Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 1:14:01 PM EDT
hey,

all these dam laws confuse me, because it seems like noone knows the exact laws, and then when you think you do finally figure it out you hear or see something that you heard was'nt right. lol

i say fuck these stupid gun restrictions..........

anyway.........i'm about to be picking up my first AR hopefully soon and i was just wondering where in New York i can hunt with an AR......and for what kind of game can i hunt with it??      

thanks to all in advance,

Eycee*                  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
has to have a 5 round mag.
big game for sure (bear, deer, not sure what else qualifies as big game), but some small game might be ok too
rifle zones, which recently was expanded into parts of the southern tier
the handbook you get when you buy a license has a map that shows the rifle zones for big game
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#2]
found a map for deer and bear season
www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/legalimp.html
furbearers (including coyotes) can be hunted with a rifle, apparently statewide
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with you!!!!!  Laws over here make no sence...

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#4]
better check the DEC web site. I heard that rifle hunting for big game has to be larger than .25cal. which means that .223 is out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
better check the DEC web site. I heard that rifle hunting for big game has to be larger than .25cal. which means that .223 is out.

Rifle* - any centerfire rifle.

www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/legalimp.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Its legal, but hunting anything the size of a deer and larger with a .223 isnt very humane in my opinion
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:05:59 AM EDT
[#7]
your right! I checked and it doesn't say anything about caliber. I have used a DPMS super bull in .223 to hunt coyote. but where I hunt in the southerntier  a shot in the hardwoods past 30yards is almost impossible. if I could find a farmers field somewhere I would use my M1A. untill then I'm happy with my 1100.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top