Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 1:48:02 PM EDT
It seems like you have to buy ammo through an FFL, and have a FOID card?  Is that true?  If so, I'm loading up before moving back.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You must have a valid FOID card in order to own guns or purchase ammo. Have a gun or ammo and no FOID = go to jail!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
you can buy ammo without an FFL, but you must present your FOID card
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
you can buy ammo without an FFL, but you must present your FOID card

I meant like through the mail.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Law has passed.  You must provide a copy of your FOID, and it must ship to the addy on your foid or on your driver's license.  You do not need an FFL to buy ammo through the mail anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Law has passed.  You must provide a copy of your FOID, and it must ship to the addy on your foid or on your driver's license.  You do not need an FFL to buy ammo through the mail anymore.

I like how Illinois passed a law and now expects other states to follow it.

If you order from a vendor in another state, it's up to them as to what kind of credentials they'll require.

Some places will only ship to the address on the FOID, some won't ship at all to Cook or the surrounding counties, and some won't even ask for an FOID.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
When I lived in Illinois, I never had a problem shipping ammo to my work address in Iowa.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you order from a vendor in another state, it's up to them as to what kind of credentials they'll require.

Some places will only ship to the address on the FOID, some won't ship at all to Cook or the surrounding counties, and some won't even ask for an FOID.

That's not actually 100% true.  They supposedly can be fined for refusing to comply with Illinois law.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not actually 100% true.  They supposedly can be fined for refusing to comply with Illinois law.

What part of what I said isn't true?

Point 1?  true.

Pont 2?  true.  I ordered ammo today and was not asked to, and did not provide my FOID.

Point3?  true.

Looks like what i said was correct.  Whether or not Lisa Madigan thinks she is going to fine businesses in other states is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#9]
ok, phew... I really dont wanna stock up before I move back.. the only reason I'm coming back home in 2008 is to use my illinois veterans grant.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What part of what I said isn't true?

Point 1?  true.

Pont 2?  true.  I ordered ammo today and was not asked to, and did not provide my FOID.

Point3?  true.

Looks like what i said was correct.  Whether or not Lisa Madigan thinks she is going to fine businesses in other states is irrelevant.

I posted up this same arguement a while back.  I ended up driving all the way to my mom's house to pick up my 3,000 rounds of 7.62x51, because AIM wouldn't send it to me here at my apartment which is not my legal address right now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:33:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I posted up this same arguement a while back.  I ended up driving all the way to my mom's house to pick up my 3,000 rounds of 7.62x51, because AIM wouldn't send it to me here at my apartment which is not my legal address right now.

Just because AIM can be a pain in the ass doesn't mean everyone else is.  Natchez is hassle free and can have some good deals from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:35:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ok, phew... I really dont wanna stock up before I move back.. the only reason I'm coming back home in 2008 is to use my illinois veterans grant.

Hell yeah!

IVG + GI Bill = easy street!

From personal experience, at Southern, you can live off the GI Bill without getting a job.  It's like being on permanent vacation after being in the military.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:42:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell yeah!

IVG + GI Bill = easy street!

From personal experience, at Southern, you can live off the GI Bill without getting a job.  It's like being on permanent vacation after being in the military.

I've heard this a few times now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Your TN drivers license is as good as FOID in Illinois for buying ammo, long guns, and range time at local gunshops.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just because AIM can be a pain in the ass doesn't mean everyone else is.  Natchez is hassle free and can have some good deals from time to time.

I know, I have bought from them, as well.

Quoted:
Your TN drivers license is as good as FOID in Illinois for buying ammo, long guns, and range time at local gunshops.

Bordering states only I do believe.  TN doesn't border Illinois at any point.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, I have bought from them, as well.

Quoted:

Bordering states only I do believe.  TN doesn't border Illinois at any point.

In theory out of staters can only buy shotgun ammo since IL is a shotgun only hunting state. In practice that is not the case. Nor is it enforced.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#17]
That's not true, you can  buy ammo for any reason or no reason, not just for hunting.

Besides, you can use certain firearms that are otherwise illegal for game animals against a number of animals....like coyotes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top