Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 8:18:42 AM EDT
I went out to Fort Rock with a friend this weekend to shoot around at some varmin. We left Salem around 1:30am to get there right before day light at about 6am. For the first hour as normal we got atleast 3 rabbits a piece. After that we didn't see a living thing all day. We stumbled across a coyote in a grass field about 200yds out(1 shot 1 kill w/ my EOTech;) on the way out. We covered alot of ground out in the dessert trails with no luck though.
My Question is, Where in the hell is all the game? When I was younger, we used to see rabbits and coyote out there all day long. I used to pull 10-20 every time.
Could someone give me a pointer or two to where I can find some good varmit hunting in Oregon?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#2]
It varies year to year, and area to area. Where you were at was pretty lame this year (you actually did better than my buddy and I when we were there late spring). Further east was much better, but still lower numbers than last year. However, coyote populations are supposedly way up. I'll be out and about on my way to Ontario this weekend for the pheasant opener, but will stop along the way Friday to do some rabbit and coyote hunting. I'll report back next week.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I know, it was rampid with hunters but we managed to stay away from most of them. I was hoping they would run something towards us actualy.
I also heard the coyotes are out and about. A guy hunt'n deer told me that across the freeway from fortrock there were so many coyotes that it looked like people were hunting deer with dogs . I'm interested in wherever that spot is
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#4]
What about prairie dogs? I haven't found a spot for that yet. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#6]
txs for the info... Know a good spot to find sum prairie dogs?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
txs for the info... Know a good spot to find sum prairie dogs?

Colorado or the Dakotas.

ya, sage rats...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you eat the rabbits you shoot?

I only ask because you call them GAME.  I consider that something you hunt to eat.

If you are looking for rabbits to just slaughter,  stop by the local feed store, buy 10 rabbits out of a tub, take them to the desert, shoot at will.

Darin
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I only ask because you call them GAME.  I consider that something you hunt to eat.

If you are looking for rabbits to just slaughter,  stop by the local feed store, buy 10 rabbits out of a tub, take them to the desert, shoot at will.

Darin

hmmm....

...not sure I can get myself to do that though. I call 'game' something that is wild and can be hunted... I'm not sure those rabbits are good eatin
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Darin

Im sorry, I kill rabbits to kill it makes me feel like I work for blackwater and its delicious.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Darin

Im sorry, I kill rabbits to kill it makes me feel like I work for blackwater and its delicious.

ya me too. I was gonna call them 'Tangos' but I thought 'Game' would sound less offensive to people that don't cook there rabbits with 5.56
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I guess the both of you just answered the question that is this thread.  

I know rabbits can overrun an area quickly, but with as many people as I know, plus the ones i don't out just "shootin"  that may be the reason there is not many out there.

Or it could just be the fact taht they run in like a 3 year cycle and this is a shitty year and that is why I have nto wasted the trip over their yet!!!!!!!!
Next year will be very good for rabbits.

Darin
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]
You went at the wrong time of day and in the wrong area. There is a lot more activity out there mid to late afternoon and mostly around the alfalfa. The fields have been cut for the last time this year so the animals are hanging around them eating and getting fresh water.

Bring a predator call next time too.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You went at the wrong time of day and in the wrong area. There is a lot more activity out there mid to late afternoon and mostly around the alfalfa. The fields have been cut for the last time this year so the animals are hanging around them eating and getting fresh water.

Bring a predator call next time too.

agree'd, will try, thanx
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top