Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 7:47:03 AM EDT
Took the wife and kids by Millers to show the wife where I can shoot now.  Anyone planning on making a trip over there better have 4x4 or a quad to get back to the range.  It has become a mudpit.  Looks like Timolina put up some logs to keep people from driving vehicles all the way down to the range.

Hope we get another good snow and freeze for the Jan 21-22 shoot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'll pray for biting cold, which will be the first time since.....well......ever, that I've wished for colder weather.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Aye, went out last week with 2 new shooters, and we got stuck in the muck. Then we ended up packing up early because of the fucking cold, but they had fun plan on returning when it heats up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Im probablly going to bring the quad for the january shoot. Hopefully we get some snow so I can bring out a new creation of mine....
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll pray for biting cold, which will be the first time since.....well......ever, that I've wished for colder weather.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Im probablly going to bring the quad for the january shoot. Hopefully we get some snow so I can bring out a new creation of mine....

I don't know what you've come up with, but hopefully you've mounted one of those jet engines on it that street departments use for melting mass amounts of snow.
(Not that I mind the white stuff, I'm just hoping for a warm place to stand and complain about the temperature)
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sounds as though someone might have mounted another recliner to a set of skis or sheet of plywood.  Can't wait to see this one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
(Not that I mind the white stuff, I'm just hoping for a warm place to stand and complain about the temperature)

+1  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Wasn't to bad today, not sure about all the new signage and no one was around to collect fees but can't complain about condition of the field.  No problems for the Civic, though was a little selective on where i parked.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#9]
If my 4wd isn't in running condition by the shoot, I'll bring my quad behind my little car, just in case it's shitty....it can ferry alot of gear if need be.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
all the new signage

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
all the new signage

Were a couple of new signs with rules and the like, 'no shooting computers' stood out.  I got to that part and it just kind of disolved into gibberish, can't read it can't be held to it right?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Were a couple of new signs with rules and the like, 'no shooting computers'

jeez its getting as controlled as the Indian Hill range.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#13]

I don't know what you've come up with....

Hint: casket lid
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
all the new signage

Were a couple of new signs with rules and the like, 'no shooting computers' stood out.  I got to that part and it just kind of disolved into gibberish, can't read it can't be held to it right?

I saw that, bummer. I wonder what the reasoning is? Glass maybe? Oh well millers is still the best place around to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:08:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I saw that, bummer. I wonder what the reasoning is? Glass maybe? Oh well millers is still the best place around to shoot.

I'd imagine they're just sick of cleaning everything up.  I haven't seen many people take the debris with them when they leave, and sometimes some of the stuff I've seen on the berm looked like it would not be easy to dispose of. Granted, we're paying dues and that should help maintain the place, but I imagine it's still not something Tim enjoys seeing. Personally, I've never drug anything down there to shoot like that, mainly because I don't want to contribute to the mess. Clays and pop cans is all I've shot up but that's not to say I didn't enjoy blowing up hard drives and computer cases.

It's the normal progression of a range, I'm afraid.

I said last year during the winter shoot that we should enjoy these Millers shoots as if each one will be the last, because eventually 1 of 2 things will happen. Either they'll figure out how risky the range really is and shut it down, or the more likely is that someone will hurt themselves or someone else back there and that's it. It won't take much, a stray overshooting that berm and hitting something, neighbors pressuring about noise/risk, or the inevitable someone catches a round from a dumbass not practicing muzzle discipline (and unfortunately we've seen that down there).

It's borrowed time, whether we like it or not.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm...I can't see where a computer is any worse than a washing machine, etc. and we've all seen more than our share of the large stuff there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hmmm...I can't see where a computer is any worse than a washing machine, etc. and we've all seen more than our share of the large stuff there.

Probably just a glass issue with computers. Some people don't differentiate between "monitor" and the rest of the machine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd imagine they're just sick of cleaning everything up.  I haven't seen many people take the debris with them when they leave, and sometimes some of the stuff I've seen on the berm looked like it would not be easy to dispose of. Granted, we're paying dues and that should help maintain the place, but I imagine it's still not something Tim enjoys seeing. Personally, I've never drug anything down there to shoot like that, mainly because I don't want to contribute to the mess. Clays and pop cans is all I've shot up but that's not to say I didn't enjoy blowing up hard drives and computer cases.

It's the normal progression of a range, I'm afraid.

I said last year during the winter shoot that we should enjoy these Millers shoots as if each one will be the last, because eventually 1 of 2 things will happen. Either they'll figure out how risky the range really is and shut it down, or the more likely is that someone will hurt themselves or someone else back there and that's it. It won't take much, a stray overshooting that berm and hitting something, neighbors pressuring about noise/risk, or the inevitable someone catches a round from a dumbass not practicing muzzle discipline (and unfortunately we've seen that down there).

It's borrowed time, whether we like it or not.

Yeah im definately in agreement. I have unfortunately seen some fairly unsafe people at millers before. I fear that its becoming slightly too poplular, not that backyard range that it used to be.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Whats next they tell us no rapid fire, well I don't think it will get that bad. I went today with my lil bro and the lady was compaining about all the shotgun shells all over the place I picked up some but I didn't even bring my shotgun.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Were a couple of new signs with rules and the like, 'no shooting computers'

My first guess would be that it's a housekeeping issue.
Some of the stuff I've seen dragged out there, shot up, then left behind, surprised me.
I wondered if some weren't using it not just as a range, but also as a dumping ground.
Old full size televisions, old fridges, etc. Stuff one would ordinarily have to pay to dispose of.

My second speculation is that maybe Tim is aware of future potential liabilities.

For now, existing shooting ranges are pretty well protected by law from many issues that would otherwise cripple other businesses.
Even the lead content in the berm, which would be illegal for any other business to deposit there is OK, being that it's there from "appropriate use" of the legal firearms that deposited it.

Other compounds, such as cadmium, mercury, barium, leaded glass, etc, commonly found in todays electronics don't fall under that "appropriate use" category,  should the Guv'ment Man come around asking questions about what's in that thar pile o' dirt.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Was out today, and it was MUDDY!! If you have anything less than a good 4WD with good mud or AT tires I would advise you to shoot elsewhere.

I had fun though, a buddy and I went out and set out a collection of milk jugs filled with water and steped back to about 250yrds(or about as far as you could go) and blasted them with an AR and a Savage tactical in 223.

Im amazed at what a 223 does some of those jugs filled with water. I hit one low and it shot up like a water rocket literally 100 feet into the air. Id never seen anything like it! Sweet satisfaction hitting something that size at a distance and watching the effects.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Was out today, and it was MUDDY!! If you have anything less than a good 4WD with good mud or AT tires I would advise you to shoot elsewhere.

I had fun though, a buddy and I went out and set out a collection of milk jugs filled with water and steped back to about 250yrds(or about as far as you could go) and blasted them with an AR and a Savage tactical in 223.

Im amazed at what a 223 does some of those jugs filled with water. I hit one low and it shot up like a water rocket literally 100 feet into the air. Id never seen anything like it! Sweet satisfaction hitting something that size at a distance and watching the effects.

I filled a 2 liter bottle with water and shot it about 50 yards with Wolf 55 gr at my father-in-laws place.  The bottle "blowed up real good"  Bullet was still inside and heavily fragmented.  Who says wolf doesn't fragment.  I think I will bring some jugs & 2 liters to the January shoot.  May fill some with Food coloring hope it snows!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#23]
AHHHHHH! I can't wait to go to Millers again.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top