Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2012 11:54:29 AM EDT
A buddy of mine is looking to get an AR on a little budget. The problem is that anywhere you look online, nothing is NJ legal. Where do you guys suggest without having to build it yourself?
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats his budget?

Arms and ammo has a Bushmaster and a Smith listed for around $700.

http://www.colddeadhands.com/firearms.htm

Edit for spelling.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Whats his budget?

Arms and ammo has a Bushmaster and a Smith listed for around $700.

http://www.colddeadhands.com/firearms.htm

^^^^  This, if you are in South Jersey.  Where are you located?
Watch for sales.  I see adds for $700 Busheys at different stores about 5 or 6 times per year.

Spend a little more for quality.  Spikes will build a quality Jersey LE Carbine for around $1K total.  No tax, just transfer fee.  
Better rifle, and the difference in price is only about the cost of 1 case of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah he's in south jersey. his budget is around $700 or a little more. Its going to be his first AR and currently doesnt shoot too too much.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want something unique, get yourself a lower and I can NJ~ize a PSA kit for you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
go to shore shot in lakewood. They have a lot of ar rifles.$700 I dont know that would be a used price.You can build for that cost will be close though. They have a windham ar I think$895 built at the old bushmaster plant by former bushmaster employees.It is a m4 carbine
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.spikestactical.com

Order any rifle you want and any accessories you want.  Then click on "Service & Tools" and then "Compliance Option."  They'll make any rifle & accessories you selected compliant with the ban state

Link Posted: 2/1/2012 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Call Vinny  at Hunting World Guns and Ammo, he got my buddy a Stag Jersey compliant for $850 out the door.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 for Vinny

Also Cheyenne outfitters has a fuck ton of AR's. While i am not a fan of them by any means, they have a variety of AR's, including .308's. I think i saw alot of stags for around 850-900 as well
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
+1 for Vinny

Also Cheyenne outfitters has a fuck ton of AR's. While i am not a fan of them by any means, they have a variety of AR's, including .308's. I think i saw alot of stags for around 850-900 as well

Cheyenne!  
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1 for Vinny

Cheyenne!  

yeah i here you, but they DO have alot of AR's and believe it or not, they arent really THAT overpriced
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#11]
The more I think about it, I simply cannot tell someone it is OK to buy a $800 Bushy.  That is just penny wise and pound foolish.  
You can get a NJ compliant ST-15 16" Mid-Length LE Carbine for just a little more money.  

Check out:
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-16-midlength-le-carbine-p-443.html

List price:  $860 (only $10 more than their M4 LE)
NJ Neutering Services:  $70
Brake in lieu of flash hider:  $30
Shipping:  $25
Transfer and NICS:  $35
Total:  $1,020

($750 Bushy + $15 NICS)* 1.07 = $820

Trust me, that will be the best $200 your friend ever spent.  
He gets a better barrel with a faster twist, midlength gas system, and ST's lifetime warranty for the price of one case of ammo.  

On a related note.  Tell your friend to pass on the ST magazine modifications.  He can get NJ 15-round Magpul mags with ranger plates from Midwest PX for $3 more than ST's 10-round compliant mags.  

The ST is a good starting rifle and your friend can customize it over time.  
Tell you friend good luck and welcome to the club.  Warn him that it is an addiction.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The more I think about it, I simply cannot tell someone it is OK to buy a $800 Bushy.  That is just penny wise and pound foolish.  
You can get a NJ compliant ST-15 16" Mid-Length LE Carbine for just a little more money.  

Check out:
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-16-midlength-le-carbine-p-443.html

<a href="http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-16-midlength-le-carbine-p-443.html" target="_blank">http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/images/prodimg/STR5035-MLS.jpg</a>

List price:  $860 (only $10 more than their M4 LE)
NJ Neutering Services:  $70
Brake in lieu of flash hider:  $30
Shipping:  $25
Transfer and NICS:  $35
Total:  $1,020

($750 Bushy + $15 NICS)* 1.07 = $820

Trust me, that will be the best $200 your friend ever spent.  
He gets a better barrel with a faster twist, midlength gas system, and ST's lifetime warranty for the price of one case of ammo.  

On a related note.  Tell your friend to pass on the ST magazine modifications.  He can get NJ 15-round Magpul mags with ranger plates from Midwest PX for $3 more than ST's 10-round compliant mags.  

The ST is a good starting rifle and your friend can customize it over time.  
Tell you friend good luck and welcome to the club.  Warn him that it is an addiction.  

+1 for spikes
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 3:08:24 AM EDT
[#13]
What's with all the Bushy hating?  

If you're ok taking a ride, consider going to Tanners Sporting goods in PA.  They stock NJ compliant rilfes.  There's also a show coming up @ Oaks.  Usually a few dealers with NJ rifles.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 4:01:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's with all the Bushy hating?  

If you're ok taking a ride, consider going to Tanners Sporting goods in PA.  They stock NJ compliant rilfes.  There's also a show coming up @ Oaks.  Usually a few dealers with NJ rifles.

No "hating."  Nothing wrong with Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I think he decided to just get one built from Spikes with all the NJ compliance stuff already done. I think he made a good choice.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:10:00 AM EDT
[#16]
There is a company called Atlantic Tactical in Somerset.  They are a supply store that deals with police, fire and ems.  They sell all the firearms police would require and nothing else.  They seem to have decent prices on the firearms the do offer, anything else will cost you an arm and a leg.  If you want an AR or a combat style pistol, I would give them a quick look.

Atlantic Tactical
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There is a company called Atlantic Tactical in Somerset.  They are a supply store that deals with police, fire and ems.  They sell all the firearms police would require and nothing else.  They seem to have decent prices on the firearms the do offer, anything else will cost you an arm and a leg.  If you want an AR or a combat style pistol, I would give them a quick look.

Atlantic Tactical

I've been there a couple times.  They have a quite a few AR15s on the shelf.  However, they seem to not be able to get any Glocks in stock that I want (Glock 19 with Factory Night Sight).  Apparently, I can't "order" it and they can't predict when they will actually get them back in stock either.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I built mine for a little over $700 including shipping.  The lower is gonna be the same.  A1/A2 fixed stock is the cheapest you can get and it's NJ legal with no modification needed.  I don't like muzzle brakes so I found a Bushmaster heavy barrel target upper.  No muzzle device or bayonet lug, so no modifications are necessary.  Also, these aren't very popular uppers so it was cheaper than many other options.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Rayco armory in Merchantville has some ARs in stock.

177 South Centre Street Merchantville NJ 08109

Not sure on price or brands, I haven't stopped in, in a while.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top