Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 1:02:57 PM EDT
Me and my friend, EvilChuck, want to split some acreage upstate to make a weekend getaway/hunting lodge.  About 100 acres and some kind of stream/pond/view would be cool.  About 3 hours or less from NYC would be awesome.  Houses/cabins/barns would be a plus, but sooner or later we would each build a cabin for our families.  Whos got suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
At the price point and acreage you are looking for I would think somewhere in the Adironacks or Tug Hill Region.  They are both more than 3 hours away from the City, though.  You could also check out Schoharie County - but only shotgun hunting is allowed for big game.  Do an internet search of upstate New York hunting land - you should get the names of local realty companies who can assist you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the help.  The search idea is smart, I didnt think of searching that way.  I'm looking a listing in Schoharie, beautiful lots of land, but no rifle hunting?  I guess that means no rifle range?  I need to call town hall and see if we can shoot targets with rifles/pistols in Scharie.  Kinda tough to spell, isnt it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
No rifle hunting does not mean no rifle range. It means just what it says: no rifle hunting. There are bills in the state gov't to extend rifle hunting to much of the Southern Tier, BTW.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Columbi county...you can hunt with rifle, lots of deer Oh and be sure to let me know how to find you whne you get set up
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Consider the Pocono's . Think a PA address and full auto
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No rifle hunting does not mean no rifle range. It means just what it says: no rifle hunting. There are bills in the state gov't to extend rifle hunting to much of the Southern Tier, BTW.

Vote for Sperry Navone, this is one of his pet projects that he is pushing through (in George Winners name).
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
So what else do I need to put on our checklist?

Cost of Septic? Is septic even allowed?

Electic/phone?

Drinking water?  How much do wells typically cost? (or is there no typical?)

How much do ya think an 800 sg/ft cabin would cost to build?  Prefab, or just let a local do it from scratch?

How much land do you guys think should be the minimum?  I'd love the 100 acres or more, but would 50 or even 25 be enough if the property borders state land?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Can ya tell I'm excited?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Tax Foreclosure Real Estate

AUCTION

196 Essex County properties

Adirondack Region

Featuring the former Frontier Town theme park.

Wed., Oct. 20 at 11:00AM

and

Thu., Oct. 21 at 11:00AM

Employees Mutual Association (EMA) Club

Shore-Airport Road

Ticonderoga, NY

Please click here to view the auction and property information.

http://www.haroff.com/Auction/Auction.aspx?auction=Essex

Haroff Auction & Realty, Inc. 800-292-7653

PO Box 71, Schroon Lake, NY 12870

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Ever consider planting a little vineyard to make your own wine for guests? Make a label using a drawing of your lodges with a sunset over the mountains. (Just an idea) That way you can get nuisiance permits to hunt deer munching on your grapes in like the summer where most people can't find time in the appropriate seasons. Dunno if that depends on the area though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Consider the Pocono's . Think a PA address and full auto

+1,000,000

One day I will have a summer home in PA......
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree think PA instead....I am looking to move there soon.
Then when the wife retires either TX, AZ or if I am lucky Hawaii...............She don't want to go that far unless it's back to Panama.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Then when the wife retires either TX, AZ or if I am lucky Hawaii...............She don't want to go that far unless it's back to Panama.

Oh you fixed things up I see, that's good to hear. Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thank you for the help.  The search idea is smart, I didnt think of searching that way.  I'm looking a listing in Schoharie, beautiful lots of land, but no rifle hunting?  I guess that means no rifle range?  I need to call town hall and see if we can shoot targets with rifles/pistols in Scharie.  Kinda tough to spell, isnt it?

PM me and I'll give you the name of a friend here in  Herkimer/Oneida Co. area we are on the north/south line for hunting. about 4 1/2 hours from the city off the thruway.

Also even if youre not in northern rifle zone you can still have a rifle range in your back yard providing either youre 500 feet or more from a dwelling other than your own, or on land rented/leased by you. Just make a backstop large enough and sitiuated in such a way that if a round goes over the backstop, it'll hit a hillside that's behind it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#16]
ROADTRIP!!  Going to look at a place tomorrow!  Wish us luck!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:29:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I second Herkimer county. @ 220 miles from the Tapazee you here in just over three hours. It the base of Adirondak MT range. A couple month ago there was a B&B listed w/ 200+ acres small stream, $63000. It was move in condition. Lots of deals like this in the area. Look in towns north of RT 28. Norway, poland, grey, Etc. IM if you need contacts in the area. -Justin

Somebody please tell Wade they raised the speed limit on the Thruway.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#18]
What about Sullivan County? Not sure of all the regs, but I think its pretty friendly to sportspersons. Not the best if you want quaint towns with lots of culture, but a pretty rural county and is pretty close to the city. There's even a Metro North train line that runs to Port Jervis.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top