Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 4:22:28 PM EDT
Looks like all the candidates for Buffalo mayor have ED plans, hypocritical ones at that if you ask me since they said the Kelo decision was wrong yet they already have specific examples of what they'd do with it
buffalopundit.wnymedia.net/

EMINENT DOMAIN
Two questions dealt with the recent Kelo v. New London SCOTUS ruling on eminent domain. Most of the candidates indicated that they opposed the holding of Kelo, which permits government to take private property by eminent domain for the benefit of a private entity if it will have an ancillary public benefit, like growing tax revenue. Calvaneso and Helfer gave well-reasoned answers, explaining that they thought Kelo was “scary” and “too broad”, respectively, but that they do think eminent domain can play a positive role in urban planning in Buffalo, so long as it’s used judiciously. Gaughan is against Kelo, and Flynn said it was more evidence of the political “duopoly.” Brown? He basically said “me too” to Helfer and Calvaneso’s answers.

Specifically, Gaughan would use eminent domain against “reticent and negligent property owners.” Flynn seemed very out-of-touch, indicating that he’d use eminent domain on the “crumbling, dilapidated” Central Terminal. Helfer pointed to its past use for the police station at Tupper & Main, and Brown said “me too”. Calvaneso said that he’d use it against land owners who refuse to develop their properties, especially the block at Genesee & Oak.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top