Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2010 12:41:20 PM EDT
I'm going to make an order of hard red winter wheat (50lb bags) from a supplier in Sun Prairie in the next few weeks...  The supplier says if we get enough folks in a group buy, we can keep the cost minimal. He might even keep some in continuous stock if there is enough interest. I'm waiting on price estimates and should have them by next week. If you are from the MKE area, it is possible I can pick up your order with mine.

I know there is a "group buy" forum, but given that this is a local thing, I'm giving this forum a shot.

Takers?
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I buy my wheat from an Amish store (MIshlers) in Dalton Wisconsin About an hour West and North of West Bend.  Its about 50 cents a pound in 50 lb bags,  They have other bulk foods as well.  Cash or check no CC.  

Jeff

Link Posted: 12/24/2010 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Feed store in franksville, S. of Mil, had Red at like $8-$9 per 50#
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I take it this is actual wheat and not wheat flour?
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]
That's my understanding.
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Now if I buy into this, it just means I'll have to buy some kind of grinder. Hmmmm... any deals on decent grinding mills out there?
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]

What do you do with that much wheat ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What do you do with that much wheat ?

Make flour.  

You can also boil the berries as a cereal.
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I would actually like to get some just to try. I have a commercial coffee grinder that might work. I know most say a coffee grinder won't work but this thing is a hobart 1.5hp and can get super fine so I might get lucky. Let me know price per bag.
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I take it this is actual wheat and not wheat flour?

Yup. Will post price soon...

Link Posted: 12/24/2010 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#10]
On a related note –– I have read up on (on this site and others) and been planning on contacting the nearest LDS facility which is in Naperville, IL as far as I can tell.

The idea being able to purchase wheat (and other things) at a similar great price –– but actually be able to do something to "put it up" –– can it for long term storage.

And yes –– I also would need something decent to grind it with.

So my question is –– instead of going to Naperville, does anyone have ideas for local canning options?  We could do this as a group thing and put up a bunch of wheat and who knows what else for minimal $$$.

Oh, and Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 1:07:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Its my understanding that the LDS don't allow outsiders to use their equipment unless a member sponsors them.

At least thats what I remember reading on some websites.
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Its my understanding that the LDS don't allow outsiders to use their equipment unless a member sponsors them.

This varies by cannery, Myself and 3 other arfcommers went out to the Detroit cannery about 4 months ago unsponsored  and canned up a bunch of stuff. They have to have an opening avalable and you dont really seem to get first choice of dates.I have not tried Naperville , but calling them was on my list for when I got some more money saved up.   The first time I wanted to go with someone that had done it before, Besides I had some other business in Detroit that needed doing.

I will say many of the staples are pre packaged in cases of 6 , 10 lb cans already, so if all you wanted was red wheat, pinto beans  or Oats, you would not even have to use their equipment. (the starter kit is something like 2 cans of oats , 2 of red wheat and 2 of something else)

my other observation is 6 people is about perfect , more then that and you start tripping over each other , less and you end up doing multiple job, which is less efficient.

If you call them let me know what they say, or if I get around to calling them I will let you know. Or if someone really wanted to go and Naperville was not available to non members, I am pretty sure I could set up another day in Detroit. I do need more then I got that one trip

Cannery price list .... FYI

http://providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/122384_Jan2010WE_HomeStoragePriceSheet_US_71140_000_pdf.pdf

The stuff on the bottom left is prepackaged cases

Link Posted: 12/25/2010 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This varies by cannery,

This is how it's been ii what I've read.  That said, I've gone with mylar and buckets for grains, since I don't beleive smaller containment is cost effective on this type of materiel.
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I can get 5 gallon buckets easy enough, but finding them with good lids is another problem. Also, what do you guys do for Mylar locally?

I may be interested in a group canning/packing session.
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I order my mylar online.  I use HD buckets, since they're just for protection and containment.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#17]
What about 6mil clear poly bags heat sealed?
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Those sound thick enough to where tehy'll be fine.  Add O2 absorbers, or vacuum them down, seal, stick in a containment vessel, and syou should be plenty good ot og.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Got the quote today, $22.50 per 50lb bag. Price may vary. For pick up in Sun Prairie. The order will be placed on Friday.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#21]
How much flour can you get out of 50 lbs of wheat?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's a good price, let us know how it goes.

Quoted:
How much flour can you get out of 50 lbs of wheat?

50 pounds worth,,,  ;-)

There are weight volume conversions on the net, but the answer is; Depends how you grind it.

I've been growing a small patch of hard wheat for seed stock, I use more for sprouting (chickens love wheatrouts in the winter too) than I do for flour.

C361
Stan

Picked up the stuff and looks pretty good as far as I can tell. Have it packed in buckets now, and haven't ground any up yet, but I'll let you guys know how it turns out when I do.

The name of the company is "Golden Days LLC", its a bakery in Sun Prairie. They will ship to your home as well, but I picked it up there. Shipping from their supplier to the store was $2. Yes, two dollars.
Top Top