Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2009 9:13:30 PM EDT
I just moved here two weeks ago from CT where the sky gods are not angry, so forgive me for asking. What's up with the tornados? Scary stuff!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to Tornado Alley - East.

HKO
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no reason I can think of to move from Conn. to Memphis.  You need to come up here to Nashville son.  Where all the yankees come
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There is no reason I can think of to move from Conn. to Memphis.  You need to come up here to Nashville son.  Where all the yankees come

Yes, and please keep them. We have enough problems with out adding Yankee's to the mix.........
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I dunno. I'm really starting to like this place. I was just downtown on Main Street tonight and it was pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno. I'm really starting to like this place. I was just downtown on Main Street tonight and it was pretty awesome.

Yeah, Memphis can be neat for a couple months......then....it begins sucking just a little more each day.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Memphis = the Detroit of Tennessee
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Memphis = the Detroit of Tennessee

That's what everyone keeps saying, but I guess I don't want to believe it. Everyone seems so nice and there's a lot to do. Perhaps I'm a hopeless optimist, but I see a lot of happy people in this city.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:29:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Enjoy it until you dont then get out in the country. The further you are from Arkansas, Miss. and AL the smarter you become. You dont notice it at first but you've lost 5 IQ points just by being that close to them for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Enjoy it until you dont then get out in the country. The further you are from Arkansas, Miss. and AL the smarter you become. You dont notice it at first but you've lost 5 IQ points just by being that close to them for a few weeks.

I'm currently looking for a house. I'm currently staying with a friend in Cordova, and just assumed I'd stay around here.  If I weren't going to look in the East Memphis/Cordova/Bartlett area, where would you suggest? Those previously mentioned areas seem so convenient to everything, but I'm open to other ideas.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#10]
You are better off in Collierville or Germantown if you are going to stay in Shelby County.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#11]
What part of town do you have to commute to daily?

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What part of town do you have to commute to daily?

That's the thing; I work from home. I could live anywhere. I looked at a place on Jefferies Cove, just off of Kate Bond near Wolf Chase Mall. I thought it was great, 3 bedroom, 2 bath for $115K. Then I drove through the neighborhood at night. Needless to say, I'm still looking. There are some nice neighborhoods near the Botanical Gardens off of Perkins in Memphis, but I don't the area very well. Germantown looks nice, but it's more than my budget allows.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I work out there by the gardens that you mentioned.  I would highly suggest that you take a drive around.  That is a funny area, you do not have to drive very far before you hit some bad areas.  There used to be a mall on Perkins just on the other side of 240 and it had to close down and get bulldozed because it became famous as a dumping ground for bodies.  Check out Collierville, there are plenty of houses there for sale and I am sure that you can find some deals.  Otherwise, go south to Olivebranch.  If you have kids or plan to have kids anytime soon, make sure that you are out in the county school district.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I work out there by the gardens that you mentioned.  I would highly suggest that you take a drive around.  That is a funny area, you do not have to drive very far before you hit some bad areas.  There used to be a mall on Perkins just on the other side of 240 and it had to close down and get bulldozed because it became famous as a dumping ground for bodies.  Check out Collierville, there are plenty of houses there for sale and I am sure that you can find some deals.  Otherwise, go south to Olivebranch.  If you have kids or plan to have kids anytime soon, make sure that you are out in the county school district.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to limit my search to Germantown, Collierville, Lakeland and Arlington; skipping Bartlett and Cordova. Are there any other towns I should include?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top