Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 8:37:54 AM EDT
I was looking up ways to carry concealed(not that I would unless I had a license) and im trying to figure out the best way to carry that will allow one to have free motion, allow for fairly accessable draw and for the most part and to not have to wear too baggy of clothing.

Oh yeah, does the FBI conceal carry, and if so what is their method?

THanks guys

ZC
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was looking up ways to carry concealed(not that I would unless I had a license) and im trying to figure out the best way to carry that will allow one to have free motion, allow for fairly accessable draw and for the most part and to not have to wear too baggy of clothing.

Oh yeah, does the FBI conceal carry, and if so what is their method?

THanks guys

ZC

I think inside the pants is the best way i carry at the 4 o'clock position and I can conceal anything from a snubby to full size 1911.  You would be suprised how unaware people are as far as looking for weapons.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Do they make like a pants holster? Where inside the pants do you place it...inner thigh?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#3]
he means inside the pants as in the holster is placed on the inside of the pant waist and attached to the belt, as opposed to outside on the belt.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do they make like a pants holster? Where inside the pants do you place it...inner thigh?

By four o'clock he's saying he puts it inside his pants on his back, towards the right hand side.  

I may take some heat for this, but if you don't carry all the time, a pretty good way for me (hypothetically, if I had my license of course) with my Glock 23 has been with that "pocket clip" accessory for it.  It's just really convenient to not have to use a holster.  I know they also make a universal version of it that works well with smaller guns like my Tomcat, but not sure how it'd work with larger pistols.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont' know if I would be comfortable carrying without a holster that covered the trigger gaurd.  I know, no finger on trigger, no bang, but it's nice to have that extra security.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replys guys.

I dont have a ccw permit but i was pondering the idea that if I got one, how would I even carry comfortably. Im still not sure what you guys mean about carry inside the pants(sorry, im having a hard time picturing it...a picture would help!). is a p226 too large a gun to carry(preference)?

thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
It's an individual challenge.  What are you carrying, are you going to be in and out of a vehicle?  is it going to interfere with seatbelts, etc.

I've known guys that carried underneath aprons at work, in a modified crossdraw in front of the navel.  If you have a sleek fizeek like mine (see my pic on the Expensive fish thread), that doesn't work.  If I was ever to do it, I prefer about a hipside moderate highrise but forward  and up if I was carrying a 1911 or Beretta M92.  The snubbie in a minimal pocket holster.  (If I ever carried it)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#8]
By inside the pants they mean that the holster would rest against your body on the inside of the pants. So working from the inside out it would go: Body -> Underwear -> Holster -> Pants. What results is seeing just the handle and nothing else, and since that is all you need to grab in order to draw, that is all you need. And in case you missed it, by 4 o'clock, think of the way you are facing as being 12, and your belt makes the clock face. So your facing 12 o'clock, right arm at 3 o'clock, ass at 6, and left arm at 9 o'clock. He prefers his at the 4 oclock postion, or on his hip just behind his right arm.

That seems like the place I would want mine; still on the hip, yet rapping around enough to conceal itself to anyone looking at you. The only major problem I can imagine when carrying is clothes type (too thin = visible weapon) and getting in and out of my truck easily.

ETA: Oh yeah, I think if I ever did carry, I would carry a Para Warthog or a short barrel Smith and Wesson revolver at the 4 or 5 o'clock position. If it was at 4 the grip would point back and if it was at 5 the grip would point forward. I think they would be small enough to not interfer with sitting too much and they would be small enough to easily conceal.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#10]
no you could easily carry a P226, for Carry i prefer inside the pants because it really hides the weapon well.  The reason i like 4 o'clock is on my body the weapon just fits nicely there i also like it that if you are facing me i could reach back and put my hand on my weapon without the guy even realize that.  ( I actually did that once, nice to know its there!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree that the most concealable carry location is with an inside-the-waistband holster.  Get one with a reinforced opening (as opposed to the cheap soft ones that collapse after the draw), so you can reholster one-handed without looking.  NEVER take your eye off of the threat.  If you are just carrying for personal protection, you probably don't need a holster with a thumb-break, but it should fit snugly.  Remember to put your hand on the grip whenever doing anything that may cause the gun to fall out.

A smooth draw is a function of practice, practice and more practice (with an unloaded gun, obviously).  Ask around about holsters, because some are better than others.  I have a whole box of holsters to testify to this.  Make sure that whatever holster you select, it does not pull off your belt when you draw the gun.  No point in looking like an idiot as you are getting shot/stabbed/beaten.

FBI agents usually carry strong-side (dominant hand), with a holster affixed to the belt (on the outside).  This allows a smooth draw without worrying about the gun hanging up on their shirt (a risk with an inside the waistband holster).  They are taught to sweep their jacket open, unsnap the thumb break, draw and shoot.  By the way, since most Special Agents are lawyers and accountants by training, they don't shoot like the folks in The X-Files and movies.

Years ago, some LEOs used to carry cross-draw (butt facing forward, drawing across your body).  This is now disfavored, since it allows the bad guy / gal easy access to your sidearm from in front, and since many police officers are shot with their own guns, this obviously creates an unnecessary danger to the officer.

If you buy suits or sport coats in an area where there are a fair number of law enforcement types who wears plain clothes, then you will find that the local men's clothing store or tailor has learned to cut the jackets fuller on the gun-carrying side.  I live in Southern California, and the local Nordstrom tailor never batted an eyelash at my SIG P220 in a Safariland paddle holster and Smith J-frame in an ankle holster.  He just tailored my suits (Hickey-Freemans or Hart Shaffners) to keep a clean line that concealed the extra bulk, and even sewed a reinforcement patch on the inside of the pant leg to reduce wear from the revolver in the ankle holster.  The tailor was also quite accommodating about sewing in extra pockets for speed loaders, etc.

Many years ago, I had a Chesterfied coat custom made in Boston.  The fitter was unfazed by my request that the coat be fitted with slots in the inside of the pockets to accommodate the draw of a small revolver from inside my suit jacket pocket.  Heck, and I wasn't even living in the North End (Mob country).

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Someone on the CCW forum was asking about what to do while running in very thin/light clothes and I got to thinking. I got an idea about using a thick stretch material, like those used for knee braces, and getting a soft holster sewn onto it. You could wear it high on the thigh and then cut the pocket out of your pocket. If you were using a small framed internal hammer revolver you could easily reach in your pocket and grab the revolver and with it's small build and no real points to catch, it would come out (assuming youy pocket was wide enough) fairly easily. Heck, if you were being mugged and you reached in your pocket to get your "wallet", they wouldn't even know what was happening until it was pointed at them.

The only problem is how do you keep the band holster from falling towards your natually thinner knee (possibly clip it onto the bottom of your boxers/underwear?) and how do you keep it from dislodging itself while being overly active (button/velcro over strap?).
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#13]
It's been done.  Bianchi and Galco both make "belly band" type holsters, which are essentially nylon "obis" with slots sewn in them for guns, magazines, handcuffs, folding knife, etc., with elastic and Velcro at the ends to provide the necessary range of adjustment.

These work reasonably well if you are carrying a small, light gun.  I used to carry a Smith Model 3914 this way.  A Centennial hammerless would also work.  A 1911 carries poorly in this type of rig, unless it is a compact alloy-framed gun.

Bear in mind that the draw from these types of "holster" is pretty slow, since you have to pull up your shirt, undo the velcro thumb break, and draw (hoping not to snag on your clothing during the draw).

With shorts and t-shirts, I've taken to wearing a photographers/fishing vest and just using a normal IWB holster.  The gun rarely prints.  My cell phone sticks out more.

Our local Sheriffs Deputies wear Hawaiian shirts to conceal their guns at lunch time.  Like that doesn't stand out!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top