Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2022 8:33:09 AM EDT

Nothing like a pending mag ban to make one sit up and take notice of whats happening in the overall war.

In case you didnt know, DvB was filed way before the Bruen decision and was at the mercy of the 9th's incorrect scrutiny. However Bruen changed all that and kalis mag ban is in jepordy, and they're on the ropes. A win there will be a win for all of us under the 9th. Theres also mag ban challenges in Wa. courts to pay attention to.

Consider donating to the 2nd amendment foundation (SOF). They're making YUGE strides and making the NRA look like a bunch of chumps.

Start getting aquainted with these two youtube channels. These guys do a GREAT job of keeping us up to date. I lean more towards the WGL guy because he seems to be a seasoned lawyer and doesnt do "sensationalist" type vids.

https://youtube.com/c/WashingtonGunLaw

https://youtube.com/c/ArmedScholar

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#1]
So, it is an affirmative defense if you can show proof of buying a magazine prior to the effective date of this act.

It looks like all of my pmags have a MFG date code but my Sig, CZ, and Armscor mags do not.  Since I usually purchase with cash I have no way to prove when these mags were purchased.  I'm wondering how to document these purchases and am considering taking pictures of the guns and associated mags so that I then have a dated picture showing that they are in my possession prior to the starting date of 114.

Is there any other way of providing proof?
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, it is an affirmative defense if you can show proof of buying a magazine prior to the effective date of this act.

It looks like all of my pmags have a MFG date code but my Sig, CZ, and Armscor mags do not.  Since I usually purchase with cash I have no way to prove when these mags were purchased.  I'm wondering how to document these purchases and am considering taking pictures of the guns and associated mags so that I then have a dated picture showing that they are in my possession prior to the starting date of 114.

View Quote

Does the new bill have prohibition language? Does it say you cant keep what you have before the ban goes into effect?
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Does the new bill have prohibition language? Does it say you cant keep what you have before the ban goes into effect?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what it says:

As of the effective date of this 2022 Act, it shall be an
affirmative defense, as provided in ORS 166.055, to the
unlawful possession, use and transfer of a large-capacity
magazine in this state by any person

Now, as an interesting experiment, go and look up ORS 166.055

IT DOESN'T EXIST. And they know it. Since your legal possession of existing mags depends upon this non existent law, guess what that means?

Then there is what you can use your existing mags for, and where:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I shit you not, that is a damn near word for word copy/paste of the bullshit they passed here. Those paragraphs (A B C D E) were tied to the prohibition language of the bill before they ditched prohibition to get it passed. They could only get votes when they watered it down to a ban on sales/trade only.

BTW section E included that we had to have the magazine locked up during transport.

Wa and Or are trading notes. Fuckers
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
So if I have a CHL, I cannot carry a standard cap mag in my G19 anymore?

How the fuck am I supposed to prove that I got a bunch of my 20/30 round mags that were given to me 30 years ago?
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Youre talking about paragraph C?

I had the same questions before they struck that out of our law. It seems they're saying the only legal purposes is hunting, however CCWing is a legal activity. So is recreational shooting on public land.

Quoted:
How the fuck am I supposed to prove that I got a bunch of my 20/30 round mags that were given to me 30 years ago?
We were going to use photographs (inventory proof) with a newpaper for dateing purposes in the pic before the ban went into effect.

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nope.

A notarized receipt?
Problem is, 99.9% of mags don't have serial numbers, so a photo doesn't really help. It could be a photo of any mag, PROVE that it is yours.
Even the notarized receipt doesn't help much - it proves you paid for A mag, now PROVE that it was this one.

ETA: But as I mentioned above, they are all illegal anyway, since grandfathering is based upon a non-existent law.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Innocent untill proven guilty. Technically, if the judicial system actually works, they would have the duty of proving that you aquired the mags after the date.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 1:57:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm wondering if there's any way this doesn't get put on the books. Wasn't there a bill a while back that passed but whoever it is that publishes laws said it couldn't be put in our statutes because it's illegal? We have several sheriff's saying they won't enforce the mag ban and saying they don't even know what's going to happen about the permit to purchase and training. Maybe if enough sheriff's say it's illegal and that they can't fund the permitting, therefore you couldn't buy a gun which would clearly violate the second amendment, maybe it won't get put on the books? Wishful thinking.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 4:41:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Theres hope fella's!

An End To The "Assault Weapon" And Magazine Capacity Ban!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I shit you not, that is a damn near word for word copy/paste of the bullshit they passed here. Those paragraphs (A B C D E) were tied to the prohibition language of the bill before they ditched prohibition to get it passed. They could only get votes when they watered it down to a ban on sales/trade only.

BTW section E included that we had to have the magazine locked up during transport.

View Quote

Same out of state groups promoting these laws, just sending template PDFs to legislators and initiative groups. Bloomberg/Everytown, et al. So tiresome.

P.s. they will for sure introduce the possession language to WA at a later date, either through legislation or initiative, citing OR as a successful example.

What did I do to prove I owned my mags prior to the sale ban? Nothing. I don't give a shit, and even if I did, I've been buying mags for nearly 20 years and never kept a receipt. If some asshole wants to jam me up for it, I guess I'll be the test case. As it stands, I don't believe the state wants to actually arrest or charge anyone for this very reason. If they do, it will be as an accessory charge against someone who isn't going to fight it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:42:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Donate to Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) they are saying they will be filing suit.
I think I got an email from GOA saying to give to OFF (Oregon Firearms Federation) because they'd be filing suit.

I also donate to American Firearms Association and Gun Owners of America (GOA).

Has anybody heard anything out of the NRA? Of course not.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

As @Boom_Stick noted, paragraph (C) specifies 'While engaging in the legal use of the large capacity magazine," e.g. CCW. That last comma seems critical, as it breaks out legally concealed as a separate activity from the immediately following "shooting range", "recreational activities", etc. That's how I read it anyway.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#15]
The possession component is what really makes me mad for you OR folks. In WA, there were multiple rewrites of the mag bill, including removing the possession part, for which I’m thankful but still concerned they may push for it down the road. IIRC, possession was originally only going to be permitted at home, one’s place of business, ranges and ‘property in immediate control of the owner’ or something to that effect, whatever that meant. Anywhere else, mags had to be locked up and not immediately accessible. There were even rewrites to allow a 17 rd limit to account for most pistol mags in an attempt to recognize common use for self defense, but that fell through.

Biggest issue now is a potential AWB. Given what was identified as an ‘assault weapon’ in I-1639, an AWB passing is gonna impact a LOT.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:58:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

They had to have some kind of language to allow for “grandfathered” magazines. If they didn’t the state would be sued for the value of lawfully owned magazines they outlawed.

That would end up bankrupting the state!
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Innocent untill proven guilty. Technically, if the judicial system actually works, they would have the duty of proving that you aquired the mags after the date.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Problem is, they are counting on people not being able to afford to fight them. Which is probably 95% of the residents now…
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Armed Scholar's videos are 90% crap with 10% info rehashed, and with a click bait title. Annoying as all hell.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 5:03:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Armed Scholar's videos are 90% crap with 10% info rehashed, and with a click bait title. Annoying as all hell.
View Quote

Agree 100%.  That guy seems to be a stereotypical basement dweller as well.  

WA Gun Law is good.  Actual practicing lawyer, actually in WA, knows his stuff...
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:56:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

WA Gun Law is good.  Actual practicing lawyer, actually in WA, knows his stuff...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't armed scholar a lawyer out of CA? I know to look at him it's hard to believe, but I think he said that he is.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#21]
You can take photos and email them to yourself so the date in the email is evidence.

The gotcha is if you miss photographing a magazine. That might be used against you as evidence you DIDN'T possess it, since you photoed everything else.

Seems simple but when I tried to do it I kept finding more AR mags here and there in places. I have a lot. It still don't know if I really accounted for every single one...
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Bumping- as Judge Benitez just hit the CA DOJ with multiple orders requiring them to give any info they have on historical gun control laws that would be worth discussing for their case.  In other words, he is using Bruen standards to decide the case.  Newsome admitted publicly that Benitez is likely going to strike down the CA mag ban, AWB, and their ammo background check law.  Newsome even called Benitez an activist judge, which is interesting.  

Anyhow, CA knows they are on the losing end of this.  Be prepared for a shitload of previously “illegal” weapons to be sold to CA this year when everything becomes legal again.  

I do sure with Benitez would hurry up.  We need to apply the brakes to the idiots in Salem and Olympia who have more hare brained schemes lined up...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top