Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2010 3:41:50 PM EDT
Hello everyone, I started a similar thread but I will be taking 3 rifles to college: 10/22, remington SPS tactical and my Ar15. So that being said I need a place to store them off campus in Prescott AZ. Storage facility is kinda of low on the list because they are classified as explosives so it will cost a surmountable fee.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Trunk of car if possible
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Contact the security desk at the college your going to. Where I went to college, public safety would store your guns in a vault specifically there to house students' firearms.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Contact the security desk at the college your going to. Where I went to college, public safety would store your guns in a vault specifically there to house students' firearms.

this is the way to do it. They are usually pretty cool about it. I even went shooting with the guys who worked at the place where i went.

storing them in your car or dorm is an incredibly bad idea
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I already asked bout storing on campus with the security apparently its not an option. I don't plan to store anywhere near on campus or in my car
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I already asked bout storing on campus with the security apparently its not an option. I don't plan to store anywhere near on campus or in my car

cheap safe or gun locker
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Trunk of car if possible

Wrong answer, killer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Local Gun Club or Shooting Range should offer secure storage, long or short term.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Honestly you might check into a reputable gun or pawn shop in the area. They may do it for little money, especially if they think you will give them future business.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah i would check out the local gun shops and shooting ranges. Best thing would be to find a trustworthy buddy with a gun safe who lives off campus to store your guns. I've done that before when going to college.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Trunk of car if possible

His guns will be in Mexico in two hours with this option.

The best option would be to get an off campus house/apartment as soon as possible. OP, post this in the AZ Hometown forum. There are a few Arfcommers in Prescott/Prescott Valley that could probably point you in the right direction.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
What, no pistol?? Tsk, tsk.

In all seriousness, listen to the advice the guy above me just posted. Ask around in AZ hometown forums, there's got to be other people who have gone to the same college.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Wait?  You can't keep them in a self storage place?  Explosives?????????
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I live in Prescott Valley, and I do not think any gun store would offer a storage option, but that may be possible. A pawn shop might be an option but they are gonna charge you for sure; however there are a number of pawn shops close to the YC campus.

Do you know anyone in the area that would store them for you? Or you can put them in very nondescript storage cases / bags and store them in a mini-storage. I know what you already posted about that but what - they do a monthly inspection and open all your stuff?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]
A firearm is not an explosive, regardless of what some storage management thinks.  Neither is the ammo, though it is flammable.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Trunk of car if possible

Wow....really?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah find a self storage place locally.  A 5 x 5 ft should run around $50 a month.

ETA- Firearms are not explosives OP.  Also you could store other stuff in a 5 x 5 too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah find a self storage place locally.  A 5 x 5 ft should run around $50 a month.

ETA- Firearms are not explosives OP.  Also you could store other stuff in a 5 x 5 too.

These are ripped off very often.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#18]
A gun club may help you out until you make some local friends. That's gun country and somebody's dad will probably store them for you or a friend who lives off campus. Meet some hot chick who has an NRA sticker on the car her rich father bought her...
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hello everyone, I started a similar thread but I will be taking 3 rifles to college: 10/22, remington SPS tactical and my Ar15. So that being said I need a place to store them off campus in Prescott AZ. Storage facility is kinda of low on the list because they are classified as explosives so it will cost a surmountable fee.

Thanks

Which YC campus are you going to? Or is it Riddle? I would try Budget Mini Storage in PV off of Robert Road, they have 5 x5 rooms and smaller I think that would work. If your storing just the guns then I would add some boxes of random stuff in the front and have the guns against the back wall. They are secure and have never had a break in, PVPD uses the facility for SWAT training. I'd store them there and not tell them anything, I actually have a unit there and I'm in and out of it frequently so if you get one close to mine I could keep a eye out for you.

Jason
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

YC is a liberal college, no guns on campus or in vehicles as far as I'm aware. I actually technically go on campus everyday as my daughter attends summer school at Head Start there. This maybe different in Prescott but I'm referring to the Prescott Valley campus.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:11:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm going to Riddle. I'll look into that storage unit. I called the local gunshops and only luck with one, but access to the weapons would be at inconvenient times really.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Get the storage locker, add a stack-on safe for the guns.  Add a few empty boxes and some cheap junk from a goodwill.  Also get a heavy truck bed toolbox for your ammo.   Get a good disk lock for the door.  Don't tell anyone what is in there.  If you go shooting with anyone get the guns out before  you meet them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top