Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 4:37:30 AM EDT
I know this is old news, but WTF?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/264580_shootfolo28.html

Killer's taunt: 'There's plenty for everyone'
Among the six victims were two girls, ages 15 and 14

By HECTOR CASTRO
P-I REPORTER

Hiding and terrified, some of those inside a Capitol Hill house where six people were shot dead during a post-rave party Saturday managed to call 911 for help, whispering to avoid discovery by the heavily armed gunman, authorities said Monday.

Kyle Aaron Huff, 28, taunted his victims at the home at 2112 E. Republican St., saying as he fired, "There's plenty for everyone."

Four men were killed in the rampage, but the most shocking revelations came Monday, when authorities disclosed that the other two victims were young girls: a 14-year-old from Milton and a 15-year-old from Bellevue.

The King County Medical Examiner's Office on Monday officially ruled Huff's death a suicide. The gunman shot himself in the head as the first police officer arrived.
  Friends of shooting victims comfort each other Monday at the scene of Saturday's rampage on East Republican Street. The woman at left declined to give her name, the woman in the middle gave her rave name, Tricse, and the man at right identified himself as Kneil.

Besides the six slaying victims, two others wounded in the rampage remain at Harborview Medical Center. Both were listed in satisfactorycondition Monday.

"This was clearly a premeditated campaign of homicide," Seattle Deputy Police Chief Clark Kimerer said.

Kyle and Kelley Moore said they allowed their 14-year-old daughter, Melissa, to go to raves as long she came home by her 3 a.m. curfew. Saturday morning, the ninth-grader never made it back.

After the Moores got the grim news Monday, they visited the scene of the killings. Kyle Moore placed his daughter's bracelet near the rental home's front steps.

"She was brighter than the sun right there," he said, pointing skyward.

Two days after the city's worst mass murder in more than 20 years, police still struggled to define the inexplicable.

"Homicidal mayhem," "murderous rampage," "senseless act," "murderous spree," were just a few of the ways Kimerer described the shootings Monday.

Kyle Moore pauses outside the house on East Republican Street on Monday where his 14-year-old daughter, Melissa, was killed.

"We still really have no idea what the motive was," Kimerer told the City Council at a special briefing requested by city leaders.

Huff has been described by some who knew him as a "teddy bear," always willing to lend a hand, but others who crossed his path said he could be violent.

Huff and his twin brother were involved in a Seattle bar brawl on May 15, 2004, that, according to a police report, involved as many as 10 people. The brothers were listed as victims in the fight.

Tests to determine whether Huff had taken drugs before the killings are at least two weeks away. But at least one local teen who ran into Huff at a St. Patrick's Day rave said it appeared he took drugs then.

Jolene Padgett, 17, of Snohomish said Huff seemed incapacitated. "I'm surprised he didn't end up in the hospital."

Huff's interest in the local rave scene may have started recently.

In a message posted on a rave Web site, someone who identified himself as Kyle Huff wrote, "Hey, I've never been to a rave in Seattle and was wondering if anyone could tell me when one is coming up. It's the 1st of February 2006 right now."

Friday night, Huff attended a "zombie rave" at the Capitol Hill Arts Center on 12th Avenue near Pine Street. He was invited to an after-party at the house on Republican Street by someone he met at the rave. Between 20 and 30 people were in the house at the time.

Witnesses told police Huff was quiet and self-effacing, but at the same time some said he seemed a "bit of a loner," Kimerer said.

Huff stayed at the house until just before 7 a.m. Saturday, when he walked out to his truck, parked just around the corner, and presumably armed himself.

On Monday, police released dispatch records that show the first report of gunfire came at 7:03 a.m. Huff approached the house carrying a shotgun and a semi-automatic handgun, and wore two bandoliers of ammunition. He also had a canvas pouch with more ammo and had even more rounds stuffed in his pockets.

One of the first callers told 911 operators there were gunshots and "people screaming."

At 7:05 a.m. came the first call from inside the home, reporting there was shooting outside the house.

Huff shot and killed one young man on the steps leading to the house, and one of the girls on the porch, police said.

Those inside tried to bar the door, but Huff forced it open. He killed three people outright in the living room. One of the callers to 911, a survivor of the shooting, was in the living room when she called.

Huff then went methodically through the rest of the house -- the kitchen, the upstairs rooms where he fired into a locked bathroom, missing two people hiding in there, and down into the basement, where three men were hiding.

"He walked through, checking doors, looking for people," Capt. Tag Gleason said.

"He randomly came up, fired, and people scrambled," said Jesiah Martin, 24, one of those inside the house at the time.

Martin was friends with those who lived in the house and spoke with Huff at the after-rave gathering, who he said was quiet and had less than two beers that evening. Those gathered inside the home were just hanging out, Martin said, some listening to music, some asleep.

By 7:06 a.m., Huff had walked outside, via the sliding glass door from the basement.

Officer Steven Leonard, who heard the shots, arrived at just that moment. Before he could order Huff to drop his weapons, Huff turned the shotgun on himself.

At a news conference Monday, police displayed some of the weapons Huff had with him: a machete, a gold-colored aluminum baseball bat, and a Bushmaster XM15 E2S rifle. There was also a black canvas bag like the one Huff wore that he stuffed with ammunition.

All these items were recovered from Huff's black Dodge Laramie pickup.

Leon Nobles of Seattle, right, signs his name on the neck of Shane "Mystery" Wicker of Puyallup, whose chest bears the names of some of the victims of Saturday's rampage at a Capitol Hill house. Wicker says he always gets people to sign his chest at rave parties.

Police also displayed a Winchester Defender shotgun with a pistol grip, the same make and model as the one used by Huff. The actual weapon, along with the .40-caliber Ruger semi-automatic handgun that Huff also had with him Saturday, were not shown. Those firearms are being examined by detectives, who are also tracing all the weapons to determine their origins.

It appears Huff had at least two of the weapons since Nov. 21, 2000. That was when he was arrested for shooting a moose sculpture in downtown Whitefish, Mont., with a shotgun and a handgun, the very weapons he wielded Saturday.

The guns were confiscated by authorities, but a judge ordered that they be returned when the charges against Huff were reduced to a misdemeanor.

Officials said Huff's twin brother, Kane, who was interviewed Saturday, apparently had no knowledge of his brother's plans. Kane Huff was shopping for groceries Saturday afternoon when he returned home to find police at the apartment he shared with his brother.

"He was surprised to see the police there," Kimerer said.

Police recovered additional weapons and ammunition from the brothers' Roosevelt District apartment, but Kimerer said, "There was no note, no evidence that gave us insight into what possessed him to take so many innocent lives."

Investigators seized a computer but have not yet examined its contents and are working to obtain a search warrant.

The brothers moved from Montana to Seattle about five years ago. Kyle Huff paid a recent visit to Montana, Kimerer said.

At the council briefing, city leaders offered condolences to the families of those slain Saturday and there was talk of adopting some sort of resolution recognizing the slayings.

"Last week was a pretty tough week for the citizens of Seattle," City Councilman Tom Rasmussen said.

He also asked whether it was possible that this was a hate crime of some sort.

"At this point, all possibilities are being investigated," Kimerer replied.

While there's no mystery about the killer here, Kimerer said discovering the why of his actions may take a long time. More than 25 detectives and sergeants, including the six detectives of the CSI Unit, are assigned to the case.

Kimerer said the department is committed to discovering the reasons behind the murders.

"We will continue to try and get to the bottom of this," he said. "We owe it to the citizens of this community."

MORE INFORMATION

'SERVICE OF HOPE' TODAY

On 15 occasions since late 2004, the Church Council of Greater Seattle has held a public "Service of Hope" at the scene of a homicide.

The 16th will be today at 6 p.m. on Capitol Hill, outside the house where Kyle Aaron Huff gunned down six people before killing himself.

The sidewalk service will be "partly a witness about reconciliation and prayer for peace after there's been violence, and partly about the community gathering together to create support," said the Rev. Sanford "Sandy" Brown, executive director of the council.

Participants will pray for the six victims and also for Huff.

A council board member, William Lowe, who lives across the street from the crime scene, asked Brown to conduct the brief service.

The Rev. Chris Weekly of St. Joseph Catholic Church and Rabbi Daniel Weiner of Temple De Hirsch Sinai are among the clergy who will speak at the service at 2112 E. Republican St. Clergy interested in participating should arrive by 5:45 p.m.

The service will last about 30 minutes.

For more information, call 206-525-1213 or go online to www.churchcouncilseattle.org/subpages/serviceofhope.html

After the service, the Miller Park Neighborhood Association will hold a community meeting at 7 p.m. in the Miller Community Center, 330 19th Ave. E.

HELP FOR THE FAMILIES

Donations to help the victims' families are being accepted at any Bank of America branch. Toby Dziubala, a disc jockey from Redmond, set up the fund. People can make donations to the "Remember Relief Fund." Seattle-area residents can contact Bank of America at 206-461-0800.

VICTIMS IDENTIFIED

Victims of the Capitol Hill shootings and official cause of death:

# Jeremy Robert Martin, 26, shotgun wound in chest.

# Suzanne Thorne, 15, shotgun wound in head.

# Jason Travers, 32, gunshot wound in head.

# Justin Schwartz, 22, shotgun wound in torso; gunshot wound in neck.

# Melissa Moore, 14, shotgun wound in chest; gunshot wound in head.

# Christopher Williamson, 21, gunshot wounds in chest and head.

Source: King County Medical Examiner's Office

TIP LINE

Anyone with information about the slayings can call the Seattle Police Department's 24-hour tip line at 206-233-2666. Callers are not required to provide their identity.

P-I reporters Brad Wong, Mike Lewis, D. Parvaz and Sam Skolnik contributed to this report. P-I reporter Hector Castro can be reached at 206-903-5396 or [email protected].
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:29:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone having too much Starbucks coffee meets up with stupid parents' 9yr old daughter that gets to hang out till the vampires go home?  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot of wrong things...

1. Rave means hard core drugs
2. and probably sex
3. and God knows what they do
4. mix the 14 year old girls
5. and liberals parents who were still are big hippies
6. and here a stupid f@#$ does drugs
7. and goes on a crazy "trip"
8. gets his Rambo gear and start going postal
9. and commits self-destruction without hesitation
10. Wow, I wonder what kind of drugs they/he did.
11.  But it's alright enough, it's just a bad dream/trip

Bonus: Bushmaster XM15 E2S rifle--the first shot must have sent "shock waves" throughout the house.  This thing is extra noisy and vibrates air too much.  Glad I don't hang around this rifle no more.

Edited to correct dumb things I put...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The other problem with something like this happening, its going to hit on a national level not just Washington state.  The first thing your going to hear is more gun controle and it wont just come from the powers that be, it will also come from the victims families just like Columbine.  My heart does go out to the victims families.  The guy should have skipped the first 6 and just off'ed himself.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#4]
He left the Bushy unfired in his truck.  He used the shotgun to kill/wound everyone.  I'm not sure whether he killed himself with the shotgun of if he used his pistol.  

Graziani, I'm so out of touch with what is hip and happening, I really had not thought about the drug angle.  I suspect you hit it squarely on the head.

Did you mean to say the parents are liberals, not libertarians?  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you, bird.  Yes, I meant the liberal parents.  Terminology gets so confusing...

And yes, I've known a guy who got coked up enough and tried to resist an officer and fired shots at him with his Glock and ended up commiting suicide.  Read the incident on a newspaper and someone told me it's "him."  Oh well, there you go.

Say NO to drugs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Let's not overcomplicate this.  The ages of the victims nor their political and philosophical inclinations have anything to do with this.  They were in the wrong place at the wrong time when a fucking nut decided to go on a killing spree and NO ONE had an effective means of self-defense (i.e. a gun!).
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Let's not overcomplicate this.  The ages of the victims nor their political and philosophical inclinations have anything to do with this.  They were in the wrong place at the wrong time when a fucking nut decided to go on a killing spree and NO ONE had an effective means of self-defense (i.e. a gun!).

My main point is that had the girls been in their own homes in their own beds, they would not have been killed by the scumbag.  Consenting adults doing illegal drugs have to fend for themselves.  At some point you have to take responsibility for your actions.  

If somebody had a gun, the situation might have turned out differently, however I'm not a big proponent of guns + drugs.  That said, if I have a beer or two in my castle and somebody busts in my front door, I'll definitely unload on them.  Perhaps I'm a hypocrite, and maybe that's why I haven't had a drink in about 5 months.  Not sure why I stopped drinking, it just happened.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I want to know more about the cop. He got there dam quick and essentially ended it. Wonder how many more would have been killed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it's a very pretentious leap to assume that just because the word "rave" is used it all of a sudden equals "drugs".   Kind of like pointing out that the killer who used a shotgun had one of those "Bushmaster XM15 E2" ('ya know, like the D.C. sniper?).

We can argue where kids should or should not be at a certain hour but that shouldn't put fault on them or anybody else if someone harms them other than the scumbag doing the harming.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
maybe that's why I haven't had a drink in about 5 months.  Not sure why I stopped drinking, it just happened.  

Ammo price.

At least that's how I stopped drinking and went dry and stay that way.  With only 4 different calibers now, the situation will improve dramatically, but with upcoming purchase of a Lyman Crusher reloading kit, it will guarantee I will stay dry for another 8-10 months.

I go dry, my guns never go dry

And may I point out that there are few, indeed very few, activities that innocent kids can be part of at 3'o clock in the morning.  Nothing good can come out of it.  I aks the questioN: why weren't they sleeping???  Probably they were too drugged up and psyched up to sleep
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Parents or guardians are responsible for the safety and upbringing of their children.  

I may be pretentious, but I know where my kids are, and they are safe and supervised.  When they become teenagers, the same thing will apply.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Good god!

Their parents should be shot!

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree that the parents should be to blame for their kids being out that late.  The first shots were reported being fired at 7:03am I believe, this is gone past the point of 3:00 in the morning, thats being out all damn night.  And get real, a 3:00am curfew?  What kind of sensable parent has a curfew that damn late to begin with.  I dont claim to be the worlds smartes or greatest parent, but thats definatly defying the boundries of common sense on the parenting end if ya ask me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
maybe that's why I haven't had a drink in about 5 months.  Not sure why I stopped drinking, it just happened.  

Ammo price.

At least that's how I stopped drinking and went dry and stay that way.  With only 4 different calibers now, the situation will improve dramatically, but with upcoming purchase of a Lyman Crusher reloading kit, it will guarantee I will stay dry for another 8-10 months.

I go dry, my guns never go dry

And may I point out that there are few, indeed very few, activities that innocent kids can be part of at 3'o clock in the morning.  Nothing good can come out of it.  I aks the questioN: why weren't they sleeping???  Probably they were too drugged up and psyched up to sleep

Ha, I like your thinking.  I was a 3 or 4 drink a month person, so that's $15 - 20.  Hmmm, box of WWB in .40 is $16, and range time is ~ $5.  That's at least one more trip to the range.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top