Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 1:54:18 PM EDT
North east Kansas guys, where do you shoot?  I live in Lawrence and would like to find somewhere close.  I'm a member of the Bullet Hole in KC, so I can shoot my XD there, but they don't allow any centerfire rifles.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
North east Kansas guys, where do you shoot?  I live in Lawrence and would like to find somewhere close.  I'm a member of the Bullet Hole in KC, so I can shoot my XD there, but they don't allow any centerfire rifles.  

You a student?  There's the Mill Creek gun club that's in Desoto I think, but I think the membership fee is pretty large. BTW I'm in Lawrence too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Was a student.  Never graduated, and I need to get off my ass and go back.  Any idea if Ceder Hill allows rifles, or is it just shotguns?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#3]
'Nother Lawrence shooter checking in.  Mill Creek in DeSoto gives me a bad taste.  I was a member for a couple of years, got constant shit for shooting my black rifle there, they have ridiculous slow fire rules (only 1 round in the gun at a time, etc) and the people who worked there were asses.  it was also STUPIDLY expensive.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]
CederHill is a sporting clays club only.

There are several places but they are a bit expensive...

Capital City Gun Club in Topeka,
Tri-County around Linwood,
and I believe there is one in Shawnee called Powder Creek Gun Club.
There is an indoor one in North Topeka called Kaw Valley (formally Target Zone), but no rifles except rimfire or pistol caliber.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mill Creek in DeSoto gives me a bad taste.  I was a member for a couple of years, got constant shit for shooting my black rifle there, they have ridiculous slow fire rules (only 1 round in the gun at a time, etc) and the people who worked there were asses.  it was also STUPIDLY expensive.

ChupacabrA, are you sure you are referring to Mill Creek???
Mill Creek, (I'm a member) is a Highpower club. Black rifles are almost the exclusive tool of highpower. I shoot ARs, AKs and everything else there, full mags as well.  As a matter of fact .50 Cals are very popular there. Also there are no employees there, it is unmanned.
Might you be thinking of Powder Creek, which is close, and is primarily a shotgun club? They have a one round rule and a bit of snobbery towards the black rifle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone have a link for Mill Creek or a ball park figure of the costs involved?  Thanks for the replies.

ETA, I found the website.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't remember what the iniation fee was/is, give them a call. I think I pay ~ $150/yr. for dues. Not bad for unlimited shooting from sunup til 11:00 PM. Plus I live a couple miles away and all members get a key. Come and go as you please.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mill Creek in DeSoto gives me a bad taste.  I was a member for a couple of years, got constant shit for shooting my black rifle there, they have ridiculous slow fire rules (only 1 round in the gun at a time, etc) and the people who worked there were asses.  it was also STUPIDLY expensive.

ChupacabrA, are you sure you are referring to Mill Creek???
Mill Creek, (I'm a member) is a Highpower club. Black rifles are almost the exclusive tool of highpower. I shoot ARs, AKs and everything else there, full mags as well.  As a matter of fact .50 Cals are very popular there. Also there are no employees there, it is unmanned.
Might you be thinking of Powder Creek, which is close, and is primarily a shotgun club? They have a one round rule and a bit of snobbery towards the black rifle.

You're absolutely right, I got the two confused.  Mill Creek is actually enjoyed by a lot of my fellow shooting buddies, whereas Powder Creek is a place that is terrible.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Mill Creek is 20 bucks a year ifI remember right. Cool range, I've went out there. It is gated access, so dont just show up and expect to go to the front desk and get a membership. I went out on a weekday andit was locked up so....

I did get the phone number of the guy whos supposed to be in charge of memberships. Also, thereis a pistol league which shoots there as well so thats an option as well. The first guy I talked to thought I wanted to join the pistol league, I had to explain I wanted the rifle range memebrship.

If you want his number (For the range) PM me and I'll get it to you.

Mill Creek Practical Shooting League (The pistol group)
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Add about $130 per year + initiation fee the first year and you're close for Mill Creek membership. It is a great range though...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Capitol City Gun Club is about 5 miles west of Topeka off I-70.  I'm getting ready to send off my membership now.  $125 first year, $105 after that.  NRA membership required.

No .50 BMG allowed - other than that, they have pistol, trap, skeet, rifle, black powder, etc..
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#12]
i need a little help getting into Mill Creek.

i've called the 913.585.9900 number several times but never get an answer.

thanks.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i need a little help getting into Mill Creek.

i've called the 913.585.9900 number several times but never get an answer.

I think that number is the payphone in the clubhouse. You will probably never get anyone there.

I just looked at a club bulletin and it gives the main number of 913-831-9664
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think that number is the payphone in the clubhouse.

effin google, giving me a payphone number....it's a conspiracy against gun owners.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Hi, also in lawrence.   I would try sending an e-mail to the address posted or call during the range times listed.  I found this but the listed address is wrong and it is a Overland Park  number.  I think you do not have to be a member to attend matches.

http://www.wheretoshoot.org/wts_results.asp?CoreId=A6UJ9A001FG9&Option=R

Mill Creek Rifle Club - Kansas City
8112 W 89th St
Overland Park, KS 66212-2942
Last Modified: 2/23/2005 8:01:00 PM

Phone Info
913-649-7344 Main

hashttps://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=KS

Shawnee - Shawnee State Lake Shooting Range, 8 miles N, 6 miles W of Topeka, Shawnee, KS 66600.
Phone: 785-887-6882
Facilities include: Outdoor Rifle (100 yd), Trap
Range Access: Public
Email: [email protected]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:38:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Capitol City Gun Club is about 5 miles west of Topeka off I-70.  I'm getting ready to send off my membership now.  $125 first year, $105 after that.  NRA membership required.

No .50 BMG allowed - other than that, they have pistol, trap, skeet, rifle, black powder, etc..

Why no .50?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#18]
ventured out to Parma Woods today West of Parkville, MO (NW of Kansas City).

very nice range, well organized/regulated, $3 per hour, free targets, large benches, rests.
rifle @ 25, 50, 75 & 100 yds (can shoot pistol in the rifle section @ 25 yds)
pistol @ ~7, 10, 15, & 25 yds

on the downside, the live fire sessions are a little too short, could enjoy an additional ten minutes per session.

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/areas/ranges/

west from Parkville on Route FF to River Road, then west on River Road (left at the "Y" intersection) about 5 miles on right.

finally, i was able to get out and break in my 1st ever black rifle!  nice grouping with irons.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#19]

or has anyone heard of this place?
https://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=KS

Shawnee - Shawnee State Lake Shooting Range, 8 miles N, 6 miles W of Topeka, Shawnee, KS 66600.
Phone: 785-887-6882
Facilities include: Outdoor Rifle (100 yd), Trap
Range Access: Public
Email: [email protected]

I checked it out last year when I was around that way. It's only open 1 day a month or something like that and is basically just for zeroing hunting rifles and hunter ed. There is an (I assume private) police pistol range right next to it also.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone know if the FOP by Lone Star lake is open to the public?

I've been lucky enough to know a few people that have a good amount of land to shoot on in the rural baldwin area.

Matt
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Anyone know if the FOP by Lone Star lake is open to the public?

I've been lucky enough to know a few people that have a good amount of land to shoot on in the rural baldwin area.

Matt

Damn I need some rural friends round here...  Whats this about Lone Star?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:51:15 AM EDT
[#22]
There's a Fraternal Order of Police range out near Lone Star lake. The map is crude but you'll get the idea where its at.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/scorchedearth05/SP32-20060110-064514.gif

I've been out there shooting once but it was an organized event. They have a 25 yard pistol range and either a 75 or 100 yd rifle range and a skeet range. No idea though if you can just waltz on in and go shooting whenever you like though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#23]
when I went to KU, I used to drive to the river and shoot.  Never got in to any trouble.
You guys can go to Pigeon Hill in MO.  Its kinda far but, its good place to go and shoot.  It's free.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Kinda what I was thinkin.  Thats how I shot when I was younger, just drive to the middle of nowhere and find a creek bed.  Did you just drive out on the river road?  I know they have the no discharging of firearms signs, but it is doubtful that anyone would bother you...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top