use physical force to stop a fight, though there is some grey area about what is "reasonable" in that regard.  I'm not saying that they wouldn't try to sue, but they shouldn't have any chance of winning.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Put a tazer in every seat.  Little bastards need to sit still and SHUT UP
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't work like that.  The driver should be in trouble for inaction.  No school employee can sit back and watch a fight without being held liable.  He or she can even use physical force to stop a fight, though there is some grey area about what is "reasonable" in that regard.  I'm not saying that they wouldn't try to sue, but they shouldn't have any chance of winning.

I thought there was an incident some time ago where a bus driver tried to stop a fight and was suspended for it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
das racis

Nope.  Only white people can be racis.  

+1

+2
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought there was an incident some time ago where a bus driver tried to stop a fight and was suspended for it.

I wouldn't doubt it.  In an effort to CYA employers frequently have policies forbidding such interventions.  We constantly hear of pizza drivers and convenience store clerks getting fired after successfully staving off a robbery or attack.  Hell, a lot of big chain stores have policies in place that prohibit employees from even confronting a suspected shoplifter.  These days many companies don't even have "loss prevention" or "security guards" any longer. They simply record the incident, call the popo afterward and write off the loss.  

Sad, really.

It isn't that way for school employees.  We are expected to do what we can to keep all kids safe.  I could break a kids arm pulling him off another student and be okay.(Though I'd rather not try it)  If your actions are considered "reasonably prudent" while trying to protect another student, you are protected legally.

Bus drivers can actually use lethal force to keep an intruder from getting on the bus.  That doesn't really apply in this case, but it shows the amount of responsibility put on the driver to keep the kids on their bus safe.  I'm 100% sure that stopping the beating would not get him fired, though the inaction in allowing this to happen on his bus should get him fired.  I'm sure it would in my school district.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top